Or in response to a wasteland on one of the pieces (a.k.a. bait). Or in response to bolt on the hexmage. Or in their own turn if they fear the opponent hitting a wasteland more than bounce/sacrifice. But in any of those situations, they aren't really relevant to determine if this is a playable card.

If welder takes off now that derpsteps gone, I could see some neat steal your welder, I win scenerios happen, but outside of that I don't think this is viable. @Mike-Noble shows how much I follow new cards and what format they are allowed in 🙂

@mike-noble said in Claim the Firstborn:

@serracollector said in Claim the Firstborn:

@Mike-Noble shows how much I follow new cards and what format they are allowed in 🙂

Hearing that the guy named “Serra collector” is unaware of how the set with LITERAL SERRA printed in it works is peak disappointment.

Gurl, this is a hot level of sass.

You could also ignore your opponent's creatures and just use this to target your own Welder to activate it a turn early or get two activations in one turn.

It's closer to a crimson wisps but trading the cantrip for occasionally stealing a creature.

Is this even going to be played outside of Limited?

@fsecco

Definitely.

First time this effect has been printed at 1 mana cost, and we all know how good 1 mana cards are. You can see at its ceiling it has greater impact than Bolt/Path to Exile and sometimes it has double or triple the impact when you're talking about interaction in a Planeswalker based format. If your opponent has 2 walkers and both players have a creature, this for 1 mana destroys two walkers. If you use it conjunction with sacrifice effects such as Cabal Therapy it just gets so much better. It could be up to a 1 for 5. (their creature, a card from their hand, two planeswalkers, and a Young Pyro elemental token)

There aren't too many 1 mana cards even capable of producing the same output. It is "Change of Heart". It is a ban worthy effect in most TCGs.

The fact it doesnt steal creatures greater than three is a limitation and that probably makes it more limited unplayable than the hyper efficient constructed formats that are choke full of amazing 2 and 3 cmc creatures.

last edited by desolutionist

Alright. I'm still gonna be VERY surprised if this see play in any constructed format.

I really miss the days when this effect was blue and instant-speed.

@desolutionist said in Claim the Firstborn:

The fact it doesnt steal creatures greater than three is a limitation and that probably makes it more limited unplayable than the hyper efficient constructed formats that are choke full of amazing 2 and 3 cmc creatures.

This will see play in many other constructed formats:

In standard, mono red has been consistently good and most decks play on something of a curve so you will have targets.

In modern - Burn will play this in the board at least in some number as it lets them punch through a few tougher road blocks they normally have issues with, namely Goyf and Ooze but there are a number of others. Being one mana cost is a huge deal there because Boros charms Doublestrike mode suddenly becomes more relevant than the deal 4. Mono red prowess will also run this for similar reasons.

In legacy - Basically burn as in modern but also I suspect some sort of aristocrats style deck or jund. Will be used more strategically there than in modern I suspect.

Views