@msg67183 said in Powerless Vintage Painter?:

My favorite unpowered deck is Elves. It feels like a broken combo deck, without the giant price tag. It is still to this day the best performing deck at Eternal Weekend for me, and I played it back in 2013.

Yes! That is how I used to play the deck, but now that we have access to a tutorable Null Rod, I feel a different approach is needed.

Hello all!
I really don't have much of anything in the way of Legacy or Vintage cards, sadly. I'm just asking what a good deck could be good to start with besides Dredge.
I also don't have a playgroup near me, which is why i am trying to get one started. Any ideas on how to start a Vintage playgroup?
DracomnisGT

@thewhitedragon69
I do like that idea. How do you suggest i begin from the decklist at this link?

Thanks,
DracomnisGT

@dracomnisgt said in Powerless Vintage Painter?:

Hello all!
I really don't have much of anything in the way of Legacy or Vintage cards, sadly. I'm just asking what a good deck could be good to start with besides Dredge.
I also don't have a playgroup near me, which is why i am trying to get one started. Any ideas on how to start a Vintage playgroup?
DracomnisGT

2 things:

1. If you're starting your own playgroup, I recommend allowing proxies, in which case a powerless build isn't necessary. In my opinion, without proxies, any non-established Vintage scene is likely to quickly die as people can't play the decks they play on modo, see on streams, etc.
  2. I'm pretty sure there's been multiple threads on this but I can only find two, both of which are podcasts. Wak-Wak and Lone Star Lhurgoyfs

@thecravenone said in Powerless Vintage Painter?:

2 things:

1. If you're starting your own playgroup, I recommend allowing proxies, in which case a powerless build isn't necessary. In my opinion, without proxies, any non-established Vintage scene is likely to quickly die as people can't play the decks they play on modo, see on streams, etc.

You do have a valid point there. In my playgroup, i will allow unlimited proxies until we have good decks minus Power.

Thanks for the idea and referrals,

DracomnisGT

@dracomnisgt The list in that link is basically ad nauseum tendrils with painter/stone jammed in. It utilizes Reap well, but that doesn't go with REB. REB is good in general, but I also dislike calling "blue" on painter as you now allow the opponent to pitch any card - even land - to FoW. I'm thinking of building more around Painter and cards synergistic with a single color choice. Something like naming "White." Havoc becomes a cool card because for 2 mana, you get a 1-sided pyrostatic pillar. 10 spells and you win. You can also play gloom. 3 mana and it's a 1-sided triple sphere effect. By using black/red cards, you also get all the best tutors and goblin welder + goblin engineer.

I'd suggest R/B because of the welders and tutors, but you could try red/white. White has 4x enlightened tutor, great foils to black, and that could let you utilize reap too if you go RGW. The design space is wide open. I wouldn't take a deck with one strategy and jam painter in it. Build around painter and make the grindstone an incidental win.

Views