@ajfirecracker said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

You should be able to play Seat of the Synod with this, yes

I guess not because it says cast and not play.

You can always tap it to mill yourself if you hit a dead card. Run Voltaic Key / Top to get deeper than that.

The new 5 mana 3/5 expedition map creature is a shuffle effect (as well as og expedition map). Solemn Simulacrum is a shuffle too if you want to go the basic land route. Inventor’s fair is highly playable as a shuffle.

Best place to play this seems like the Karn combo decks to me, but I guess as a top end in Aggro Shops its strong too.

Hey, if there is a Karn, the Great Creator out does this work on any spell? Is that a route to look at? Maybe in Eldrazi?

@john-cox said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

Hey, if there is a Karn, the Great Creator out does this work on any spell? Is that a route to look at? Maybe in Eldrazi?

Your Karn? No, only artifacts and colorless nonlands. Their Karn? No, only artifacts and colorless nonlands, and you can no longer clear the top card with Mystic Forge's activated ability.

If Myco Lattice is in play, you can any nonland card off the top, in case someone wants to try this in a colored Shop list.

@wagner said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

If Myco Lattice is in play, you can any nonland card off the top, in case someone wants to try this in a colored Shop list.

That seems like an expensive card when trying "chain off" with Mystic Forge. You could bring down the CMC of the deck by running 4 Karn, the Great Creator and run the Mycosynth Lattice in the sideboard (as well as the 4th Mystic Forge).

Yeah, I was thinking with a lattice out.

The last three months have been the most exciting three consecutive months in the history of Vintage for brewers with three consecutive sets giving us an abundance of awesome playables. Mystic Forge joins those rank.

I can't play in the Challenge this Saturday, but if I could, this (Mystic Forge Karn Combo) is what I would play (roughly speaking).
0_1562355573885_Mystic Forge Combo.png

@smmenen Ever missed a Key in the SB? I feel being able to fetch one with Karn could be important. And now you can add the inferior Voltaic one to the SB 😛

I SB out a key regularly, but prefer to have all 4 maindeck.

@smmenen I was thinking a 5th one on the SB.

@smmenen

Do you realize that the other people playing this deck are using Top and Foundry Inspector to play out their entire deck in one turn? Your version only seems to try and get an extra card or two per turn off of Mystic Forge. Is that good enough?

Those cards seem good. I usually draw 3-6 cards off of Forge, because you can mill yourself with Forge itself, and key to do it again if you get stuck on a land. With Top, you draw your entire deck.

last edited by Smmenen

@smmenen said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

The last three months have been the most exciting three consecutive months in the history of Vintage for brewers with three consecutive sets giving us an abundance of awesome playables. Mystic Forge joins those rank.

I can't play in the Challenge this Saturday, but if I could, this (Mystic Forge Karn Combo) is what I would play (roughly speaking).
![0_1562355573885_Mystic Forge Combo.png](/assets/uploads/files/1562355576023-mystic-forge-combo-resized.

Well this strategy won the vintage challenge this past weekend:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-challenge-2019-07-14

@smmenen I played a 4-1 league on the list in the Spice Corner of my article last week (Mystic Forgebots), the combo is pretty legitimate and easy to pull off.

![0_1562355573885_Mystic Forge Combo.png](/assets/uploads/files/1562355576023-mystic-forge-combo-resized.

Well this strategy won the vintage challenge this past weekend:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-challenge-2019-07-14

Well, this strategy also did really well at the NYSE.

I saw lots of 4 Forge/4 Grid/ 4 Karn, TGC /4 Top decks running around MTGO in the last few weeks, and didn't think it was a great surprise or big secret. The only questions I had were at the margins, like whether - or how many - Karn Scions you run, and marginal lands.

Andy Probasco covered alot of the ground in his preview article.

4 Grid is obv. insane because Sphere impedes you from drawing your deck, whereas Grid does not.

I would have played this at the NYSE, and expected it to be the best deck, as I explained in our podcast we recorded at the beginning of the month (but still hasn't been posted).

last edited by Smmenen
    Views