Fair, but I think this is more of a game changer for a deck like hatebears/GW Humans because it gives a deck that previously had no early game fixing access to it. Dredge isn't struggling for a draw engine the way dudesmatter.dec is.

Yes, getting a draw spell that’s similar to preordain, but doesn’t cost early mana is nice for all of these Bazaar + Hate Bear decks since 1-drop is pretty devoted to either Bazaar or a Deathrite.

@vaughnbros you're forgetting 3-4 Deafening Silence. That's another new 1-drop I run.

In regards to dredge decks. Is it safe to assume that you can take out Dredgers and put in some Once Upon a Time in place of those dredgers since it will find dredgers or and additional Bazaar of Baghdad? If so maybe 4x Shambling Shell, 1x Golgari Grave-Troll and 2-3 Once Upon a Time (maybe Hogaak too) may be enough to bring back Force of Vigor back to the Main Deck from the Side Board.

@daniel-worobec I can't imagine playing a card like this as a 2-3x. it's like leylines.

Do you know how many people I see in other formats playing 2-3 Leylines, it's mind numbing.

@blindtherapy
I’m not sure that’s accurate. In Dredge, certainly, but in Survival? 2 might be the right number.

@daniel-worobec said in [ELD] Once Upon a Time:

In regards to dredge decks. Is it safe to assume that you can take out Dredgers and put in some Once Upon a Time in place of those dredgers since it will find dredgers or and additional Bazaar of Baghdad?

You are not casting them with mana, so unless you open with one after a bazaar they are just pitch fodder, unless riftstone portal falls in to favor in a big way.

I suspect the only time you take a dredger with these is actually when you whiff on finding another bazaar, so no I do not think you can cut dredgers in any substantial number to accommodate this as a matter of fact you likely want to keep the count high enough to ensure you hit one if you whiff on bazzar in the first place.

4 is the correct number in almost every deck that wants them. This is actually better in multiples than leylines since it’s actual mana cost is only 2.

This is worse in multiple than leylines because only the first is free

This is better in multiples because it is green, and force of vigor is a card.

A 2nd Leyline is literally a duplicitous effect or Bazaar fodder. The only thing a 2nd one dies is guard from single target removal (and FoV hits 2). There are few cards with lower value. This is not one of them.

@serracollector said in [ELD] Once Upon a Time:

Have people not considered this for Hermit Druid decks? With the new Mulligan rule and this, getting a turn one Hermit (especially with 4-8 Guides) seems very strong.

I play a Hermit druid deck, and I'll be testing some number of these. Hermit druid decks can already mulligan aggressively, so I see this card as an interesting option.

@vaughnbros said in [ELD] Once Upon a Time:

A 2nd Leyline is literally a duplicitous effect or Bazaar fodder. The only thing a 2nd one dies is guard from single target removal (and FoV hits 2). There are few cards with lower value. This is not one of them.

Well, I don't generally plan to generate 1G, so maybe we have a little bit of a different framing here

@ajfirecracker

Just being Green is big for manaless now that Troll is restricted.

If Once upon a time was White or Red I think it would be stone unplayable in vintage. Black could be fringe because the decks sometimes make black mana or play unmask/contagion. As a green card, or if it was blue, the fact that it pitches is a substantial part of the sales pitch.

Views