alt text

Not sure if an existing deck needs/wants this, but this is an interesting way to fight against Ravager Shops. Turns Hangerback and Ballista into blanks while making Overseer and Ravager into 2cmc 1/1s.

Also blocks a Tarmogoyf/Leovold all day while immune to Assassin's Trophy or Abrupt Decay.

This is my first thread on The Mana Drain, so let me know if I've formatted things wrong or anything.

this makes ravager a 2 cmc 0/0; if things can't have counters placed then they can't have counters placed on them either. same interaction as hangarback/ballista.

If it was a Bear with Deathtouch and drew a card when it died ...

it still wouldn't get played.

It's a bit narrow. It they already have a ballista with a counter on it this does squat, it cannot attack or block into that deck, and it does not solve the issues of spheres because is costs 2.

Not saying its totally squat, but i would like it a lot more if it was creature type human or something.

This post is so no one else comes up with zero hits when they Ctrl+F "Basking Rootwalla" and "Vengevine".

The wording on this one is weird. Does it mean that it simply kills Ravager and Ballista when it enters the battlefield? If so, I'm bummed it costs 2 and not 1 or else I would definitely try it out in hatebears.

I don't believe it removes existing +1/+1 counters

@griselbrother it doesn't kill any ravagers or ballistas that already exist, but will kill all future ones played. same effect as Solemnity.

@blindtherapy said in [M20] Blightbeetle:

@griselbrother it doesn't kill any ravagers or ballistas that already exist, but will kill all future ones played. same effect as Solemnity.

Well, the wording is different, hence my confusion. Solemnity says "can't get counters", whereas this one says "can't have counters". It would make the most sense if all counters are removed, I think.

last edited by Griselbrother

Creatures can't have counters put on them

@ajfirecracker said in [M20] Blightbeetle:

Creatures can't have counters put on them

Ah, yeah, I somehow missed that. No wonder I found the wording weird, lol.

last edited by Griselbrother

I'm pretty sure with this play, a ravager still comes in as a 0/0 with a 1/1 counter on it. We'll have to wait for the official ruling but it seems very similar to situations I would run into with Ravnica Allegiance Drafts playing riot cards with simic ascendancy. Since riot creatures enter the battlefield with the 1/1 counter on them, they wouldn't trigger simic ascendancy.

@khahan someone gave you a bad ruling in draft

"An ability that triggers when counters are put on a permanent will trigger if that permanent somehow enters the battlefield with those counters.
(2019-01-25)"

This isn't a triggered ability but I believe it does in fact prevent creatures from entering with +1/+1 counters

Rule 121.6.

Some spells and abilities refer to counters being put on an object. This refers to putting counters
on that object while it’s on the battlefield and also to an object that’s given counters as it enters the
battlefield.

@blindtherapy said in [M20] Blightbeetle:

@khahan someone gave you a bad ruling in draft

"An ability that triggers when counters are put on a permanent will trigger if that permanent somehow enters the battlefield with those counters.
(2019-01-25)"

Good to know.

@ajfirecracker yeah, I was specifically taking the note from simic ascendancy since it was his example.

last edited by BlindTherapy
    Views