August 26, 2019 Banned and Restricted Announcement

@protoaddict not sure how big a loser PO is. Cast diving tops without fear of misstep, fastbond is a PO target and provides a ton of value if you hit gluts of land off that first PO. I've seen more than a few PO streamers fizzle when they could have gone on if extra land drops were available on a given turn.

@cutlex I just expect shops to go back to Aggro again. Maybe even with tech like Skullclamp

@cutlex said in August 26, 2019 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

Shops pillar taking one in the nuggets. If PO comes back, doubly so as now it has no defenses against it.

Pessimistically, I am foreseeing the Shops pillar fall into tier 2 for the first time in a long time. I am hoping to be wrong but I am honestly expecting this to be a great time for blue (and green) mages.

Rewind your clock like 6 months and try to remember shops without those 2 cards. Basically the dominant force in the format. Shops was like tier 1 before it got those 2 cards and they put it firmly into tier 0.

@aelien @cutlex Yeah, pre-WAR Ravager Shops lost zero cards. The deck will probably look like 74/75 cards from those decklists with a +R Mystic Forge added for value.

I'm always happy to see changes in the format. Very excited about this. I wonder if restricting both Karn and Forge was the right call - I could see restricting Karn first and waiting for Forge - but whatever, that's cool.
Time to take those Fastbonds and Goblin Welders and Skullclamps out of the trade binder.

@fsecco said in August 26, 2019 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

I'm always happy to see changes in the format. Very excited about this. I wonder if restricting both Karn and Forge was the right call - I could see restricting Karn first and waiting for Forge - but whatever, that's cool.
Time to take those Fastbonds and Goblin Welders and Skullclamps out of the trade binder.

I think Forge was by far the more problematic of the 2 cards to be honest.

@protoaddict said in August 26, 2019 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

@fsecco said in August 26, 2019 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

I think Forge was by far the more problematic of the 2 cards to be honest.

It probably was, but I'd like to see what a Forge deck looks like without Karn to seal things off. For me it was Karn that impeded most counterplay against the deck, while also being Time Vault #2 to #5.

last edited by fsecco

We have so many draw 7s now available to us, I wonder if a fastbond storm deck will come out of the woodwork. I'm excited to try something out. Also, having fastbond unrestricted, does this drive the final nail of gush ever getting back off the list? Interesting things to look forward too

@protoaddict @Mike-Noble And somehow this tier 0 deck became incapable of winning anything. Now remove those cards and keep the reasons the deck was doing badly. I hope to be wrong but I do not expect good things for the robots.

@Aelien I definitely agree with this. Lists will be time warped back six months, -2 worst cards +1 KGC +1 Forge. We will see how that gets treated in this new era of Vigors and Oofs.

last edited by cutlex

Survival might be the best Bazaar deck now...

@cutlex said in August 26, 2019 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

@protoaddict @Mike-Noble And somehow this tier 0 deck became incapable of winning anything. Now remove those cards and keep the reasons the deck was doing badly. I hope to be wrong but I do not expect good things for the robots.

Please don't lump me in with what @Protoaddict said.

This might roughly roll us back to like 3 months ago. BUG should remain the best deck.

Aggro shops gets fucking destroyed by Jund. It's a bye. So if people go back to Ravager shops they will get beaten on by 4 x Ouphe BUG / Jund / RUG. Resolving Noble Hierarch, DRS are also great vs. Shops.

As far as Fastbond in Lands, that's not nearly as big as restricting Misstep. Exploration, and Manabond were decent substitutes and don't have the damage. Crop Rotation / Gamble and Entomb resolving are way more impactful than +1-3 Fastbonds.

Pithing Needle, Cage, DRS, Surgical not getting Misstepped will make dredge less reliable, losing 3 x Green Turds will make FoV less reliable.

This is a huge win for Eternal Weekend. Fuck Mental Misstep, burn in hell.

@nedleeds said in August 26, 2019 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

Aggro shops gets fucking destroyed by Jund. It's a bye. So if people go back to Ravager shops they will get beaten on by 4 x Ouphe BUG / Jund / RUG. Resolving Noble Hierarch, DRS are also great vs. Shops.

As far as Fastbond in Lands, that's not nearly as big as restricting Misstep. Exploration, and Manabond were decent substitutes and don't have the damage. Crop Rotation / Gamble and Entomb resolving are way more impactful than +1-3 Fastbonds.

Pithing Needle, Cage, DRS, Surgical not getting Misstepped will make dredge less reliable, losing 3 x Green Turds will make FoV less reliable.

This is a huge win for Eternal Weekend. Fuck Mental Misstep, burn in hell.

You may actually see Duress again. But part of why Fastbond being such a big deal is clearly the fact that it's not walking into a 4x MM meta to start with. That was the single card that would have prevented it from ever being a deck.

I'm kind of bummed now because my opponent's are still going to have Misstep and Ancestral in their opening hands every game. Except now I don't have Karn or my own Missteps to at least put up a good fight.

@desolutionist You know what they say. It's better to be lucky than good!

@thecravenone

Maybe its time to go back to Misdirection

@desolutionist i can see people tutoring for Ancestral way more often, so that might be a good idea

@wfain said in August 26, 2019 Banned and Restricted Announcement:

Survival might be the best Bazaar deck now...

I don't think so.

Restricting a single dredger is kind of like restricting a dual land but no fetch lands - you're still going to find it pretty quickly and use it over and over. Granted, fetchlands find their target a bit more quickly, but a single GGT is way more impactful than a single of some other draw engine card like Library of Alexandria or Gush.

The logic against MM is laughable to say the least.
I'm In the minority here, but that's ok.

To consider windfall to be unrestricted at any point is ludicrous as well. But I guess since they've "paid attention to vintag these past few months",they're probably correct. Lol.

Views