Vintage Painter

• So I mostly play Imperial painter in legacy and I just wanted to know how the vintage variants fair after this shops banning. It's mostly Mono Red or RW in legacy, but what do the archetypes look like in vintage? Is it the same or are there colours being splashed? Is it still just a pile of bad cards with some broken synergies (because that is my favorite part :D)? Does anyone have any decklists or experiences that they would like to share?

• Administrators

As far as I know, no one has really done well with a Painter list in vintage that looks much like Imperial Painter out of Legacy. There are some decks that run Painter's Servant though.

One is called Two-Card Monte, and it runs Mishra's Workshop, the Painter's Servant combo, and the Leyline of the Void + Helm of Awakening combo. That list might be more similar to the legacy list you've played. I'm not actually too familiar with how people build that deck, but maybe someone else here can post a list or some basic strategy

The other deck is just called Painter (older lists were called MS Paint), and it's a Blue/Red based combo-control deck, with the Painter combo, but also draw spells, counters, and usually with access to some other kill like Tinker->Robot. I'm a big fan of Painter in Vintage, though I'm not sure if it's a great call in the current metagame. I wrote up a sideboarding guide for a Painter list I was playing to some success a month or two ago. If you're interested in the deck it could be a good place to start.

-> Painter, metagamed for shops/storm/mentor

• If you take the Legacy list and just add the Vintage restricted list to it, you get some upgrades but I'm not sure that those alone make the deck playable.

In the Red/White version you get:
    Mox Ruby
    Mox Pearl
    Mana Crypt
    Mana Vault
    Black Lotus
    Sol Ring
    Balance
    Wheel of Fortune
    Strip Mine

These are clearly powerful cards to add, but is it enough to deal with Oath and Mentor? Unfortunately, Imperial Recruiter cannot find Sulfur Elemental.

I've never piloted the Legacy list, but hopefully some members of this forum are familiar with it.

A Red/Blue list would gain a lot of important cards that would make the deck more consistant.

One advtange the Vintage deck would have over the Legacy version is that you wouldn't run into maindeck Emrakuls at the same rate.

• @Brass-Man Oh awesome, that's really interesting. I've always liked Tinker style decks too so I'll definitely be checking that out. In the current meta filled with Mentors and Gushes do you think that maindeck disruption in the form of things like Sphere of Resistance and such could be beneficial? Especially if the deck is built like a big mana blue/red deck like Landstill or that Sphinx Tribal deck that was floating around here a while ago.

I figured it might not be the best meta call but honestly Imperial Painter in legacy never was and I still play that deck like its going out of style haha!

• I played Painter for a local vintage event a couple months ago, and will probably sleeve it back up this Friday. It was the UR version BrassMan mentioned, splashing black for tutors and Yawg Will.

You're stone dead to Null Rod already, so running Time Vault / Voltaic Key doesn't open you up to anything different. At the same time, you don't get an alt-win that powers through the hate you're likely to see. My tinkerbot of choice ended up being Myr Battlesphere. It's good for buying time vs. monks, and gains a ton of value with Welder.

I ran it as sortof a welder control / painter hybrid and ended up 3-0-1 for a 4 round event. Hardly a significant sample, but I'm a novice vintage player and it felt the most comfortable of anything I've tried out so far.

I could see a variation that was closer to UR painter from legacy and went all in on the combo. Transmute Artifact is basically unrestricted Tinker if all you're searching up is 1 and 2 cmc artifacts.

• @Cambriel So it's definitely a slower more control inclined variant? That's interesting, I'll definitely give it a shot. Splashing black for Tutor and Yawg Will sounds very fun, I like broken things like that. I've usually been inclined to Tinker up Sphinx of the Steel Wind or Blightsteel but Battlesphere is quite fun too.

• I have been playing the below list to some success in a local paper league(until this last week, where I ran into MD stony silences and the mirror), the sideboard bounces between this list and 2 ethersworn cannonist (swapping one sea in the main for a tundra). It was a mistake (and hangover from an earlier list) to not cut one thirst for a DT. Transmute has been actually amazing, most of the time it is just tinker that doesn't suck to get forced, sometimes it's like an awkward extra copy of battleball, but still castable as a Plan B.

Coming from a long time playing bomberman, I've really felt the lack of pressure in this list, which I think is a big risk in the current mentor world. I feel Painter has a natural edge with pyroblasts in the main, but if we fail to go off, their deck is way better at treading water because a single monk kills faster than half our combo. Reading over Brassman's SB guide and the observations on applying pressure, I am starting to think that potentially finding room for a sulfur elemental in the main may not be the worst (maybe juggling around a dack to side). Alternatively, a clique (which might drive me down the MD thoughtseize line). I am all ears to suggestions though.

Side:
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Sudden Shock
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Arcane Laboratory
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Rakdos Charm
    2 Echoing Truth

Main:
    2 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Tolarian Academy
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Volcanic Island

1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Brainstorm
    2 Dack Fayden
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Force of Will
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Grindstone
    1 Mana Crypt
    3 Mental Misstep
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Myr Battlesphere
    3 Painter's Servant
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ponder
    4 Pyroblast
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Time Walk
    1 Tinker
    1 Transmute Artifact
    2 Trinket Mage

• Has anyone tried Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas? I know it's a huge difference but I run it in my legacy painter and it acts as a great secondary win con as well as a way to generate CA/filter towards your combo against control decks.

• @chaosofslayer It's ironic you ask, I was wondering the same thing. I'm actually going to try it out tonight in some casual matches.

• I also wonder about Goblin Welder. He's so good with Dack and baby Jace.

• @chaosofslayer Ive been using Tezzeret AOB and it works really well, especially since I've also jammed the vault-key into the deck as well. Its incredibly fun to play and seems like it has decent game against the field so far.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.