[ELD] Emry, Lurker of the Loch

Why could they not just print affinity for artifacts... why? They gave the tezz box topper affinity.

My gut is that this is more of a plant for affinity than vintage. In legacy its a blue card to pitch for FOW while not really lowering your on board artifact count, and in modern the format is slow enough that you can get 2 activations or more and it can pitch to Negation.

I do have to wonder if this won't function as Goblin engineer 5-8 in Trash for Treasure strategies, but once again that seems better in modern than elsewhere.

@protoaddict said in [ELD] Emry, Lurker of the Loch:

Why could they not just print affinity for artifacts... why? They gave the tezz box topper affinity.

The reason they didn't do it for this or stuff like Gearseeker Serpent is that using a keyword one time in a set just makes it confusing for players who aren't familiar with it. It doesn't come up often enough for everyone to internalize it, so rather than conveying the information more quickly the keyword ends up just adding a step where people have to look up what it does. Why they did use it on Tezzeret though, I have no idea.

@protoaddict said in [ELD] Emry, Lurker of the Loch:

Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge doesn't appear in booster packs and therefore was allowed to have a mechanic that didn't appear in the set's booster packs. Unless Affinity is defined as a mechanic in the set you'll get Gearseeker Serpent-style wording.

I checked, and there's no worthwhile artifact that sacrifices to untap a creature. There's probably an unplayable Rube Goldberg machine you can create with Magewright's Stone.

Yeah but this is infinite mana with Lotus and Paradox Engine or similar.

Could she be used in a new painter shell alongside welder? You can even grindstonet yourself to find your wincon, or bring back a bolted painter

last edited by Serracollector

@fsecco said in [ELD] Emry, Lurker of the Loch:

Yeah but this is infinite mana with Lotus and Paradox Engine or similar.

Unfortunately "goes infinite with Paradox Engine" is this generation's "dies to Doom Blade".

@mike-noble I thought that was “Brian Kelly will probably play it for some reason”.

I'm not sure how it would come together, but Corridor Monitor was also spoiled. Mirran Spy and Jeskai Ascendancy are cheaper (sort of) Paradox Engine replacements.

This is very interesting with Ascendency. That could certainly be a deck. I think a potentially important piece of the puzzle could be Anger to make this start the chain right away.

Side note: I’m not sure why PO has never looked into 1-2 copies of Ascendency?

@wfain said in [ELD] Emry, Lurker of the Loch:

Side note: I’m not sure why PO has never looked into 1-2 copies of Ascendency?

I think they just don't need it, and also the critical mass of free spells/cheap +CA spells to trigger it has gone down. When gush and dig were still legal along with 4 probe, there were some versions of the deck that could even hang with the shops deck of the time a bit.

Now, however, what would it be replacing that isn't already doing something better. Plus it pulls you into a 3rd or 4th color depending on the build.

Views