SMIP # 92: Magic 2020 Vintage Set Review

We recorded this a few weeks ago, but it's just went live this week. As you can see, we were really big on Mystic Forge.

https://www.eternalcentral.com/so-many-insane-plays-podcast-episode-92-core-set-2020/

0:01:00: Announcements, report card update
0:09:10: Steve’s recent Dredge performance
0:26:38: SCGCon 2019 Predictions/Results
0:33:10: Core Set 2020
0:34:05: Mystic Forge
0:52:25: Flood of Tears
1:00:40: Drawn from Dreams
1:01:55: Cavalier of Flame
1:07:30: Lotus Field
1:09:45: Embodiment of Agonies
1:13:35: Chandra, Acolyte of Flame
1:22:30: Drakuseth, Maw of Flames
1:24:30: Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer
1:27:22: Manifold Key
1:33:22: Veil of Summer
Total runtime: 1:45:40

Enjoy!

last edited by Smmenen

I enjoyed this episode in the way I always enjoy SMIP - it's the best MtG podcast out there, and I'm really grateful for you and Kevin for what you do.

However, it was a weird experience listening to predictions of cards that were already released and seeing play. In the future, I'd maybe consider a different approach to predictions when the cards are already out there. Betting big on Mystic Forge isn't really an insightful call when at the time of recording it was already putting up strong results.

In your discussion of Mystic Forge, you came to the conclusion that common hate cards don't address the card.

I think you may have overlooked that Grafdigger's Cage neuters the main ability.

@stuart said in SMIP # 92: Magic 2020 Vintage Set Review:

I enjoyed this episode in the way I always enjoy SMIP - it's the best MtG podcast out there, and I'm really grateful for you and Kevin for what you do.

However, it was a weird experience listening to predictions of cards that were already released and seeing play. In the future, I'd maybe consider a different approach to predictions when the cards are already out there. Betting big on Mystic Forge isn't really an insightful call when at the time of recording it was already putting up strong results.

But that’s not true. As I said in the original post we recorded this several weeks ago. Specifically, we recorded this the week of July 8th.

See: I zipped my audio file and upload it for Kevin on Thursday, July 11th, before the card was even officially released in paper:

see

we were predicting a card that had no top8 appearances at that time.

I was frustrated that this didn’t go live before the NYSE because I made big predictions about what I thought would top 8. But Kevin had some personal schedule conflicts and wasn’t able to get this up any earlier.

Knowing that, does it change you conclusions?

last edited by Smmenen

when at the time of recording it was already putting up strong results.

Sorry, I guess this is where I misspoke - you're right that Mystic Forge didn't have any finishes yet. My intended point was that it's more enjoyable and interesting to listen to you guys make predictions when no one knows anything yet. In this case, there were already Mystic Forge decks running around at the time of recording, so the predictions were less interesting than usual.

when at the time of recording it was already putting up strong results.

Sorry, I guess this is where I misspoke - you're right that Mystic Forge didn't have any finishes yet. My intended point was that it's more enjoyable and interesting to listen to you guys make predictions when no one knows anything yet. In this case, there were already Mystic Forge decks running around at the time of recording, so the predictions were less interesting than usual.

I'm not really sure exactly what that means. Andy Probasco previewed the card with the Team Serious guys, and posted a quarter dozen decklists at that time. So, the card arrived with people presenting decklists. Given that, it wouldn't really be possible to make predictions when "no one knows anything yet."

I'm not sure we can ever make a prediction when no one knows anything, as the very day, and often hour, that cards are spoiled, people are making commentary and drafting decklists.

That said, we made these predictions before a single Mystic Forge appeared in a Top 8, and more importantly, before the card was even officially released into paper, and long before the NYSE.

Personally I found listening to the episode after having a strong sense of what cards were good or not (from NYSE if nothing else) to be less than thrilling. I think a lot of the psychological value of a podcast with predictions comes from the listener not knowing and being able to reshape their expectations.

However, I am sympathetic to the fact that you have personal lives and sometimes things come up.

As I said, we recorded it the week of July 8, but Kevin was unable to edit and upload the audio due to personal life conflicts and occurrences. I really wanted it to go live before the NYSE, but this isn't Kevin's day job.

This wasn't the first podcast review show that came out "late," either, in the sense of cards being played sooner than our podcast came out, even if it was recorded much earlier.

last edited by Smmenen

What Steve and Kevin put together for us on a regular basis is awesome and I appreciate the free content.

I’m stoked for the next meta analysis.

Thank you. We don't even have a patreon or ask for support for this. It's just a labor of love. I have no quarrel with the feedback that someone wishes it had come out earlier, but it's frustrating when someone says that, but doesn't acknowledge that we did actually record it earlier. We even said in the episode when we were recording it, and made predictions for the NYSE.

In any case, there is a great deal more content here than Mystic Forge. I talk about Dredge, review our SCGCon report card, and we many review other cards in the set.

My bad - I focused on a nitpick, which came off as more negative than I intended and which isn’t what you guys or TMD need. As always, great show and appreciate what you guys do.

The podcast is freely available content focused on a niche subhobby of a niche hobby that we're lucky to have. It's lively, thought-provoking, and consistently entertaining. Attacking Stephen and Kevin's generous work in wholesale fashion reeks of unjustified entitlement. Props to Stuart for addressing this in the comment above.

I look forward to every new episode of SMIP. It always makes for a great workday. Thank you for all you do.

@brianpk80 said in SMIP # 92: Magic 2020 Vintage Set Review:

The podcast is freely available content focused on a niche subhobby of a niche hobby that we're lucky to have. It's lively, thought-provoking, and consistently entertaining. Attacking Stephen and Kevin's generous work in wholesale fashion reeks of unjustified entitlement. Props to Stuart for addressing this in the comment above.

Who is attacking their generous work in wholesale fashion? I said it's less exciting to hear predictions after the cards come out and have a chance to be played, but I'm sympathetic to the personal obligations that apparently made that impossible. How could you possibly criticize something in a way that is less of an attack in a wholesale fashion?

@ajfirecracker said in SMIP # 92: Magic 2020 Vintage Set Review:

@brianpk80 said in SMIP # 92: Magic 2020 Vintage Set Review:
How could you possibly criticize something in a way that is less of an attack in a wholesale fashion?

Easily. Anyone with the most basic training in communication could answer that. "Nice work. I wish it came out earlier, but life happens."

You instead put forth a smug psychology lesson to deride the show as "less than thrilling." The insult was voluntary and intentional.

Whatever, man. You can take what I said at face value or you can read some sort of smug insult into it. I don't think the latter is a reasonable interpretation but there's not really anything I can do if that's what you're determined to believe.

@ajfirecracker yes, whatever.
Anyway, thanks Steve I really enjoyed this podcast. To me for example, it was all new since I stopped following magic for the last month or so, so it was like watching an old movie, but for the first time. Really good job guys. And thank you . Its obvious that passion moves you guys. And is cool to listen to passionate people talk. They are so rare these days.

last edited by Megustalabanana

Another excellent episode, keep it up!

Views