Why are Modern Horizons cards so expensive?

@protoaddict said in Why are Modern Horizons cards so expensive?:

Play points are also highly controlled. For the users it is a lottery but wotc has a fixed amount per 1000 chests they award. Chests are a function of events with controlled price points. Play points cannot be traded nor can you use them on sets not running events.

Literally every mechanism in the game is used to control currencies in a controlled, formulaic fashion. Wotc 100% can steer prices in the system where they want with far more control than an open market. There is no counterfeiting or theft either. Thus, call it msrp or not, the prices are far more dictated on that closed system than an open one.

That sounds like pack contents are also controlled and the secondary market doesn’t exist.

@chubbyrain I play online off and on and I typically buy paper. I will spend $100 - $200 to update my online collection but the cost to get Force of Vigor, Force of Negation, Wrenn and Six, and Uzra is very high. I was also looking at buying Teferi which is also high.

The post was to ask people who buy cards regularly online if this is just a blip or real prices.

Looks like I'll pick very carefully and wait on the rest.

@moorebrother1 said in Why are Modern Horizons cards so expensive?:

@chubbyrain I play online off and on and I typically buy paper. I will spend $100 - $200 to update my online collection but the cost to get Force of Vigor, Force of Negation, Wrenn and Six, and Uzra is very high. I was also looking at buying Teferi which is also high.

The post was to ask people who buy cards regularly online if this is just a blip or real prices.

Looks like I'll pick very carefully and wait on the rest.

You named the staples in those set, and more so the rare and mythic staples. Staples retain value better than other cards, so I do not expect them to drop much at all, perhaps Wrenn because he is so very high right now but maybe that is justified. Things from MH1 will likely always carry a high price tag if only because the set is double the price of a standard set.

In a year from now if anything gets reprinted in MH2, then expect the prices to drop precipitously. but other than that they likely do not fluctuate too much.

@moorebrother1

Have you considered only buying cards as the need to use them arises?

@mike-noble That is what I am going to do this time around. It limits some of my ability to brew but I can do that on paper then see if it is worth making the investment online.

Thank you for the suggestion

I'm not sure what you mean. The only really expensive card is Wrenn, and to a much lesser extent is Force of Negation. Are those two cards inhibiting your deck construction?

@moorebrother1

It sounds like you collect digital cards like you collect paper cards. Digital cards aren’t collectibles. The mediums are wildly different, both due to the turnaround time on buying and selling and the vendor rake on doing so. If you’re maintaining 1000+ tix of inventory and bemoaning a lack of funds to build decks it’s because you’re treating the system improperly. Just take five minutes to sell what doesn’t go in your current 75 to build your new one.

I’ve seen people tell you this before. I know, I’ve been one of those people. You’re going to be told this every time you whine about card prices.

EDIT: Here’s your thread from February where you also whine about buying MODO cards.

last edited by Mike Noble

@mike-noble The reason behind the price shock was deck building. I am trying to build a bant deck and I also wanted to play around with Wrenn and Six.

The most shocking cards are Teferi and Force of Negation, because they cost more digitally than they do in paper. I’ll have to pick a deck to play and just spend the money or not play.

On a side note, I know Magic is expensive. I buy paper cards regularly. MTGO offers a way to experiment with cards but the investment is higher than I think some of you are acknowledging here. It’s all fine and good this is a game and this is another way to play it but it was shocking to see those prices.

@moorebrother1

Your post doesn’t show evidence that you read mine.

@smmenen Have you checked Force of Negation recently? It's over 50 tix... Force of Vigor is 16 tix and Collector Ouphe is 13 tix on Goatbots. Those are on par with Force of Wills (17 tix) and Wastelands (15).

The exploding price of MH1 and other recent sets on MTGO is a considerable source of discussion on twitter. The total set price is more expensive than it was during release week.

@mike-noble I re-read the post. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m an on-again off-again MTGO player. I’m not complaining about MTGO here just shocked by the prices. I’ll take your advice and sell cards to get into some new cards.

last edited by moorebrother1

@moorebrother1 said in Why are Modern Horizons cards so expensive?:

@mike-noble I’m not complaining about MTGO here just shocked by the prices.

"I'm not complaining about MTGO, I'm just complaining about a part of MTGO that I don't like."

I leave one of our conversations, once again, feeling like you made no progress.

last edited by Mike Noble

@mike-noble Progress is a very relative term here. I think that I have accepted that Vintage is mostly a digital format and that I can enjoy playing it digitally. To your point, there are parts that I don’t like and these discussions do help my understanding of how others use the digital platform.

Progress is slow but it is happening. 😀

@chubbyrain said in Why are Modern Horizons cards so expensive?:

@smmenen Have you checked Force of Negation recently? It's over 50 tix...

Yes, in my post I said the only two cards that are really any expensive are Wrenn and force of negation.

If you don't have the financial stability to buy expensive mtgo cards, then you are in luck, because there are multiple rental programs to take advantage of. You can in fact play with every card in existence for a relatively low monthly cost, something completely impossible in paper.

You can wait for the EOL announcement for MTGO and it's likely those database rows will get really cheap really fast.

Views