Weissman cheating at GP Vegas Old School event

Some relevant tweets:

https://www.twitter.com/brian_weissman/status/1165425450090283008

https://www.twitter.com/brian_weissman/status/1165425713102520320

https://www.twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/1165430936701460480

The situation in a nutshell: Athena posts a picture of Brian’s board position after losing to him with her red-based strategy. He notably has two Circle of Protection: Red in play. People realize that his submitted “decklist”/picture of what he was playing only contains one Circle of Protection: Red. Brian won the event, but as the tweet above details, he returned the trophy after this information came to light.

This is arguably a watershed moment for the Old School community and format.

last edited by Mike Noble

@mike-noble I was disappointed to see Weissman act this way. I wonder why he bothered to put that second COP:Red in play; if I were him, I would've been less obvious about how the deck I was playing was different from the submitted decklist.

last edited by Horvath

So many of those early players were shady. Back before the rules were clearly codified and enforced. I remember how crazy it was when team deadguy started calling all that stuff out? Lots of established players were not happy about it at all.

Edit: And now this tweet doesn't exist...

Deleting the image. I just feel bad for the Old School community. They don't deserve this 😞

last edited by ChubbyRain

@chubbyrain I don't think this tweet adds much to whether Weissman cheated or not, since it's based on an unproven claim. Weissman's original tweets were plenty suspicious already, though.

last edited by Horvath

@horvath Was tongue in cheek. It's another chapter in the drama though.

@Horvath
True, because the COP was (or were) most probably in SB and it is very possible that that person only saw the main deck.

I don't know what is the truth behind all this but either ways it just makes me sad because of the person and because of the format. I was expecting better.

last edited by albarkhane

Why didn’t this tournament have decklists? I feel like any event with profile higher than an FNM should use decklists.

They take five minutes to fill out, and even in a friendly/trusted environment, there is value in eliminating even the perception of shenanigans by players.

I think the logic is the pics are a more aesthetically pleasing version of a deck list that shows off the individuality of the list (alters, beta power, signed cards...). That someone could conceivably come up with such an excuse is baffling.

I'm sorry but I'm not following what happened.

The photograph of the deck is in lieu of a printed deck list and there were inconsistencies between the photo and the deck played?

I’m glad no one cheats at Vintage anymore. I had a wonderful time at NYSE. The winners didn’t even take the prize!

@nba84 said in Weissman cheating at GP Vegas Old School event:

I'm sorry but I'm not following what happened.

The photograph of the deck is in lieu of a printed deck list and there were inconsistencies between the photo and the deck played?

From what I could gather, he submitted (or someone submitted on his behalf) a photo of his deck that was different from the one he played. He claimed it was a "testing" list and he wanted his true deck to remain a secret.

He also stated that it's never been an official rule that your photo is a formal copy of your played decklist.

last edited by joshuabrooks

I think returning the trophy was telling. If I won legit and then got accused of cheating, I wouldn't return shit because I know I won legit. Guilty conscience acting on the backlash??

This is all bizarre. I kinda figured the whole point of old school was to not win

@albarkhane Source on the deleted Efro tweet was LSV...

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1165856580027346944

Athena wants to move on and I think that was why the tweet was deleted.

last edited by ChubbyRain

Is it possible to throw the word “allegedly” in the OP’s thread title. I mean, damn.

@nadacool said in Weissman cheating at GP Vegas Old School event:

Is it possible to throw the word “allegedly” in the OP’s thread title. I mean, damn.

Much like deleting tweets, any damage my choice of words caused has already been done.

Just noticed that last year's (2018) champion's decklist photo has only 59 cards MD and 15 sideboard. Probably just missing Black Lotus, but isn't it bizarre how little attention that got?

Views