Large Collection Stolen at GP: New York

@xXHazardXx said:

The other thing about HO is it doesn't cover any property that is outside your home. So, if someone breaks into your home and steals your cards, you can collect, however if you bring your cards to an event and they get stolen, they were outside your home and not covered.

This is 100% not true. I have never seen policy language that did not cover contents that were outside of the house and I've been in the industry handling claims and selling policies since 1998. I've handled claims for people with luggage stolen in Europe and there is definitely coverage. Contents coverage is typically world-wide except for another residence premise.
Best thing to do though is talk to your personal agent. Some states may have oddities I'm not aware of. And if you have an 'in the house only' policy, get that changed.

last edited by Khahan

@Greg I hope they catch this scumbag who stole those cards, and any accomplices.

It is amazing, though, how he looks exactly like the Gary Oldman villain in The Fifth Element.

@Khahan I can only speak from my personal experience, but this is what my State Farm agent told me. He could have been wrong or misinformed... I concede. However, the end (the having the personal collection policy) is the right choice.

Thanks!

The thing that really just gets me mad is that these folks probably go to events with the sole purpose of stealing. I'm sure they walk around again and again looking for the perfect chance to snag something.

@Islandswamp said:

The thing that really just gets me mad is that these folks probably go to events with the sole purpose of stealing. I'm sure they walk around again and again looking for the perfect chance to snag something.

One tiny bit of comfort is that if someone is doing what you describe it's fairly easy to notice. IFF you're inclined to notice it. It's terrible that attending an event with collections like some posters on these boards have requires constant vigilance and at least a hint of paranoia, but it's still the case.

I hope they catch these guys and get everything back.

@rcwraspy I went to the LGS in my town today. I haven't gone out of the house to play Magic in ages (I had quit for a long time before 2013 and have mostly played MTGO since). My son (age 5) needed me to take him to the bathroom. Without hesitation I walk him to the restroom and wait inside because he's nervous in places he's unfamiliar with. I then realize I've left all of my valuable cards out on a table unattended. Nothing happened, and I didn't think anyone at the shop would mess with my stuff, but I realized that in this day and age letting your guard down like that is a recipe for disaster.

@Islandswamp Yeah man, its crazy. I won't even leave my stuff in the car anymore. Whenever we do post event dinners and such the bags come into the restaurant.

@rikter said:

@Islandswamp Yeah man, its crazy. I won't even leave my stuff in the car anymore. Whenever we do post event dinners and such the bags come into the restaurant.

I've become more cautious with my stuff too. I just don't want to have this exchange with the officer, "Yes sir. The box that was stolen is worth more than the car that it was in. No sir, I'm not joking."

I can't wait to hear that they caught this A-hole. Good that they got it on film. It feels like there's a decent chance they find him.

Views