Oko, Thief of Crowns

Oko, Thief of Crowns - 1GU
Legendary Planeswalker - Oko
+2: Create a Food token.
+1: Target artifact or creature loses all abilities and becomes a green Elk creature with base power and toughness 3/3.
-5: Exchange control of target artifact or creature you control and target creature an opponent controls with power 3 or less.

Source: Forbes Official Preview

Talking points:

• Does Dack Fooden shift the power balance of Xerox color combinations?
  • Does the ability to create a 3/3 with haste have a strategic place in current Vintage?
  • What is food?

EDIT: Added source, added better quality image.

last edited by Mike Noble

Without explanation of what is a Food token it's hard to evaluate, I guess we have to wait tomorrow.

I am making this post with my watch and the sound of my voice. I think this card is questionable.

Food may very well be an onboard energy mechanic or basically just a widget token that does nothing on its own. Maro confirmed it is an artifact token at least.

@Mike-Noble
The creature doesn't get haste, btw.
Unless I'm missing something.

@ten-ten said in [ELD] Oko, Thief of Crowns:

@Mike-Noble
The creature doesn't get haste, btw.
Unless I'm missing something.

If you controlled a permanent since the beginning of the turn it isn’t “summoning sick” if it becomes a creature. Think Mishra’s Factory and friends, but with a Mox you’ve had out since the turn before you cast Oko.

My guess is food is something akin to the clue token but gains you life when sacrificed instead of drawing you a card.

Also the idea of turning food into elk is funny.

food = artifact: sacrifice this token to draw 3 cards, gain 3 life, and add 3 mana of any color.

Nothing special...just your typical token.

Food is "2, T, Sac: Gain 3 Life"

It's bad, and I think this is almost unplayable in Vintage. Turning your moxen into 3/3s doesn't sound that great.

If stealing creature in 2 turns becomes a thing then maybe.

last edited by fsecco

You can "blank" one artifact or creature per turn, so this card answers Time Vault as well as Blightsteel Colossus, which seems to me somewhat unique. Obviously it needs a main phase and you still have to deal with the resulting 3/3 in some way, but stripping all abilities from any creature or artifact is something

@ajfirecracker I know, it also blanks Null Rod, which is great. But Teferi seems better in that slot.

And to blank Blightsteel or Vault at sorcery speed, Dack is better.

Although Teferi and Dack can't see play in BUG,so.. I'll give you a MAYBE hehe

Views