Combo/Control Oath Hybrid

• I have been toying with the old Burning Oath of yore from a few years ago. It is incredibly powerful and fast, however, it is an all in strategy that plays no counter magic. I decided to audible to a more control version, packing the typical suite of Forces/Missteps/Flusters. While I was building, I was thinking, what can't we abuse the power of Demonic Tutor 2-x (Burning Wish) in a control shell? And if we were going to have access to Burning Wish, we should be able to have a combo finish on top of our Griselbrand beats.

Here is the list I came up with:

4 Forbidden Orchard
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Black Lotus
    4 Accumulated Knowledge
    4 Oath of Druids
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Repeal
    3 Burning Wish
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Ponder
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Time Walk
    2 Hurkyl's Recall

SB
    1 Balance
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Show and Tell
    1 Yawgomoth's Will
    1 Shattering Spree
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Ancient Grudge

Everything is pretty standard, they only cards that are probably questionable is the Accumulated Knowledge. I know this card hasn't been used in a while, but I just don't think there is anything better for Oath. Gush is just Awkward with Orchards and Thirst for Knowledge doesn't interact well with the stormy finish.

Only playtest experience I have with the deck so far is a ton of games against Dark Petition. It seems about 60-40 my favor. Windmill slamming an Oath turn 1 against a deck with no (or very little) countermagic is pretty much game over.

Please give me your thoughts and feedback on this hybrid deck

• TMD Supporter

@xXHazardXx I windmill slammed an Oath/Orchard against Shawn Anthony on TPS the other day and lost to a turn one Tendrils for exacties. I'm not sure that's always a safe bet.

I am interesting in Burning Oath though, so I'll take a closer look.

I see this list is not playing Rituals or the excessive artifact mana, and also no Bargain/Necro. That could make the deck slower, but it also seems like it leaves more room for the traditional "Fenton" Oath cards. I think that could be good, I don't know.
    I don't think I like AK. I can see why you'd try it, but I think you're better off with Preordain.
    Seems like Dark Petition would be great, but you don't have Dark Ritual.

• The orginal Burning Oath deck ran all the rituals, bargains, excessive artifact mana, draw's etc. The drawback of that deck was there was no counter magic. He had some Duress's and that was it.

This deck was intended to be control Oath. Oath up Griselbrand and win by drawing a million cards. (Control beats over a couple turns).

It just so happens, if can win with a combo finish if needed, but that shouldn't be your first line of play.

re: Accumulated Knowledge, I kinda agree with you. I like the card, but not sure if it is good enough. I played a handful of matches last night against Grixis Welder and I didn't cast AK a single time. However, most of those games were over rather quickly. I'm curious if AK wouldn't be better in the longer grindier games. The thing I don't like about Preordain is it is never card advantage. This deck doesn't really have any CA cards (besides Recall and GB) and I feel once GB is out, you don't really need more.

The next playtest session will be against Mentor so I will see how that goes with AK.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• I ended up playing this deck at the Minneapolis GP.

I did take out the Accumulated Knowledge and replacing it with 2x Abrupt Decay and 2x Preordain.

Here is a quick and dirty TR:

Round 1- I went 2-0 against 4c Mentor. Both games had me pretty low, but the power of Griselbrand and storm got me out of it.
    Round 2- Lost to Merfolk 1-2. Game 1, I got run over by island walkers, game 2 I stormed off, game 3 I lost to a Cursecatcher, wasteland and light mana hand.
    Round 3- Beat Grixis/Pyro Delver 2-0
    Round 4- Lost 2-0 to Dredge. Game two I had two Leyline of the Void in the opening hand, and an Oath out on turn 1 or 2 (but no Orchard), but he drew all of his Naturalizes so I couldn't capitalize.
    Round 5- Beat 5c Humans 2-1. Game 1 I hard cast a Griselbrand after wiping his board with a balance. Game 2, Thalia and 3 Glowriders MUDed me out. Game 3 I had a double Oath hand and fought through a Naturalize and Containment Priest. Griselbrand beat for 3 turns.

Overall, I really liked the deck. The Abrupt Decays turned out to be too good to not run. The wish board utility was fantastic and the ability to just win with some moxen and and Hurkyl's Recall was great.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.