alt text

Source

Magmatic Sinkhole 5R
Instant
Delve
Magmatic Sinkhole deals 5 damages to target creature or planeswalker.

Potentially a 5 damages Bolt for R, at instant speed. Look like something URx xerox want to fight the new planewalkers.
Is this a problem when we already play the two restricted delve spells ?

last edited by Cuikui

More akin to a murderous cut than Bolt. Can't go face.

This is most comparable to Murderous Cut, which saw a tiny bit of Vintage play. It's in a slightly better color, and can hit walkers, but not some large dudes.

"Is this a problem when we already play the two restricted delve spells"

There is effectively no limit on how many delve spells you can play that refuel your hand (Dig, Cruise). The answer for "how many" of those effects to play is "as many as possible". Delve spells that don't draw cards or let you play more cards are limited (almost nobody plays a full set of Gurmags), usually to 1-2, maybe 3 if you have a lot of enablers.

So in other words, if you want to play 1-2 copies of this card there isn't much downside from a delving point of view.

I like that this dodges misstep and pyroblast. 5 Damage to a player on this would be way too powerful.
The decks that would use this probably aren't winning with Lightning Bolt also.

The only downside I see from this is that your removal would become conditional. Being able to deal with a threat when it appears is important. The delve requirement means this may not turn on till turn 2 or 3. That may be too late against some decks.

For me this is the kind of stuff I was looking for when I posted that hasty 4/4 flyer. I mean, it's still 1x1 and the Dragon is actual CA if you kill their PW. But his is way more flexible than Price of Betrayal to deal with Narset and Karn so I'd say it's pretty good.

EDIT: this even makes it very probable you can kill Karn in response to Lattice, which is pretty nice.

last edited by fsecco

@Protoaddict Given the importance planewalker are taking in the format, hitting planewalker is almost as important has hitting creature.

Plus it is a mono red spell that fit direcly into existing shell without needing random Black splash.

Can someone post the text of the card?

@cuikui said in [MH1] Magmatic Sinkhole:

@Protoaddict Given the importance planewalker are taking in the format, hitting planewalker is almost as important has hitting creature.
Plus it is a mono red spell that fit direcly into existing shell without needing random Black splash.

So here is where I disagree with you a bit. This hits walkers but at a great cost of reducing access to other delve cards, and the knowledge that your opponent likely got some value from their walker already. Where as that dragon, while not as good as this card when it comes to mana efficiency, leaves behind value for subsequent use. This is trying to 1:1 trade with something but very likely leaving you with the worst part of the deal if that something is a walker.

Yes you pay for the versatility, but without a face hitting option (which would be INSANE in every other format) this seems meh to me.

@Protoaddict Maybe the delve cost is too high for this to see play. But I think it is the best in is category

Bolt: weak creature, some planeswalker and player
StP: every creature
Dragon: some planeswalker and player
Magmatic Sinkhole: most creature and planeswalker

Also UR has hard time dealing with 4+ thougness creature (Eldrazi, Managorger Hydra). This card is a decent option against this creature without splashing white or black.

@cuikui at what point do you just play dreadbore, if mana permits?

There is (was) a dearth of instant speed affordable red spells that deals with 4+ toughness creatures. Roast is limited in scope and a sorcery, and Rending Volley was decent vs Mentor and not against much else.

There is a TON of value in 1 shotting dack, karn, or the usual big eldrazi, and I wish this cost 1 less, the same as murderous cut.

@BlindTherapy If dreadbore was instant speed and cost R it would see play, but it is neither of the two.

Magmatic Sinkhole is the closest we have of that. But maybe not close enough to see play.

Kills Jace after a +2 in mono-red. That alone is pretty much new territory.

@cambriel red elemental blast and pyroblast both say hello.

@protoaddict said in [MH1] Magmatic Sinkhole:

@cambriel red elemental blast and pyroblast both say hello.

alt text

Should have said "with damage" but yeah, fuck Misstep.

You can run MM in red too. I'm just saying the way you put it, it's not "new territory".

Views