Vintage Lands Deck

• TMD Supporter

@Aaron-Patten said:

I like the idea of running Mishra's Workshops, 9 spheres plus chalice, and more Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Remember Thiim's mono-B Shops Depths deck? Could that be adapted to a Lands build? I like the idea of running resistors, but no clue what one would cut from his list.

For reference: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/342206#online

• @jimmycolorado I think if you're going to go with spheres you need to cut the cards that are not as good with them like the tutors. It's hard to say which is the better version but Lands has the most trouble with not being able to interact so spheres seem like the fix for that. It's something to consider because the worst match-ups are improved while the best ones would take a hit. Seems like a good trade IMO but I haven't played the deck.

• @jimmycolorado

I like the idea too, but jamming 14 plus cards into this deck that slow down the spells you are casting seems like you are defecting from the decks original intent.

The sphere effects don't just need Workshop to make them good, they need cards like Ancient Tomb as well. Playing a bunch of sphere and hoping to assemble dark depths/stage becomes less of a viable strategy without easy tutors like crop rotation, vampiric, and imperial seal.

• Could you do it with a smaller control list? I wonder if the artifact control suite looked like: E Bridge X4 Crucible X4 Sphere X4 and then the singleton Chalice and Trini? Maybe cut the E bridge if your all in on Depths, but I like it as a control card and then you grind them out with factories and Barbarian Rings?

• You can al so fun Leyline of Sanctity and Aegis of the Gods. (vs storm) People won't be siding in much enchantment or dude hate vs your lands deck.

• updated version of the deck, still very rough.

I don't know how necessary 4 bazaars are towards making the deck funtion.

Land (32)
    1x Barbarian Ring
    3x Bayou
    4x Bazaar of Baghdad
    1x Bojuka Bog
    4x Dark Depths
    1x Glacial Chasm
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Riftstone Portal
    1x Strip Mine
    1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4x Thespian's Stage
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland

Artifact (12)
    1x Black Lotus
    4x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Mana Crypt
    2x Mox Diamond
    1x Mox Emerald
    1x Mox Jet
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Zuran Orb

Sorcery (6)
    1x Demonic Tutor
    1x Imperial Seal
    4x Life from the Loam

Enchantment (5)
    4x Exploration
    1x Fastbond

Instant (5)
    4x Crop Rotation
    1x Vampiric Tutor

Sideboard (15)
    4x Abrupt Decay
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Chains of Mephistopheles
    1x Forest
    2x zuran orb
    1x Maze of Ith
    4x Sphere of Resistance
    1x Swamp

the deck seems like a solid tier 2-3 strategy. If a bunch of cards get restricted, the deck could become a good list to run. Specifically, if Mental Misstep was restricted, I think the deck would be pretty good (tier 1.5). As it is, it still is missing cards and seems inconsistant goldfishing.

In two weeks, I'll be getting together with some Vintage friends and I'll test this list out.

Other cards to consider for the deck:

The Gitrog Monster <--This card is very powerful and could take the deck in an entirely new direction. But it also costs 5 mana.
    Petrified Field
    Tranquil Thicket
    Buried Ruin
    Mishra's Workshop/Tangle Wire
    Standstill/Ancestral Recall/Tropical Island/Underground Sea

• TMD Supporter

I'm testing a lands deck online. I've cut 2 bazaar from my list (I've been underwhelmed.) I did, however, add 2x sylvan scrying. I cut 1 crop rotation (the missteps are plentiful.)

I haven't tested Gitrog monster. It seems like it could be interesting for longer games.

• Have you considered running Null Rod or Stony Silence to help combat fast mana strategies? You can replace Zuran Orb with Dark Heart of the Woods for the infinite mana/life combo with Fastbond and Crucible.

• Maybe the Intuition route would work.

Intuition for Thespian's Stage , Dark Depths, Life from the Loam

One card combo kills in a couple turns

• This post is deleted!

• // 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    1 Black Lotus
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Diamond
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Zuran Orb

// 5 Enchantment
    4 Exploration
    1 Fastbond

// 7 Instant
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    2 Crop Rotation
    4 Mental Misstep

// 32 Land
    1 Barbarian Ring
    3 Bayou
    3 Bazaar of Baghdad
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Karakas
    1 Riftstone Portal
    1 Strip Mine
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Thespian's Stage
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Buried Ruin
    1 Horizon Canopy

// 6 Sorcery
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Life from the Loam
    1 Imperial Seal

// 15 Sideboard
    // 7 Artifact
    SB: 1 Zuran Orb
    SB: 3 Sphere of Resistance
    SB: 3 Null Rod

// 1 Enchantment
    SB: 1 Chains of Mephistopheles

// 3 Instant
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay

// 4 Land
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 1 Ghost Quarter
    SB: 1 Forest

Here is my current list after some thoughts and some possible changes.

1. I opted to run 4 Mental Misstep. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I found having our Exploration/Fastbond misstepped is a huge loss. If they opt to FoW our opener, I can be more ok with it because at least it's a 2-for-1.

2. I tested Punishing Fire engine. It's simply too slow.

3. I really want to think of a good plan B. Graveyard hate is everywhere. I was thinking of either Knight of the Reliquary to make this more of a loam type deck or Dark Confidants for the beat down.

4. Anyways, this is a fun deck, but I don't think it's broken enough for vintage. It almost feels like a turn too slow when people are turboing out mentor or something.

• TMD Supporter

@Naixin look at Tireless Tracker too

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.