@moorebrother1 You picking up Cavern in that scenario is wishful thinking and not at all consistent. That's my point. You're juset dilluting the deck for a card that is actually harder to cast under Thalia. I think this has a home in Dredge as Troll 2-5 or Survival. In humans I highly doubt it and would rather play red or white Recruiters.
In Belcher too, I'd never dilute the deck to a point where I play 4 of these + 4 Spirit Guides and 4 Tinder Wall in order for this to work.

in a dredge with 3- 4 street w.
could be favored to serum p. ?

This card is insane in HollowBeats. I'm testing Edge of Autumn and it's not awful. This is insane. The fact that you can Bazaar as not a spell as Garfield intended then find this, then go 5 deeper to find more mummies made of rock is bonkers.

Extra copies discard to force of vigor...,

@nedleeds said in [ELD] Once Upon a Time:

This card is insane in HollowBeats. I'm testing Edge of Autumn and it's not awful. This is insane. The fact that you can Bazaar as not a spell as Garfield intended then find this, then go 5 deeper to find more mummies made of rock is bonkers.

Could even allow some Arc-Light Phoenix stuff too.

What this card does for dredge is turn a mull to 1 into a mull to 6 as far as finding bazaar goes. Its green to pitch to FoV which is a big plus. I think if it didn't have both of those properties it would be considered. But since it has both, its worth looking at.

The fact that it is an instant to me is a big deal as well. I'm trying to see what they are trying to do with this in other format right now because I think it is more than the sum of its parts.

• In modern it fetches tron pieces in a deck that will take it free but also can just cast it.
  • I saw someone theory crafting around free from hand creatures like Faerie Macabre, hollow one, and Myr Enforcer, seemed ok but not crazy
  • Glimmerpost stuff.

I mean, it's hard for me to conceive of a world where this is not something somewhere, because at 2 mana this effect at instant speed is already pretty good.

This card is great. 2 mana for this effect alone is too much for vintage, it'd be good for 1 mana. But being free as the first spell obviously changes things, so...

As a survival player I can see myself wanting some copies of it, specially in builds with maindeck force of vigor. If it's not in your first hand you will either have the mana to play it or bazaar to 'cycle' it. We have several kinds of cards between lands and creatures, and we can have at least like 4 different approaches with our first hands:

-fast bazaar with VV+rootwalue and hollow
-survival with or without manarock/dork
-playing out hatebears
-'ramping' into 4-mana 4/3 haste (yeah, it happens and depending on the situation it's not bad).
-blind bazaar hands (only lands and irrelevant spells, trying to get lucky)

In all of those situations there are good, mediocre and bad cards for the situation. Cards that are great in some of those are bad in others. But this free turn 1 spell can grab cards that go into any of those situations. If you have it turn 1 it may be better than vengevine or even bazaar.

It's a mix of redundancy and filtering.

I don't think I'd run 4, maybe not now (having 2-4 of these in your openning hand would be bad). I can easily see myself playing 2 copies of this.

I don't know about other decks, I get the world isn't about survival (not of the fittest at least), but I'm just showing a case where this card WILL be good.

I have no doubt it will do something in survival, but I'm almost curious if its better to cast it before a bazaar or after. After digs you further for Hollow one, but before digs you for vengevine and Rootwallas to dump to the bazaar.

@protoaddict if we are thinking about finding hollow one, before/after bazaar activation doesn't matter, since you're seeing the top 7 anyway. i think correct sequencing in survival will always be to play this before bazaar activation, or even before playing bazaar. it definitely will be in dredge, where you will often be taking a dredger to discard.

Views