[Free Article] Old School Magic (Chapter 3): A Visit to the Zoo

• Linky: http://www.vintagemagic.com/blog/old-school-magic-chapter-3-a-visit-to-the-zoo/

Last chapter looked at the history of The Deck in Type I, and The Deck variants in Old School Magic.

Now we turn to the evolution of Zoo in Type I, from Bertrand Lestree's second place finish at Vintage Champs, to the 1996 Type I Championship, and the tremendous work done by Mario Robaina with "Monkey, May I?"

Finally, I present some version of Zoo that I have found effective in Old School.

Enjoy!

Stephen

• Have been waiting for this. Will read after work :)

• Great article once again. I'm enjoying this series.

• Steve, fantastic article, as always.

Your proposed list at the end appears to be only 59 cards. Perhaps a Fireball is missing? Or that's a slot meant for a MD Dervish?

• Heya,

just read through your whole series and I wanna say I'm really amazed by it. I will try to build the first version of The Deck as soon as possible for some fun playtesting in the future - 4 Mind Twist 4 Library, what a time....

Regarding the Zoo article, I was a bit sad that it was shorter than expected, but it's nonetheless an interesting approach that you present as the final decklist (btw, I think it's a Power Sink that is missing ^^). I've not really considered building Zoo with Counterspells apart the sideboard Elemental Blasts but it is sure worth giving it a try.

Thanks for writing about the format(s)! I'm really a little jealous that I have so little time and cannot contribute more to the oldschool community - good to see you writing great articles once again!

Marc

• Fun read! My very first tournament loss was to "Zoo". I got completely demolished by Lightning Bolts, Kird Apes, Ghazbans, Black Vises, Fireballs, Forks and multiple Wheels of Fortune.

• @Twiedel said:

Heya,

just read through your whole series and I wanna say I'm really amazed by it. I will try to build the first version of The Deck as soon as possible for some fun playtesting in the future - 4 Mind Twist 4 Library, what a time....

Regarding the Zoo article, I was a bit sad that it was shorter than expected, but it's nonetheless an interesting approach that you present as the final decklist (btw, I think it's a Power Sink that is missing ^^). I've not really considered building Zoo with Counterspells apart the sideboard Elemental Blasts but it is sure worth giving it a try.

Thanks for writing about the format(s)! I'm really a little jealous that I have so little time and cannot contribute more to the oldschool community - good to see you writing great articles once again!

Marc

Glad you all enjoyed it. Please continue to spread the word!

Marc,

This article was still almost 4K words, although not nearly as long as the 10K for Chapter 2. Expect most of the articles to be more along this length, although Chapter 4 is also really long.

Just curious: did you not see the series before now? I'm curious if people are just now picking up on it or have see it since the first article.

For the record, the first three articles were originally drafted in 2014, but it's taken this long to get them posted because the website was not yet launched.

All but two of the ten article series are actually drafted, but I am considering a reordering. I'm trying to decide what people most want to see next. I promised that I would spend an article discussing the three questions posed in the first article.

• Well, it would be kinda cool to see a combo-oriented article since you've covered "aggro" and "control" in your last two articles. I'm actually the least familiar with combo decks from that era. Control decks are fairly self-evident considering The Deck is one of the most famous decks from that era of magic. Of course, I imagine you have an article drafted with this in mind!

I've read all your articles in the series, but I actually didn't realize that it was designed to be a large series of articles (although now going back and reading the first one, you do mention this). I hope it makes more people curious about the format, I certainly would love to have more people to play against.

• @Smmenen
    Indeed I just learned about the series at article #3 - Daniel was posting the short youtube decktech video of you talking about the Zoo deck, and that linked me to the article.
    Pretty sure many people missed it in the oldschool 93/94 community, but good to see it's getting more and more attention.

Glad to hear you have more articles lined up already, will probably write a short report about my Fork.dec from Frankfurt. With Channel Fireball also presenting oldschool on their GPs, I guess we will all have much more oldschool coverage and articles this year :)

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.