[Article] Information Cascades in Magic

If the game is so bad why play it?

@tittliewinks22 said in [Article] Information Cascades in Magic:

There have been a number of people through the years where I've wondered why they play Vintage instead of another format, or even Magic instead of another game. I think some people actually enjoy complaining.

@grandpabelcher said in [Article] Information Cascades in Magic:

@tittliewinks22 said in [Article] Information Cascades in Magic:

There have been a number of people through the years where I've wondered why they play Vintage instead of another format, or even Magic instead of another game. I think some people actually enjoy complaining.

This might be the funniest thing I've ever heard you say.

I think people are chasing some feeling or experience they had at some point. Vintage offers some pretty potent experiences. The problem is that everyone has a different conception of what that experience is or should be.

Sure! And it’s not that I think they shouldn’t play Vintage. It’s just that we seem SO far apart on what we’re getting out of the format. Like, they’re unhappy with the very things I enjoy, and I don’t know what they enjoy because they never talk about it. Some of these players don’t seem to enjoy anything.

Lately I’ve been concerned that it’s me. Maybe Vintage is headed in a direction I don’t want. Middle School and Old School have fun communities, and Legacy has powerful cards. Would that be so bad? (Insert GIF of Principal Skinner saying “No, it’s the children who are wrong.” I’m on my phone and can’t find it.)

last edited by GrandpaBelcher

I will literally complain about everything, even things I like, so I don't see why Magic or Vintage would be different.

In fact, I'll probably complain more about things that I like because on other things, I've completely given up.

last edited by vaughnbros

For the record I think MTG Vintage is an awesome game. I play it because it’s fun.

For the record, I play exclusively Legacy at the moment, because nobody plays Vintage in my area and MTGO leaves me cold.

But I like to watch old coots argue about cardboard rectangles, so I come here.

Wow....what a great article... That guy was ahead of his time.... So much wisdom.

Views