Hello, I haven't played much Vintage lately, but after seeing Force of Vigor, I wanted to see how it would work in one of my pet decks, Elves! Here is the list I came up with, I would like feedback on my list:

Mana (15):
8 Forest
2 Gaea's Cradle
1 Dryad Arbor
4 Elvish Spirit Guide

Creatures (33):
2 Llanowar Elves
2 Fyndhorn Elves
2 Elvish Mystic
3 Quirion Ranger
4 Birchlore Rangers
4 Heritage Druid
4 Nettle Sentinel
4 Wirewood Symbiote
4 Elvish Visionary
2 Priest of Titania
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Archon of Valor's Reach
1 Craterhoof Behemoth

Draw/Tutor (11):
4 Glimpse of Nature
4 Green Sun's Zenith
3 Natural Order

Sideboard:
4 Ravenous Trap
4 Force of Vigor
3 Reclamation Sage
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Collector Oupche
1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

Only 2 Cradle, because having Cradle as the only land in your opener is brutal.

Archon of Valor's Reach is a very powerful card. It straight up stops Workshops from playing, is quite good against Xerox, as well as Outcome.

Collector out of the board is a tutor target for Shops, Outcome and the like.

Ruric Thar is for Outcome.

What are everyone's thoughts on my list? Anything you would add?

Cavern of Souls seems obvious?

Cavern of Souls, while good, hardly even shows up in Legacy lists. I honestly don't think it's needed.

I would play Cavern too. Mental Misstep isn't legal in Legacy.

Sure, but I could also play Gaea's Herald without compromising my mana base to Wasteland, without spending a fortune on a playset of Cavern.

It slows down your combo, but I would strongly consider maindecking the 4 Force of Vigor (or at least SOME number of them). I think it's remarkably strong in the format right now, and I've personally considered taking a look at Elf Combo entirely on the back of the card. I like to see someone taking a crack at it, and I love the Archon of Valor's Reach tech.

I think it makes a lot of sense to maindeck the Collector Ouphe as well. With 4 Green Sun's Zenith in the deck already, that gives you access to a ton of disruption with a minimal investment. I think you could make the case for several other disruptive creatures as well? (A splash for Gaddock Teeg comes to mind.) but I understand that each non-elf you add to the deck is going to slow you down. Ouphe is the best of them though, and is probably worth the slot.

I wonder if you want any of the new Canopy lands? (Horizon Canopy/Waterlogged Grove/Nurturing Peatland) it seems like the damage is pretty negligible for this deck, and you can quickly get enough mana generation on the board to make all of your non-Cradle lands redundant.

I think it's likely that the optimal version of this deck runs a second color, (blue for power?) and pretty obviously Black Lotus and Mox Emerald, but it sounds like you're building this with a budget in mind and they certainly aren't necessary for this deck in the same way that they are for an Outcome list.

Gaddock Teeg, while a great disruptive card, shuts off my own Green Sun's Zenith and Natural Order, so I don't think it's worth it in my mind.
I could see slipping in the Collector into the main, but I don't really think I need the Force of Vigors maindeck, seeing as I have access to a tutorable and recurring removal in the form of Reclamation Sage. There used to be a time where Reclamation Sage + Wirewood Symbiote was lights out for Workshops, maybe if I include Collector, that can be true again.
Can you think of any other Green Tutor Targets?

Elf combo seems a bit slow in the current meta. That is why he is suggesting Force of Vigor and Ouphe. These cards can help you make up the speed difference. I think ultimately a hate bear list is better for unpowered though.

Views