FYI, I played a Teferi Jeskai list to the top 8 of the most recent challenge and Teferi was great for me all day. I'm not sold on the red portion of the deck and the overall decline in Dack in the metagame makes me question if this was an isolated incident. There were my two copies and the three copies in the 29th place list. That's it. Last week there were 6 copies in two decks. They finished 30th and 31st. I think there are many reasons for that, but they are outside the topic of the discussion. The point is without Dack, you lose one of the main reasons to play Jeskai and options such as this look much better.

And for the record my tournament was a fun experience of:
Dredge x4, Survival, Red Hate (TMWA), and Karn Forge.

@chubbyrain

I can’t imagine a reason for wanting Dack Fayden. If you need a three mana walker, the Nth Teferi or the Nth Narset seems a lot better.

Aside from typical Delver stuff like Pyromancer and Bolt, I think a lot of people who play red do so for Pyroblast (on Narset or Lavinia) but depending on how explosive your deck is you can accomplish the same thing with Chain of Vapor or Void Snare.

last edited by desolutionist

Gush and a mana base of only island duals seems a bit greedy for 4 colors. I think that you could improve your % by a quite a bit just changing into some non-blue duals.

The other major component of my current list that this is missing is the large number of 3 and 4-ofs. This provides consistency despite not playing preordain. Singletons can be fun, but sometimes you want to be able to rely on getting to certain aspects of your deck.

@vaughnbros
They’re not really singletons though?

@wfain

Leo, Plow, Trophy, Decay, all the restricted cards. Then only 2-offs for most of the rest of the deck. This is a fairly different structure in terms of consistency.

@vaughnbros
Decay, Trophy, and Plow largely do the same thing, but variety in those slots makes Snapcaster much better.

Leo is more like a third Narset.

I’m not sure why you’re talking about consistency issues that I haven’t had? In my experience the more varied and flexible your midrange deck is the better chance you have of adapting to whatever the situation requires. Your list seems functionally much different to me, more of a fish style than what I posted. Certainly no less valid, but I’m not sure we can connect conclusions drawn about one to the other.

last edited by wfain

Which calls into question as to why do you only want 3 copies of Narset/Leo? Why do you only want 3 removal if you’ve decided it’s good (I personally think trophy is far and away better)? Why only 2 Snapcasters if you are making deck building decisions around the card?

I’ve actually added a larger black splash to put 6-7 versions of the Chains effect in my deck now. Just like I’ve gone to 6 Forces. The consistency is a big component of the deck. It allows you to reliably play the same gameplan almost every game.

It’s just a suggestion though, if you don’t want to take it, you can go with what you have here.

I was interested so I pulled up Lances list to post it here. I think it looks pretty neat.

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
4 Collector Ouphe
4 Deathrite Shaman
1 Dig Through Time
2 Force of Negation
4 Force of Will
3 Gaddock Teeg
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Karakas
3 Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Narset, Parter of Veils
1 Ponder
1 Savannah
1 Strip Mine
3 Tarmogoyf
4 Teferi, Time Raveler
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise
2 Tropical Island
2 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
4 Wasteland
2 Windswept Heath

2 Ceremonious Rejection
4 Containment Priest
1 Forest
1 Manglehorn
2 Meddling Mage
2 Mother of Runes
2 Ravenous Trap
1 Stony Silence

I’m sure Blue mages are scared off by the Gaddock Teegs. 4 Ouphes is a nice touch. No secret what you’re trying to do there.

I have been toying with a list similar to the one above, I shaved the creatures down a tad for addition of green suns zenith.

GSZ with teferi let's you eot a creature into play preventing your opponent from being able to sorcery speed remove it.

It also does a neat "Notion Thief" effect when someone brainstorms or PO's and you tutor up a leovold at instant speed.

The last trick I've enjoyed with instant speed gsz is Loaming Shaman for dredge.

@vaughnbros said in Teferi Midrange:

Which calls into question as to why do you only want 3 copies of Narset/Leo? Why do you only want 3 removal if you’ve decided it’s good (I personally think trophy is far and away better)? Why only 2 Snapcasters if you are making deck building decisions around the card?

I’ve actually added a larger black splash to put 6-7 versions of the Chains effect in my deck now. Just like I’ve gone to 6 Forces. The consistency is a big component of the deck. It allows you to reliably play the same gameplan almost every game.

It’s just a suggestion though, if you don’t want to take it, you can go with what you have here.

My conclusion on the 2 Narset/1 Leo situation was based on A) those cards are only really good against other blue decks and I expect most players to play Shops or Dredge right now, B) I’m already playing 2 Teferi, Monastery Mentor, and the Snapcasters that also require (at least) 3 mana.

2 Snapcaster follows some of the same points. But I don’t think keeping something in mind when making decisions is a bad way to build midrange decks. In fact, I feel the opposite. If I’m going to play any number of Snapcasters having some diversity among my spells is added value (especially if they work similarly in most situations).

As to the consistency thing; like I said earlier, I’m pretty sure your list is playing a completely different style of game. It may be a better style. I don’t know. But where you see a bunch of 2’s and singletons I see packages of cards that operate along the same lines.

Views