White Eldrazi is gonna enjoy this card.

I am really interested to pair this card with a flipped Erayo, Soratami Ascendant.

Enchantress with all the enchantment creatures finally gets a place in Vintage? My Boon Satyrs/Coursers are gonna wreck face.

4 of these and 4 Fastbond are all the noncreature spells I need 😉

God this card is awesome.

I guess this sort of fills the gap that the restriction of misstep opened. It gives a serious tool for tempo and control decks to push decks like PO and DPS into the mid-game where they can start piling up more hate pieces and/or get their draw engine + counter wall online.
Seems maindeck-able in Hatebears and Landstill, greatly increases consistency of turn 1 plays for Hatebears and helps Landstill by pushing the opponent into its long game gameplan and preventing more "veloce" blue decks from overpowering it with multiple broken spells.
This also seems like it could be really insane in a Bazaar deck (at least theoretically), since the tempo generated by this card is enough for a Bazaar deck to beat any deck that could potentially race it otherwise.

@gutocmtt said in [ELD] Deafening Silence:

But really, good hate cards are usually 2 mana or more. Effects similar to this one were available at 3+ mana, unless I'm forgetting something.

Ethersworn Canonist

@serracollector said in [ELD] Deafening Silence:

Enchantress with all the enchantment creatures finally gets a place in Vintage? My Boon Satyrs/Coursers are gonna wreck face.

4 of these and 4 Fastbond are all the noncreature spells I need 😉

This card demolishes Enchantress. Let's play Chains and Arcane Lab also.

Ahem. I can play as many enchantment creatures as I wish. 😉 @nedleeds

Stray thought: everybody looked sideways at the part of the B&R announcement where Ian Duke said they considered unrestricting Necropotence, but could this card be the reason?

last edited by craw_advantage

@serracollector said in [ELD] Deafening Silence:

Ahem. I can play as many enchantment creatures as I wish. 😉 @nedleeds

Alright I will accept a beating from Archtype of Endurance.

With good ol Carnage Tyrant next to him. Double Hexproof

White Eldrazi only plays 9ish white sources. I have had STPs stranded in my hands countless times. It will be harder to cast than one thinks. However, this does seem like a powerful card.

This card will slot extremely nicely into my GWB Hatebear/Human shells. I used to run Eidolon of Rhetoric + Grand Abolisher + Thalia, Guardian of Thraben for an extremely restrictive triumvirate of power that keeps Xerox decks and other blue decks at bay. This is almost a strict upgrade to that. This card has me very excited to brew again for the first time in a while. Nice job Wizards!

-Storm

I would guess this card would be best with Lavinia, Teferi, and Narset, as usual.

This card would have been absolutely brutal against the Karn deck. A turn 1 on the play against Karn/Forge combo would have prevented serious shenanigans.

@smmenen I also think they should've restricted only one of the two, not both in one swoop. Probably Forge because that card shouldn't exist in Vintage 😛

I think it's important people think about how devastating this card can be. Not just as a tempo play, but as a simple lock piece.

There have been high profile complaints about effects that advantage players first turn, on the play, like Chalice of the Void.

This card has the potential to be like that. Imagine your opening hand is something like: Mox, Mox, Land, Instant, Sorcery, 2cc Creature.

If your opponent has a first turn Defeaning Silence, your entire game is stymied.

This is even worse if you are a PO player, and your opening hand is something like: Mox, Mox, Mox, Land, PO. Just think about how impactful that is. It's totally absurd.

This card is bonkers, and I think it will probably be the most impactful card in the set in the long run. This card could have been absurd in 2005 2009 or 2015.

In terms of possible homes, there are lots of possibilities:

Landstill, Fastbond land combo, Humans, and the most obvious is White Eldrazi. But I think the best, most automatic application is Survival. If I were testing for Champs with Survival, I would play test at least 3 between the maindeck and sideboard ASAP.

last edited by Smmenen
    Views