[5/8] [Bazaar of Moxen - Annecy - 65 players]

• results here

3 Xeroxed Mentor decks
    1 5C Humans
    1 Erayo Shops
    1 Bloo Belcher
    1 Traitor Aggro Shops
    1 MerfolkS

• Wow@this merfolks list. I remember months ago when people laughed at me and said vial was trash in vintage. I guess this top 8 means it's still bad, but less trash :P

• If you Misstep the Misstep that Misstepped your Vial it's pretty good. Less Revoker's running around as well.

• TMD Supporter

The twitch broadcast was a lot of fun too. They used a very rudimentary but super duper helpful heads-up display of cards off to the left of the screen when something unusual got played (like, say, a Scab Clan Berserker >.> ). I'd like to see that more in mtg broadcasts.

• what does xeroxed mentor mean? and that erayo shops sounds sweet

• @letseeker said:

what does xeroxed mentor mean? and that erayo shops sounds sweet

Stock mentor lists rooked from mtgo, etc.

• @jimmycolorado said:

The twitch broadcast was a lot of fun too. They used a very rudimentary but super duper helpful heads-up display of cards off to the left of the screen when something unusual got played (like, say, a Scab Clan Berserker >.> ). I'd like to see that more in mtg broadcasts.

It was good, I like a crew that is willing to learn on the fly. Levy was pretty good. The color guy also had good chemistry with the analyst. Really great job jumping between formats. Be awesome if they extract the matches and put them on YouTube, some great vintage content. Some blunders also, but the 5ch guy won anyway.

• The ancient tombs in my Belcher's sideboard should have been Mishra's Workshops but I choose TNT over DHL...

• Hey there,

A quick recap of the experiences I've collected during BOM Vintage 2016:
    Pro:

• Cavern of Souls is nuts
    • Thalia is nuts, as is Scab-Clan Berserker
    • The Stormanimagus-Humans-Decks is real :) It's a Hatebear-styled deck that pressures the opponent from the very beginning to the end of a game. It plays high impact cards that have the benefit of disrupting the opponents game plan at the same time. And, on top of that, you play with black lotus, moxen, recall, walk to get the vintage feeling. Which leads to...
    • ... Play Power in Human-Hatebear-Decks. Turn 1 Thalia vs. turn 2 Thalia can be/is game-changing.
    • All my opponents were very friendly, chatty. It was just awesome.
    • Being lucky in the quarters playing against Belcher (Tolarian Academy was the 11th or 12th card from the top, sorry for you Mr. Belcher ;) )

Negs:

• Missing quite a few Scab-Clan and 2/2 Wolf-token triggers (I've just rewatched my round 5 match against Oath and I'm so embarassed... It was a pain to watch. I was so lucky that I didn't get punished for that missed trigger on Show and Tell. Of course, the game-rule-violating Force of Will wasn't a thing of beauty, as well. It was a badly played game on both sides. So, sorry for that!! Just fast forward should you stumble upon that match...)

I've you've got questions about some plays that can be seen on the coverage (like saccing Abolisher instead of Confidant to the Annihilator trigger) or anything else, I'll try to answer them, of course.

So, I won't be able to write a detailed report because I've lost my "notes". I've faced different variants of blue decks (BUG, Oath, Mentor etc.) and Combo (Belcher) and the deck did what it was designed to do. It has a coherent game plan and is very resilient and consistent (I've won a game where I was Supreme-Verdicted twice...). If you hate playing with or against blue-based decks, this is the deck to pick up. I've found it on this very site a week ago, built it and it apparently worked out pretty good for me ;)

And, last but no least:
    Mr. Stormanimagus, I devote this victory to you and your deck creation. Thanks so much.

Michael

• @mruppen gruetzi Michael, no problems, bricking on the Academy is part of the fun, and still a more honorfull may to die than a misplay :-)

• So what deck won the event?

• TMD Supporter

5color humans

I have to give it to @Stormanimagus.... The deck is no longer just his random pet deck.. Its apprently real and now has to be respected in sideboards.

• @igooazoo
    True :) It was very nice and fun playing you. Thanks!

• TMD Supporter

Anybody know what the 3 missing cards are on the Erayo deck? Guessing x2 Moxes, but can't guess the 60th-

• @Naixin said:

Wow@this merfolks list. I remember months ago when people laughed at me and said vial was trash in vintage. I guess this top 8 means it's still bad, but less trash :P

i guess because mental misstep is prevalent in vintage nowadays but vials are definitely NOT trash against shops. and besides, all 1 CMC spells are misstep targets, not just vials

BTW anyone has a link/ coverage of the match that features the merfolk deck?

• The play mistakes in the Oath match were just part of the botched nature of that game. An illegal play was made when Ricourt attempted to cast a spell on Ruppen's turn AND the commentators incorrectly assumed that Ruppen would have taken 2 from his own Recall had Berserker been in play. Berserker only deals damage to OPPONENTS for noncreature spells. Lots of misinformation disseminated during that particular match in case folks were confused :). S'all good though.

-Storm

• @Stormanimagus said:

The play mistakes in the Oath match were just part of the botched nature of that game. An illegal play was made when Ricourt attempted to cast a spell on Ruppen's turn AND the commentators incorrectly assumed that Ruppen would have taken 2 from his own Recall had Berserker been in play. Berserker only deals damage to OPPONENTS for noncreature spells. Lots of misinformation disseminated during that particular match in case folks were confused :). S'all good though.

-Storm

It was my first ever feature match under a camera and I spent too much energy on not getting distracted by that circumstance. That's not an excuse, but maybe a kind of an explanation... But you're right when you say that this match was botched. I was shocked when I rewatched that match on twich. I'm sure no particularly great player but I'm not THAT bad, I think.

Some chatters said that it was a mistake not to sacrifice Bob to the Annihilator trigger. I thought about that, too, but decided against it for the following reason:
    The opp had Dread of Night in play, so my Abolisher was a 1/1 and my Rider a 2/2. If I had sacrificed Bob instead of Abolisher and my opponent had a removal for the Rider I would not have been able to finish him on the attack back (he was on 2 life). It was kind of a borderline decision but I think that it was not a bad line. Apparently, my opp had no removal and my line looks a little too risky and bad in comparison to just saccing Bob and prevent me loosing in my upkeep. But hey, it worked :)

Michael.

• @rageflash said:

@Naixin said:

Wow@this merfolks list. I remember months ago when people laughed at me and said vial was trash in vintage. I guess this top 8 means it's still bad, but less trash :P

i guess because mental misstep is prevalent in vintage nowadays but vials are definitely NOT trash against shops. and besides, all 1 CMC spells are misstep targets, not just vials

BTW anyone has a link/ coverage of the match that features the merfolk deck?

I played standstill and vial Merfolk because with lords, your mutavaults are bigger than factories and as a fish player, the hardest choice is deciding whether to play a threat or wasteland and vial lets you do both. People called in unviable because of misstep but it was absolutely amazing against shops. Despite shops not being as heavy in this meta, I'm just glad that standstill+vial is seeing some success.

• @mruppen

Another line in that oath game would have been to Not Alpha strike and lose your berserker. That line obviously makes a lot more sense if he is at a lower life total already, but still probably ensures a lethal crack back the next turn and keeps your berserker on the table to make his outs almost 0 other than naturally ripped Time Walk. Just a thought. You didn't need to attack into Emrakul I don't think.

-Storm

• Bazaar of Moxen You Tube Videos

YouTube cuts are up. Some of the Vintage is brutally awful, 2-0 Mentor guy (with gorgeous beta deck) forgets 4 Mentor triggers, allows his mentor to die to a 2 damage spell. Tops that by volunteering to resolve Sylvan Library when opponent has Notion Thief out. Still wins a game?

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.