[5/8] [Bazaar of Moxen - Annecy - 65 players]

@Naixin said:

Wow@this merfolks list. I remember months ago when people laughed at me and said vial was trash in vintage. I guess this top 8 means it's still bad, but less trash 😛

i guess because mental misstep is prevalent in vintage nowadays but vials are definitely NOT trash against shops. and besides, all 1 CMC spells are misstep targets, not just vials

BTW anyone has a link/ coverage of the match that features the merfolk deck?

last edited by rageflash

The play mistakes in the Oath match were just part of the botched nature of that game. An illegal play was made when Ricourt attempted to cast a spell on Ruppen's turn AND the commentators incorrectly assumed that Ruppen would have taken 2 from his own Recall had Berserker been in play. Berserker only deals damage to OPPONENTS for noncreature spells. Lots of misinformation disseminated during that particular match in case folks were confused :). S'all good though.

-Storm

@Stormanimagus said:

The play mistakes in the Oath match were just part of the botched nature of that game. An illegal play was made when Ricourt attempted to cast a spell on Ruppen's turn AND the commentators incorrectly assumed that Ruppen would have taken 2 from his own Recall had Berserker been in play. Berserker only deals damage to OPPONENTS for noncreature spells. Lots of misinformation disseminated during that particular match in case folks were confused :). S'all good though.

-Storm

It was my first ever feature match under a camera and I spent too much energy on not getting distracted by that circumstance. That's not an excuse, but maybe a kind of an explanation... But you're right when you say that this match was botched. I was shocked when I rewatched that match on twich. I'm sure no particularly great player but I'm not THAT bad, I think.

Some chatters said that it was a mistake not to sacrifice Bob to the Annihilator trigger. I thought about that, too, but decided against it for the following reason:
The opp had Dread of Night in play, so my Abolisher was a 1/1 and my Rider a 2/2. If I had sacrificed Bob instead of Abolisher and my opponent had a removal for the Rider I would not have been able to finish him on the attack back (he was on 2 life). It was kind of a borderline decision but I think that it was not a bad line. Apparently, my opp had no removal and my line looks a little too risky and bad in comparison to just saccing Bob and prevent me loosing in my upkeep. But hey, it worked 🙂

Michael.

@rageflash said:

@Naixin said:

Wow@this merfolks list. I remember months ago when people laughed at me and said vial was trash in vintage. I guess this top 8 means it's still bad, but less trash 😛

i guess because mental misstep is prevalent in vintage nowadays but vials are definitely NOT trash against shops. and besides, all 1 CMC spells are misstep targets, not just vials

BTW anyone has a link/ coverage of the match that features the merfolk deck?

I played standstill and vial Merfolk because with lords, your mutavaults are bigger than factories and as a fish player, the hardest choice is deciding whether to play a threat or wasteland and vial lets you do both. People called in unviable because of misstep but it was absolutely amazing against shops. Despite shops not being as heavy in this meta, I'm just glad that standstill+vial is seeing some success.

@mruppen

Another line in that oath game would have been to Not Alpha strike and lose your berserker. That line obviously makes a lot more sense if he is at a lower life total already, but still probably ensures a lethal crack back the next turn and keeps your berserker on the table to make his outs almost 0 other than naturally ripped Time Walk. Just a thought. You didn't need to attack into Emrakul I don't think.

-Storm

Bazaar of Moxen You Tube Videos

YouTube cuts are up. Some of the Vintage is brutally awful, 2-0 Mentor guy (with gorgeous beta deck) forgets 4 Mentor triggers, allows his mentor to die to a 2 damage spell. Tops that by volunteering to resolve Sylvan Library when opponent has Notion Thief out. Still wins a game?

@nedleeds All hail Monastery Mentor. It was his opponents mistake for not including 4 in their list.

@mruppen said:

@Stormanimagus said:

The play mistakes in the Oath match were just part of the botched nature of that game. An illegal play was made when Ricourt attempted to cast a spell on Ruppen's turn AND the commentators incorrectly assumed that Ruppen would have taken 2 from his own Recall had Berserker been in play. Berserker only deals damage to OPPONENTS for noncreature spells. Lots of misinformation disseminated during that particular match in case folks were confused :). S'all good though.

-Storm

It was my first ever feature match under a camera and I spent too much energy on not getting distracted by that circumstance. That's not an excuse, but maybe a kind of an explanation... But you're right when you say that this match was botched. I was shocked when I rewatched that match on twich. I'm sure no particularly great player but I'm not THAT bad, I think.

Some chatters said that it was a mistake not to sacrifice Bob to the Annihilator trigger. I thought about that, too, but decided against it for the following reason:
The opp had Dread of Night in play, so my Abolisher was a 1/1 and my Rider a 2/2. If I had sacrificed Bob instead of Abolisher and my opponent had a removal for the Rider I would not have been able to finish him on the attack back (he was on 2 life). It was kind of a borderline decision but I think that it was not a bad line. Apparently, my opp had no removal and my line looks a little too risky and bad in comparison to just saccing Bob and prevent me loosing in my upkeep. But hey, it worked 🙂

Michael.

I did something similar in my first camera match, messed up a sphere of resistance with a thorn and cast a card I should not have been able to cast. No one caught it, I wasn't sure I had done it until I watched the replay. Pretty embarrassing.

@rikter
Yeah, bad things happen 🙂 But we have to make stupid things to improve, right? And I've watched that particular match quite a few times just to make sure to not forget about that.

Michael

  • 24
    Posts
  • 21565
    Views