Card Designs: Hatebears/TPS

• I am going to start this thread because these two archetypes are the ones I'd like to see pushed most with new printings. My reasons for each are very different though.

Hatebears/Humans:

1. I love this archetype and innovate around it a lot so that is my #1 reason for wanting to see it pushed with new printings.

2. I think it is on the cusp of being tier 1 and 1 more solid printing would probably put it over the top and make it solidly tier 1.

3. Humans now fills the role of "keeping broken decks honest" that Lodestone shops used to do. Shops still does this to an extent, but it has been weakened a lot in that role from recent restrictions and has had to turn to become a more inconsistent and aggro-based deck. This would be fine if there was another deck that attacked from a totally different angle that also filled that role. My hope is that Humans can be that deck.

TPS:

1. This archetype has been given almost no love with new printings and it still suffers a great deal to even 1 sphere effect on the table.

2. The possible printings could get very creative and R & D could really think outside the box to push this archetype.

3. Combo has a way of keeping fairer decks in check while also racing unfair decks like Mentor and both those things seem good for a healthy format.

4. Combo is a challenge to pilot so it wouldn't just dominate because most players screw up while playing it like every other turn.

So thoughts?

I'll get the ball rolling with one for each category. I also want to make it clear that I am open to refining these cards based on feedback in the thread. I'm just coming up with first drafts at the moment:

Hatebears/Humans

Arbiter of Silence

1W

Creature - Human Cleric

Activated abilities of artifacts can't be activated.

2/2

TPS

Harr Mists

BBB

Enchantment

Spells you cast cost X less to cast where X = the storm count -1.

• We are long due an Null rod effect on a human. Nice.

I dont know about the enchantment. I dont think storm needs anything printed as much as it wants stuff unrestricted. We have null profusion as "free" draw and nobody runs that, except maybe Academy Rector lists. Defense Grid is awesome right now. I know I had more to say but am a wee bit inebriated to properly articulate my thoughts, lol how about a new leyline, 1BB Mishra's Lair: Enchant world: Start game with it on the battlefield if in opening hand. Spells cast during another players turn costs 3 more to cast.

• What about a card like multanis presence and eye of chaos combined?

Wait Your Turn
    GB enchantment
    Counter all instant spells cast by a player that are not played during that player's main phases. This effect can counter spells that cannot be countered. If a spell is countered this way the other player draws a card.

Templating might be off, but you get the jist. I threw in the last sentence to stop surprise Abrupt Decays, and things like Last Word or Final Word or w ever.

• Soldier of Clarity

GW

Human Solider

Protection from White, Vigilance

Activated and triggered abilities of non-land cards cannot cause tokens to be created or counters to be added.

2/2

Edit: That might be too strong cause it hits every planeswalker.

How about this templating?

Soldier of One

RW

Human Soldier

Whenever a creature token would be put on the battlefield, instead you gain 1 life. Whenever an ability of a creature would add a counter, instead you gain 1 life.

2/2

• White has already powerful humans, and a null rod human would be awesome. Mangara is a decent card that could see play in vintage as it sees in legacy (but I reckon it's very far from mentor power level)

Token herder - 2W
    cat cleric
    At the beginning of your turn, gain control of all tokens
    2/3

Quite busted in some formats probably, without having mentor in mind

Bounce for all - 1U
    faerie wizard
    When a creature comes into play for an opponent, you can bounce another creature that player controls to his hand. If you do, he can bounce a creature you control other than BFA
    1/1

Even blue players can play it to avoid swarms.

Assassin at home - 1B
    human rogue
    when a player draws a card other the one in his drawphase, all his creatures get -1/-1
    2/1

very narrow card, but won't affect standard or modern too much so it should be safe to print

Implode you all - 1RR
    goblin wizard
    flash
    when IYA comes into play, every creature does damage to its owner equal to its power unless his owner sacrifices it
    3/1

probably too much to be printed

Fair game judge - 1G
    elf shaman
    Creatures cannot do more damage than FGJ power
    Players cannot draw more cards in a turn than FGJ toughness
    2/1

And for TPS

Misstep me or die - B
    sorcery
    Spells your opponent play this turn cost 1 more for every spell you have played this turn
    Draw a card

• @Serracollector said:

What about a card like multanis presence and eye of chaos combined?

Wait Your Turn
    GB enchantment
    Counter all instant spells cast by a player that are not played during that player's main phases. This effect can counter spells that cannot be countered. If a spell is countered this way the other player draws a card.

Templating might be off, but you get the jist. I threw in the last sentence to stop surprise Abrupt Decays, and things like Last Word or Final Word or w ever.

I don't believe this enchantment would work, because can't trumps can in Magic rules. So even though your card says it can counter spells that can't be countered, the spell itself saying can't be countered would trump your enchantment.

• @rikter Just use exile? "If an opponent casts an spell outside his or her main phase, exile that spell."

• @Kunfuzed That would work

• @Kunfuzed said:

@rikter Just use exile? "If an opponent casts an spell outside his or her main phase, exile that spell."

This sort of templating makes no sense though. If the opponent knows his spells will be exiled he just won't cast them at those times and thus the ability of this card also won't happen very often. If your aim is to stop players from casting spells other than on their main phases you just make the effect:

"Opponents cannot cast spells except on their main phases."

That accomplishes the same end result as what you're proposing and takes far less text. We do, in fact, already have this card in multiple forms.

1. Grand Abolisher (even better cause it includes abilities)
    2. Dragonlord Dromoka
    3. City of Solitude

• @Stormanimagus Yeah I was just trying to solve the "can counter cards that can't be countered issue." The original card also had other effects and tradeoffs.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.