Spring 2020 Vintage Tournament?

Hey, everybody.

I'm considering putting together a moderately sized Vintage event in the spring of 2020, likely at a local store, on Long Island.

Roughly thinking that it'd be for a piece of power or two, store credit to top eight, pre-registration, etc., with an entry fee around $75.

alt text

Seriously though, would you be in?

We're in the super rough draft mode of this right now.

For those of you who have asked/wondered, no, there are currently no plans to do another N.Y.S.E. I'm sorry, but I think the last one really was the last one.

last edited by Prospero

@log Still trying to kill me, eh?

Nick, I wouldn’t make the smaller event but would definitely try to make it to a NYSE.

That said, you shouldn’t run another NYSE. If it wasn’t for the generosity of the top 8 you would have taken a big loss.

And that’s not your fault. The prices are just too insane.

last edited by desolutionist

NYSE is:
The TO (you!)
The People
The Experience
The Atmosphere
The State (New York event)

NYSE isn't:
The Entry Fee
The Prize
The Venue

You're free to call the event whatever you want, but it's NYSE VII.

@prospero said in Spring 2020 Vintage Tournament?:

Hey, everybody.

I'm considering putting together a moderately sized Vintage event in the spring of 2020, likely at a local store, on Long Island.

Roughly thinking that it'd be for a piece of power or two, store credit to top eight, pre-registration, etc., with an entry fee around $75.

Seriously though, would you be in?

No.

Long Island is simply too difficult to get to. Looking at flights, I can either spend ~$800 and most of a day traveling each way or I can spend far less flying to NYC and still be out most of a day getting to the tournament itself.

For comparison, the cheapest and shortest flight is $784 with 5:37 total travel time. For less money and a few hours more, I could fly to Paris.

@thecravenone

You didn't go to NYSE VI either so it's not surprising that you, as a Texan, are disinterested in New York events.

@sock-monkey said in Spring 2020 Vintage Tournament?:

@thecravenone

You didn't go to NYSE VI either so it's not surprising that you, as a Texan, are disinterested in New York events.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Prospero asked for people's opinion and I gave mine.

I've traveled pretty far to tournaments before, including to New York state within the last year. (And another non-Magic trip to NY about a month ago) My issue isn't with New York, it's about being in a difficult spot to get to in general. Like if I scheduled an event in College Station, sure you could get there (heck, United flies multiple flights every day) but I'd have a lot better turn out if my event was in Houston or Dallas or San Antonio or Austin.

I would love to see a bigger Vintage scene in Long Island. I think its great that someone is considering putting out the effort. And if I have anyway of getting cards or a ride from Ontario I will do my best to come. However... I don't generally make out of country tournaments because of cards and travel.
Good luck!

last edited by John Cox

Interested, but I said that about the last NYSE and then couldn't attend, so take that with requisite salt.

Very much in for this.

Nick, I would follow you into the Mists of Avalon, if that is what you mean.

In all seriousness though, despite my 95% being in just for the chance to play some vintage, please don't try to stretch for a Mox just for the sake of doing so. It creates these really huge drop off's in EV between 1st and 2nd place...forget about the rest of the top 8.

When I lost in the finals at the last "Clash at the Cradle" event, my opponent took home a pretty clean Ruby and I basically complained my way to $100 Credit (it was supposed to be only $80). It looked worse because of the reserved list spike that happened literally weeks after that event, but a $1300-1500 drop in value b/x 1st and 2nd is a bad look for me. If you can find a way to run a cash event, I believe your name/brand attached to the event will be enough to get bodies in the room without risking your own wallet unnecessarily.

NYSE is:
The TO (you!)
The People
The Experience
The Atmosphere
The State (New York event)

NYSE isn't:
The Entry Fee
The Prize
The Venue

You're free to call the event whatever you want, but it's NYSE VII.

@sock-monkey This reply meant a lot to me. Thank you.

last edited by Prospero

@thecravenone said in Spring 2020 Vintage Tournament?:

@thecravenone

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Prospero asked for people's opinion and I gave mine.

I've traveled pretty far to tournaments before, including to New York state within the last year. (And another non-Magic trip to NY about a month ago) My issue isn't with New York, it's about being in a difficult spot to get to in general. Like if I scheduled an event in College Station, sure you could get there (heck, United flies multiple flights every day) but I'd have a lot better turn out if my event was in Houston or Dallas or San Antonio or Austin.

Can I interest you in Chantilly Virginia?

Views