Enchantment (5)
    4x Exploration
    1x Fastbond

Sideboard (6)
    4x Abrupt Decay
    1x Forest
    4x chains of mephistopheles
    1x Swamp

(EDIT: BOJUKA BOG is missing and multiple copies should be in the 75)

Stormanimagus posted an interesting thread about Banned/Restricted list yesterday and it got me thinking about Fastbond. I said it could be unresticted and then immediately backtracked because the card is fundamentally unfair, and then I realized it can be paired with Crucible of Worlds.

So I got to brainstorming about how a deck with Fastbond and Crucible of Worlds could be playable in type 1. This is the list I came up with. And I'll be the first to acknowledge how rough the decklist is.

I wanted to post it to see if anyone else has ideas about directions to take the deck in. The deck needs an alternate win condition.

• TMD Supporter

horn of greed barbarian ring
    instant kill fastbond, glacial chasm, barbarian ring, crucible.
    add bazaar of baghdad, shops, sphere effects so you have time to assemble
    sylvan scrying over crop rotation dodge misstep

you now have a deck called turboland.

• @Juggernaut-GO

I didn't even realize Fastbond and Glacial Chasm work amazingly together.

Barbarian Ring would work as an alt-win.

• Mana Bond is probably better than Exploration.

• TMD Supporter

A friend of mine "converted" his Legacy Lands list to Vintage (it seems all he did was add Fastbond), and I can say my Dredge list can't beat it. Main deck Bojuka Bogs, with more in the side. Losing the game is always a Tolaria West away haha

He eschewed the Stage/Depths wincon in favor of an agonizing Creeping Tar Pit beats game plan. Just awful. I'd like to think a bunch of uncounterable effects that various lands provide should have a place in Vintage, though.

• @AmbivalentDuck

It's not because it doesn't allow lands in your graveyard to be put into play. It has no synergy with Cruicble of Worlds/Bazaar of Baghdad.

• @jimmycolorado

Bojuka Bog was a major oversite in the posted list. I agree, it should be played in multiple copies in Vintage.

I like the idea of those man lands. Dark Depths can be really fast, but it's more vulnerable to the hate in the format.

• @gkraigher Fair point. You should include at least 1x cycling land. The strategy is usually to use the cycling with Life from the Loam to put all of the lands in your graveyard into your hand.

• This deck wants misstep I would argue. It's disruptive, stopping early development and giving you time to get to grinding more easily, and it protects your threats in Fastbond, Crop Rotation, Exploration, Vampiric Tutor, etc.

• It might be slower, but I don't think crop rotation is really playable in vintage right now. Mental Misstep is played in 2/3 decks in the format, and every time you play Crop, you're offering one of the most populous cards in the format a 2 for 1. I suggest Expedition Map instead, even though it's a little slower.

• TMD Supporter

@AmbivalentDuck said:

@gkraigher Fair point. You should include at least 1x cycling land. The strategy is usually to use the cycling with Life from the Loam to put all of the lands in your graveyard into your hand.

I second this. My friend rides at least 1 Tranquil Thicket and has used it as anti-hate insurance: cycle it in response to a crypt or Ravenous Trap to dredge back a Loam. It's not perfect and it still leaves you sans graveyard, but it beats losing everything.

• Both Riftstone Portal and Urborg seem pretty huge, given that 1/3 of your lands don't make mana. It's probably not feasible to squeeze more than the 1 of each you have into the list, but it sure makes the mana easier when you have them.

Probably goofy, but does Entomb work here? I'm thinking of the old jund depths lists in legacy that ran Entomb over Gamble to pitch Loam into the yard right away. With Crucible and/or Fastbond, just getting Strip Mine becomes disgusting in a hurry.

• Tranquil thicket vs Horizon Canopy

I play 1 of each in legacy lands. Both are great as a counter to targeted graveyard removal. Surgical extraction or death rite shaman my life from the loam, I'll counter that effect and draw a card.

While Surgical is less of a threat in vintage than Legacy, the fact that you can crop rotation for Horizon Canopy as a counter is still a really good line.

In this deck, Fastbond + crucible + horizon canopy seems legit.

Advantage, horizon canopy.

• I haven't understood the instawin with fastbond, glacial chasm, barbarian ring and crucible. As long as I understand, with glacial chasm you can destroy 1 land, but not more. without zuran orb or any stripland, how do you get infinite mana? without infinite mana, how do you play barbarian ring enough to kill opponent?

• I've tried building a similar deck before. It seemed to fare great against "fair" win conditions. How do you plan to address decks like Storm? Back then my solution was to use Chalices and a few Mindbreak Traps out of the board, but I don't see much in the way of Storm protection here! You might want to take a page out of the Legacy Land book and utilize Spheres out of the board maybe.

Good luck with the deck.

• @xouman

Barbarian Ring does require a lot.

You need glacial chasm or zuran orb to have a shield or infinite life.

You need Fastbond and crucible of worlds.

You need strip mine and ring. You can use those two to get infinite red mana. Then you stack ring infinitely.

It's not easy. But it is an alternate win.

• @Hrishi

Spheres are the only way to deal with storm. Maybe you could splash blue for in the eye of chaos.

• I like the idea of running Mishra's Workshops, 9 spheres plus chalice, and more Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

• TMD Supporter

@Aaron-Patten said:

I like the idea of running Mishra's Workshops, 9 spheres plus chalice, and more Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Remember Thiim's mono-B Shops Depths deck? Could that be adapted to a Lands build? I like the idea of running resistors, but no clue what one would cut from his list.

For reference: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/342206#online

• @jimmycolorado I think if you're going to go with spheres you need to cut the cards that are not as good with them like the tutors. It's hard to say which is the better version but Lands has the most trouble with not being able to interact so spheres seem like the fix for that. It's something to consider because the worst match-ups are improved while the best ones would take a hit. Seems like a good trade IMO but I haven't played the deck.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.