MTGO Daily Event reports

• TMD Supporter

This thread is meant for reports from mtgo daily events. I know a lot of people don't even consider them as tournaments or even as an event with any relevance, but I also know a lot of people disagree with that and at the very least Vintage Daily Events might currently be the most common way for people to play Vintage as it seems like about 15-25 people play these events daily.

I'm gonna kick things off with my own report in the second post and if people submit reports with more than few lines of text I will continue to link the to this OP so that people can use the OP as a searching tool in the future and see how people have had success or failures with any given deck at any given time.

Direct links to reports:
    7.5.2016 3-1 with Day's Undoing Belcher by yugular
    29.5.2016 3-1 with Day's Undoing Belcher by yugular
    5.6.2016 3-1 with Day's Undoing Belcher by yugular
    18.6.2016 3-1 with BUG Ratstill by wfain
    25.9.2016 3-1 with Day's Undoing Belcher by yugular

Feel free to give me feedback about this idea and please submit reports. At least I would like to read them.

• TMD Supporter

Vintage Daily Swiss - Event #9667630 - 7.5.2016 21:30 (GMT+3)

I just played in my first ever Vintage Tournament!

20 or 19 players showed up. Player integgroll shows up in the standings but doesn’t have opponent and I have a bye. This is weird? Maybe integgroll joined the very second when the event fired and it messed it up somehow? After round one his record was 0-0… (standings screenshot)

I am relatively new player to Vintage and this is my first Vintage daily. I chose to play a Day’s Undoing Belcher list I saw online. Did a few practice matches and noticed the deck can win out of nowhere even in the hands of a player with my skill level. Sideboarding was hard though because I had played so little with this deck. I have some knowledge about the format as I have owned P9 since it was available online and I have played some casual games every now and then, but competitive Vintage is new for me.

The Decklist:

Lands:

• 1 Tolarian Academy

Artifacts:

• 1 Black Lotus
    • 2 Chrome Mox
    • 2 Expedition Map
    • 2 Goblin Charbelcher
    • 1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    • 1 Lotus Petal
    • 1 Mana Crypt
    • 1 Mana Vault
    • 1 Memory Jar
    • 1 Mox Emerald
    • 1 Mox Jet
    • 3 Mox Opal
    • 1 Mox Pearl
    • 1 Mox Ruby
    • 1 Mox Sapphire
    • 1 Sol Ring
    • 1 Time Vault
    • 1 Voltaic Key

Sorceries:

• 4 Day's Undoing
    • 1 Demonic Tutor
    • 4 Gitaxian Probe
    • 1 Ponder
    • 1 Time Walk
    • 1 Timetwister
    • 1 Tinker
    • 1 Wheel of Fortune
    • 1 Windfall

Instants:

• 1 Ancestral Recall
    • 1 Brainstorm
    • 4 Force of Will
    • 1 Pact of Negation

Enchantments:

• 4 Leyline of Anticipation

Planeswalkers:

• 2 Dack Fayden

Creatures:

• 4 Notion Thief
    • 4 Simian Spirit Guide

Sideboard:

• 3 Defense Grid
    • 4 Grafdigger's Cage
    • 1 Hurkyl's Recall
    • 3 Mental Misstep
    • 3 Mishra's Workshop
    • 1 Tezzeret the Seeker

Round 1: Bye
    1-0

R2: Lexor19 - Ravager Shops
    Game1: Im on draw. Start with active leyline. He plays Ancient Tomb and puts Thorn into stack. I respond with: Chrome Mox (not exiling anything), Mox Opal, exile Simian Spirit Guide, Sol Ring, Wheel of Fortune. Proceed with fresh hand: Mox Jet, Mana Vault, Git Probe, LED, Brainstorm, Time Vault. Then comes my turn1 and I cast Tinker into Voltaic Key. He doesn’t concede and I almost make a mistake but still manage to beat him in few mins with Notion Thief.
    G2: I mull down to 6 and keep a hand that loses to t1 Thorn of Amethyst following t2 another Thorn of Amethyst.
    G3: I get to activate belcher t1 to reveal academy as my 1st card, priceless! :D t2 i deal 19 and he’s at 1 life. t3 I activate belcher again and hit for 2 dmg. This one was close. I would have died to Reality Smasher and Though-Knot Seer next turn. I sideboarded Workshops in which I believe were meant for this matchup but actually almost got me as the second belcher activation wasn't lethal because of workshops.
    2-0

R3: Sand_Crab - Dredge
    G1: Play first. Opponent mulls to 5 and starts with leyline of the void at the battlefield. I have a good hand and I can assemble VaultKey combo, but I misclick and untap Sol Ring instead of Mana Vault and lose. Yeah Im bad at this game...
    G2: Opponent mulls to 3 and I start with Leyline in play. He plays Bazaar turn1 and I play a dozen of spells in his first turn including Day’s Undoing into Grafdigger’s Cage, which he tries to misstep. I have Demonic Tutor to find a blue card and Im able to cast FoW. Few turns later I draw another Day’s Undoing which gets me Tinker, which gets me Belcher, which kills my opponent.
    G3: I get to play Grafdigger’s Cage at my opponents t1 (Leyline + Lotus Petal). I hardcast SSG and start beatdown. My opponent has Bazaar + Mana Confluence. Turn 8 my opponent is at one life and I have two Spirit Guides at the battlefield. He finally finds an answer to my Cage but my last card in hand is Timetwister which I cast with his evoked Ingot Chewer in stack. My twister finds another Cage and he concedes.
    3-0

R4: Amor - I dont know the name of this deck!
    g1: First of all! I can’t believe I made it into the finals! At the very beginning of the game I make a huge mistake and cast Mox Opal not noticing that I already have one in play. I admit my opponent that Im playing in my first daily and that I am nervous and tired (already past midnight here). Well he responds: ”lol mine too. We’re not doing badly considering”. Mtgo somehow lost the replay of this game but luckily I had a screenshot from the game. My opponent got manascrewed and despite my slow hand I am able to activate belcher for lethal turn6.
    g2: Opponent mulls to 5, I mull to 6 and I keep a slow hand with no real action. Turn 6 my opponent casts Voltaic Key and Forces my Mental Misstep. Next turn he is able to hardcast BSC with the help of Mana Vault and Voltaic Key.
    g3: I keep a bad hand: Belcher, FoW, SSG, Brainstorm, Leyline, Opal, Emerald. It looks decent if you don’t understand that Mox Opal actually counts for zero mana, which I didn’t realize… I struggle with my hand and at the deciding turn I am one mana off for casting Time Vault and stealing my opponents Voltaic Key with Dack to assemble the combo. My opponent has two keys in the play and stealing one doesn’t make the difference. I don’t get a next turn.

Final Standings:
    alt text
    This daily didn't get posted on the wotc site.

My take-offs from the first ever daily I participated in:

1. Blue Belcher is very explosive and able to steal games
    2. Mulligan decisions are hard and I often choose wrong
    3. Mox Opal is a legendary artifact
    4. Vintage is fun, dailies are fun

Thank you for reading! Tips on how to play the deck or tune the decklist are welcome.

• This is a good idea. I'll probably start contributing to this thread when I play dailies. It'll be a good exercise to re-watch my matches and write them up.

• Hello, Nice deck but... your list it's 58 cards long?
    Maybe you are playing 4 belcher instead of 2?
    Regards.

• TMD Supporter

Thanks for posting this. This reminds me of my early magic days when tournament reports were king. You could read The Dojo for hours browsing deck lists and tournament reports.

I really hope to see more of this here! And Yugular, I've kind of known you (online only) for a long time, I'm so glad to hear you're into Vintage now!

• TMD Supporter

By the way, looking at your screen shot, I THINK that your last opponent was on Tezzcast. They could have been on the UR-Welder (Or New City Vault if you prefer), both of those decks are some of the only ones that would run Opals, Tops, and Keys.

• TMD Supporter

@Islandswamp said:

I really hope to see more of this here! And Yugular, I've kind of known you (online only) for a long time, I'm so glad to hear you're into Vintage now!

Thanks. Me too! I already have a second daily report 90% ready to submit. I will have to see if I have time to make a short youtube video to support it though before I send it in. And I was kinda hoping someone else would report also, but I will use this as my personal "blog" if no one else posts :D And yeah Ive been around for years in modo but competitive vintage is new to me.

And always feel free to ask questions and comment on my mistakes.

• @yugular said:

Player integgroll shows up in the standings but doesn’t have opponent and I have a bye.

This happens when someone joins and then drops before the event starts. It's been a "glitch" for like 2 years now. I figured they would have fixed it by now, but I suppose it means it's unfixable.

• TMD Supporter

@Kelwyrm said:

Hello, Nice deck but... your list it's 58 cards long?
    Maybe you are playing 4 belcher instead of 2?
    Regards.

Thanks for pointing out. It definitely was a typo. I was running 3x Mox Opal not a singleton Mox Opal. I will edit it. 2 belchers seems to be quite universally accepted as far as decklists I have seen. Though these decklists are hard to spot as so few people run the deck.

• TMD Supporter

I'm pretty sure four belchers is the norm. Maybe I'm wrong...?

• @Islandswamp For what it's worth, every Belcher list on mtgtop8 since 2014 has 4 Belchers in it.

• TMD Supporter

@Topical_Island said:

@Islandswamp For what it's worth, every Belcher list on mtgtop8 since 2014 has 4 Belchers in it.

I didnt even remember that site. I always look forums and mtgsalvation for vintage decklists. Thanks!

Few lists that have been released on wotc site this winter have had 2xbelcher in it. My list is exact copy of some months old 3-1 list.

• @yugular Yeah. I know people use mtggoldfish, but for pure event and decklist checking, I think mtgtop8 is... tops?

• TMD Supporter

Vintage Daily Swiss - Event #9739921 - 29.5.2016 21:00 (GMT+3)

I am again playing Day’s Undoing Belcher. It was good to me and I feel like it’s a friendly deck for a beginner so why not give it another go. It seems that White Eldrazi is the new ”deck to beat” and even with my limited deckbuilding skills and understanding of the format I wanted to have at least one card in the sideboard to fight Phyrexian Revoker which can really ruin this deck if played t1/t2. I was scanning decklists to get an idea of a card that would be able to deal with Phyrexian Revoker that would be cheap and easy to cast and possibly have some fringe playability in other matchups. I couldnt really find what I was looking for but somehow remembered that Gut Shot is a free 1dmg spell that I would be able to cast always. Now I couldnt recall if anyone had played the card actually in Vintage but I decided to try it out nevertheless. (turns out 2 decks in 2014 run it according to mtgtop8.com) So I made a small change to my sideboard from last event: -1 Mishra's Workshop +1 Gut Shot

The Decklist:

Lands:
    1 Tolarian Academy

Artifacts:
    1 Black Lotus
    2 Chrome Mox
    2 Expedition Map
    2 Goblin Charbelcher
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Memory Jar
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    3 Mox Opal
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Time Vault
    1 Voltaic Key

Sorceries:
    4 Day's Undoing
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Ponder
    1 Time Walk
    1 Timetwister
    1 Tinker
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    1 Windfall

Instants:
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    1 Pact of Negation

Enchantments:
    4 Leyline of Anticipation

Planeswalkers:
    2 Dack Fayden

Creatures:
    4 Notion Thief
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Sideboard:
    3 Defense Grid
    4 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 Mental Misstep
    2 Mishra's Workshop
    1 Tezzeret the Seeker
    1 Gut Shot

Round 1: iamfishman - Day's Undoing Belcher with Candelabra (BoM2016 top8 belcher list maybe?)
    G1: check my youtube video with commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKpTaWcUDXA
    G2: on draw. Mulligan to 6. He has active leyline and casts mox ruby. I play a t1 windfall off from Chrome Mox and Mana Cypt he is at 5 cards while i'm at 2. I had the opportunity to play Day's Undoing, but I thought Windfall would be more beneficial as I get to continue my turn. Well he is able to go down to 3 cards by deploying Map and LED to the battlefield. I draw Pact, Belcher, Black Lotus. Crack the Lotus to cast belcher and win next turn.
    1-0

R2: voicesfordaze - White Trash???
    G1: on play. Opp mulls to 6. I have active leyline and probe t1. My probe sees Cavern, Chalice, Priest, Flagstones, Mox Emerald, Wasteland. I allow him to draw a card for his t1 and when he tries to cast Chalice for 1 in response I play my Mana Vault. I think he should play chalice for 0 rather but im not sure about it... Turn2 I tinker for belcher saccing Mana Vault and I have enough mana from SSG's to activate belcher which hits for lethal.
    G2: on draw. I keep a bad 7-card hand and get punished with Thalia+Kataki.
    G3 on play. He plays t2 Kataki against my Leyline, Sol Ring, Map and Mox Opal. Luckily I have Gut Shot in hand! He is able to play Ethersworn Canonist the next turn and I cast Simian Spirit Guide which starts attacking while he refuses to block with Canonist. He also plays Vryn Wingmare the next turn and Stoneforge Mystic after that. I have drawn a belcher though and when he wastelands my Academy I play belcher in response and win next turn.
    2-0

R3: footemanchu - Dark Petition Storm
    G1: on draw. Made a stupid mistake. Kept a hand with LED thinking I can cast Day's Undoing off from it. Well that didn't work out. I had a FoW for his first Dark Petition but he was able to Mind's Desire for 3 and got 2xCabal Therapy + Dark Petition. Pretty sick. Couldn't beat that.
    G2: on play. He duresses my belcher but Im still able to go off and win after several draw sevens.
    G3: I mulligan down to 5 but he has to wheel on t1. I draw active FoW but he has duress and wins.
    2-1

R4: BlueSkiesJ - Ravager Shops
    G1: on play. Mull to 6. I deploy Time Vault t1 blind and need to Day's Undo on my t2 and he kills me with Ravagers and Trike. FoW from Day's Undoing could have been a difference here, but no luck for me after the lucky 1st match in this daily.
    G2: on play. Opponent mulls to 5. t2 I wheel with Notion thief in play putting him to topdeck mode. I play belcher turn 3 and hit him with it three times for the kill. He just didn't find an answer.
    G3: A close game. I keep a sketchy hand and almost die to my own Mana Crypt with active Key-Vault. However I manage to find a Hurkyl's Recall inside Jar and next turn DT for belcher and win.
    3-1

Final Standings:
    alt text
    this daily didn't get posted on the wotc site.

Another finish in May for the prizes with the deck! My take-offs from the daily:

1. I am still bad at mulliganing decisions
    2. I am still bad at playing with LED
    3. This deck is powerful and fun
    4. Gut Shot for the win!

Thank you for reading! Tips on how to play the deck or tune the decklist are welcome.

• @yugular Hey, there is no day's undoing in my BOM16 Blue Belcher and the leylines are in my sideboard :-)

• TMD Supporter

@igooazoo said:

@yugular Hey, there is no day's undoing in my BOM16 Blue Belcher and the leylines are in my sideboard :-)

:) I assume you are iamfishman then. Like I wrote you during the daily our match was fun. Lady Fortuna was definitely on my side of the table this time.

• TMD Supporter

Vintage Daily Swiss - Event #9762923 - 5.6.2016 21:00 (GMT+3)

Im playing the same list as week ago. Belcher is still fun and I feel like I can go 4-0 or 3-1 with it if all the stars align in correct order and butterly on the other side of the planet makes his first fly around in the garden just when the event fires.

R1: JdPhoenix - 5c Humans
    G1: play. Mull to six. Probe his hand: City of Brass, Dark Confidant, Noble Hierarch, Qasali Pridemage, Scab-Clan Berserker. Play mox, mox, mox, LED + Belcher and hit for 2 dmg. He draws his card and concedes.
    G2: draw. opponent keeps seven, i mull to 3: Voltaic Key, Mox Ruby, SSG and scry Mana Crypt to top. he plays t2 Scab-Clan Berserker and i die in a couple of turns.
    G3: play. keep7: Time Walk, Sol Ring, Gitaxian Probe, Mox Ruby, Tolarian Academy, Dack Fayden, Expedition Map. Opponent mulls to 6. I draw timetwister from probe and proceed to go off. Turn1 kill!
    1-0

R2: MossdogTrainee (Randy Buehler) - White Eldrazi
    G1: play, mull to 6. Randy keeps his 7. For some reason I play nervously and for example play a probe to his chalice for 1. He has a good hand and I lose.
    G2: play. keep7 with only one mana source, should have mulliganed. Again made mistakes and for example miss a critical fow on revoker t1 that shuts off my Mox Ruby.
    **1-1 **

R3: Kinny - Sylvan Mentor
    G1: draw. Turn1 kill! See it on my youtube channel: https://youtu.be/y24-1JD9NuM
    G2: he had 3 fows -> i lose. I thought after game one that he is some kind of Eldrazi or workshop deck and my sideboarding was also way off.
    G3: I’m on play and manage to win thanks to some sweet topdecks! See the win in youtube: https://youtu.be/P_pF7uN6vlk
    2-1

R4: JuggernautGO - DPS
    G1: on play, mull to 6 and my opponent keeps 7. t1 Mox Pearl, Black Lotus, Mana Crypt + Day's Undoing. I get to deploy mana and ruin his opening hand, seems good so far! He plays probe + library of alexandria and passes the turn. Ii play more manastones and undo again t2 with FoW backup. t3 i probe him and see that he plays DPS and proceed to go off with belcher kill.
    G2. draw. both keep7. He starts by Thoughtseizing my Memory Jar. I deploy some mana including Black Lotus and cast Timetwister with BL up. I pass the turn and he starts by putting Gitaxian Probe into stack, I respond with Notion Thief and draw a Sol Ring. He plays Cabal Therapy but I have two Mental Missteps in my hand and when I counter CT he concedes.
    3-1

Final Standings:
    alt text
    This DE got posted on wotc site: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-daily-2016-06-06

What a result again! I am happy! My first round opponent played another daily the same day with the same deck and managed to go 3-1 and his decklist go published at mtgo.com : http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-daily-2016-06-05 Round 2 I really played poorly, maybe I was too scared of my Hall of Famer opponent? And while I played poorly I cant take anything off from Randy. I watched the replays and he played really well, I propably would have lost even if I played to my best skill.

So far I have played 4 dailies with the deck and managed to go 3x 3-1 and once 1-2-drop. That's surprisingly good for such a glass cannon.

**Thank you for reading! **

• TMD Supporter

Im posting wfain's DE report from the "BUG RatStill" thread.

Decklist and the original thread: http://www.themanadrain.com/topic/382/bug-ratstill/1

@wfain said:

Went 3-1 (w/ round 1 bye) in the DE tonight. I'll post my raw notes below, might be hard to follow but I think most of you will be able to figure it out.

Ratstill report

Round 1: bye

Round 2: blacklotust1, white eldrazi
    Keep mm, ss, fluster, dt, da, pd, mv
    Tomb thorn
    Temple thorn
    Karakas smasher
    Dt for dismember
    Wasteland on a mutavault, revoker on abandon hope
    Draw vault, play dismember paying 2 life, stabilizing, then lose to random guys

G2 t1 mox mox waste, he plays plains, I play land, he plays tomb and displacer. Waste tomb, decay displacer, upkeep vamp for tireless tracker and cast
    Revoker and thalia vs tireless
    Decay revoker
    Rat
    Priest
    Thorn
    Tracker
    Thorn, win w/ 2 trackers and rats against thalia, priest

G3, won, fow t1 tks mox top land into plague spitter killing thalia on t2, pack rat into standstill concession
    Boarded mm, fluster, deep analysis, and 1 jtms out for nature’s claims, trackers, dreads, and spitter

Round 3: atog_215, dps
    Keep wastex2, strip, quarter, lotus, force, standstill
    Play lotus, wasteland
    Opponent probe, delta
    Strip mine
    Delta
    Delta, standstill
    Mire
    Quarter, target delta, crack for sea, waste sea,
    Nothing
    Muta, hand is waste, waste, fow, decay vs full grip 2 fetches in play
    Swamp, dark rit, grid, I dtt keeping fow, standstill, force pitch force on grid, he ancestral, crypt, rit, dt, grid, led, fetch, rit, tendrils for 24
    Bring in leyline, claims, labs, spitter, cut dismember, jtms, deep anal, crucible, decay, cruise

Keep leyline, claim, lotus, drs, ancestral, trop, bayou
    Trop, recall, draw mm, top, saphire, play top sapphire lotus
    Delta, fetch, sapphire, grid, probe
    Top, draw fluster, claim grid, play drs
    Probe, preordain, duress, I misstep
    Top, wasteland underground sea, leave force on top w/ fluster in hand
    Crypt, dt, I fluster
    Top, draw lab, crack lotus for lab
    Grid
    Standstill
    Force a twister, he conceded

G3 keep lotus, rat, drs, dt, delta, delta fluster
    Probe, tank, sea, ritual, ritual, sol ring, dps, will, probe, rit, rit tendrils exactsies
    pretty sure is correct to keep that hand, plan was to play lotus crack for bbb, play dt for arcane lab, play drs, leave up flusterstorm, make lab on t2

Round 4: i_b_true, grixis
    Keep lotus, emerald, strip, fluster, standstil x2, jtms
    Island, jet, strix
    Lotus, strip, mox, play jtms w/ u floating, see fow, delta, cruise. Draw was wl
    Ruby, yp, gets forced, preordain, volcanic
    Waste both lands, +2 jtms putting dt on bottom
    Tarn, probe, dack
    Dt for pyroblast, kill jtms,
    Play cruise, wl, dismember strix
    Mm cabal, cruise, into gush into cabal
    Draw waste, rat, waste his sea
    Strix
    Make a rat, trade w/ strix
    Tarn, bstorm, sudden shock rat
    Waste his volc, play sea
    Probe, dack, pyro I brainstorm, he forces
    Recall into delta, trop, dtt keep jet, decay, kill yp
    Nothing
    Draw decay
    Chain draws in jtms, I decay sapphire
    Draw nothing, he draws pyro
    Nothing again lose
    Board in spitter, tracker x2, out a force, vamp, rat, maybe I should expect leyline and cut the delve cards/deep anal too? Don’t have anything good to bring though

Keep, fluster, cruise, standstill, decay, spitter, delta, streip
    Ruby, lotus, tarn
    Lotus, spitter, standstill, forced
    Attack some, eventually shocked
    Cruise, force, fluster, drew crucible, tracker, fluster
    Yp
    Decay yp, drew dtt
    Gush, probe, dack, steal my emerald
    Tracker, delta
    Cruise
    Clue, standstill, force pyroblast, kill dack
    He Strip mine sea
    Win w/ tracker

Keep decayx2, walk, lotus, drs, swamp, delta
    Sapphire, recall, jet, blind cabal on standstill, miss
    Lotus gets forced, play drs gets mmed
    Preordain, volc, lotus,
    Walk and land drop
    ruby
    Land, jet, rat, opponent gushes, make a rat to play around sudden shock
    Dack, loot,
    Rat, decay dack
    Yp,
    Cruise, fluster paid for, swing, make a rat
    Probe, therepy,
    Yp can’t beat 5 rats
    I win! 3-1! Plus 8 tickets, plus 30 playpoints and qp #35

Main deck was very good. I think Chalice would be great in here. SB was medium good. Plague Spitter was strong. Trackers were outrageously good. Might need another Arcane Lab. Maybe it is worth just punting the Oath matchup to make Storm a better matchup?

• TMD Supporter

Vintage Daily Swiss - Event #10110312 - 25.9.2016 21:00 (GMT+3)
    13 players -> http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-daily-2016-09-26

Youtube playlist:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz9HrNQn5CA_eS4WiLzOtE3owQYrWnqSt

Feedback from the videos appreciated :)

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.