One card I always wondered about in vintage dredge is faithless looting. Nobody plays it, and I think the color has something to do with that, but draw 2, discard 2 for one mana (and then having flashback) seems like it would be great for what the deck tries to do - dredge. I could also see a legacy version throwback - breakthrough. Could there be some sort of rainbow colored dredge that could run lootings and breakthrough to some degenerate effect? Bazaar is still bazaar, but having a bunch of spells that mimic the effect or have a draw 4 for 1 mana component seem really good. Breakthrough also pitches to FoW and FoN, so there's that, too.

Experience has shown that 1-mana enablers like Faithless Looting, Careful Study, Cephalid Coliseum, Breakthrough (etc) are not as effective as simply finding and using Bazaar of Baghdad

Of course if you try some of these cards anyway and find them successful and consistent, we will all be quite interested at that point

is playing 12 cyclers even better than playing 8 blue sources and 4 fatestitcher? you effectively need to draw 2 of 12 cyclers to have the same value as 1 of 8 lands

@blindtherapy

Cycling cards would be better post board, but Stitchers are much better game 1 since some of those blue sources can be 0 mana: Sapphire, Petal, Lotus, LED and it gives you a creature in play to trigger Amalgam+Therapy.

@ajfirecracker So here's a list I've been tinkering with:

// V_1_rainbow dredge

// 60 Maindeck
// 4 Artifact
1 Mox Diamond
1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Sapphire

// 23 Creature
4 Golgari Grave-Troll
4 Stinkweed Imp
1 Ichorid
4 Narcomoeba
4 Bloodghast
1 Flame-Kin Zealot
4 Fatestitcher
1 Sun Titan

// 4 Enchantment
4 Bridge from Below

// 8 Instant
4 Force of Vigor
4 Force of Will

// 9 Land
4 Bazaar of Baghdad
2 Mana Confluence
1 Dakmor Salvage
2 Gemstone Mine

// 12 Sorcery
4 Breakthrough
2 Cabal Therapy
3 Life from the Loam
3 Dread Return

// 2 Sideboard
// 2 Instant
SB: 2 Darkblast

I don't have a sb yet. I discovered faithess looting is just a bad bazaar effect for 1 mana. Breakthrough, on the other hand, is absurd. Dredge x4 + discard your hand for 1 mana is bonkers. I've turn 2ed very consistently with this, and often because the second land I play casts breakthrough. You are able to flip 20+ cards off breakthrough fairly regularly. If you land a "blue mox" effect on turn 1 with a bazaar, you can cast breakthrough and chain off of therapies and returns into titan and mill your whole deck turn 1 for a zealot win...all while still having 4x FoV and FoW main deck.

I think breakthrough is the speed card that may have been missing to make "pitch" dredge explosively fast. The one downside I see is that you can't play breakthrough and keep up FoW + blue card unless you cast breakthrough off of a lotus. But I don't know if that's a back breaker. You can still proactively Vigor, you just have to rely more on therapy to clear the way...or you hold breakthrough and use it as the FoW fodder if you expect rav trap/extraction to be cast. Pact of Negation or unmask may work as replacements for FoW.

This deck isn't 100% tuned, but it is crazy fast and consistent and still has the 8x pitch spells to ram through hate. Let me know what anyone thinks.

Mox Diamond? I think if you're very heavy on blue stuff Chrome Mox would be the first "fixed" Mox to go for, although when you're discarding your hand frequently IDK if you even want your disruption to be blue pitch spells as opposed to black pitch, artifacts, lands, Leylines or Chancellors

I also think you want Lion's Eye Diamond in a Fatestitcher list that's planning to discard its hand frequently

Finally, that's an awful lot of deck-slots devoted to normal Dredge stuff. High 30s to low 40s is the card count you typically see these days and you're getting towards the low 50s here. That's 2-4 whole playsets of disruption effects you're giving up for these extra speed elements, a trade-off that should leave you better positioned against Dredge "mirrors" but worse against most everything else (in my opinion). You also didn't manage to squeeze in Serum Powder so you're likely to have slightly worse consistency than you might otherwise achieve.

I'm not saying any of these are fatal issues, just where I would focus my testing energy if I was trying to get something like this to work

last edited by ajfirecracker

@ajfirecracker I think lion's eye is good with fatestitchers. I actually changed my build and cut FoWs for max cabal therapy, max stitcher, and 3 dread return. Honestly, the force of vigor seems like the all star to me. It gets rid of main hate, turn 1 spheres, turn 1 oath, time vault, and anything else that is much of a threat. I found FoW underwhelming in most games as I always wished they were something more dredge related.

Force of negation didn't play out well for me even before this list and FoW always felt weak...odd as that is to say. It seems to me the deck wants to be fast and have a bomb answer (vigor) for the biggest turn 1 threats. The FoW build seems like it can disrupt a lot, but it's a lot slower. You can slow roll with bridges and ichorids and hoogaak, but I find there's something to be said for winning on turn 2 consistently. FoV just gives dredge that maindeck answer it always wanted.

In the fatesticher version, LED it's the best card you can draw, apart of bazaar. It lets you dredge from t1, and unearth fatesticher. That's a 95% chance of T1 win. I don't know why you would play any other rock over it.

With London mulligan, I'm thinking in play full set of mox diamond and dakmor savage, in addition to the 4 mana rocks (Lotus, LED, shapphire and petal). Obviously it's even a more combo version, with less interaction.

@nsammael My current version runs LED and 1x mox diamond. I could see going up to more, but there are only 5 non-bazaar lands I'm running and slots are at a premium. As far as interaction goes, I've found FoW and FoN to just be eating up valuable slots more often than they are game-winning. FoV is the disruption the deck wants, and it's a great main 4x of. I am sure with 8x FoW/FoN, the deck has more interaction and can prevent some turn 1 losses, but it slows its own strategy down 3+ turns to do it in many cases. A fatestitcher version with 4x FoV main can turn 1-2 kill fairly consistently and can blow up anything hindering/threatening to make that happen. I'm loving fatestitcher/breakthrough w/ 4x FoV.

The version i'm thinking about has some more lands, 4 dakmor + 4 paradise + 2 "free slots" (It could be petrified field, riftstone portal, wasteland and strip mine...) And 4 Diamonds.

As I said, it's more combo focused, but It has 2 FoV, though It could be 4 (i'm afraid not having enough green cards)

Views