So, it's past time to do this again, share our favorite or best picks from 2019.

I've been doing this for about 10 years. For context, here is Last year's thread, and the 2017 thread.

Here's a full list of films released in 2019: https://www.firstshowing.net/schedule2019/

I saw 34 films on that list, with a few more I still intend to see.

With that said, here is my top 10, in reverse order.

1. Knives Out

Entertaining from Go, and great twists along the way.

1. The Marriage Story

Not nearly as depressing as people said, but brilliant acting performances, and touching at the same time.

1. Spider-Man: Far From Home

The Spider-Man reboot has been an incredible success. This film was insane, surreal, and utterly compelling.

1. Uncut Gems

An incredible slice of Americana, much better than I expected.

1. Little Women

I was not expecting much, but it was a really good film, and had the best ending - one that reversed a mistake in the book.

1. The Irishman

The perfect closing to Scorsese's gangster sagas. I watched this during Thanksgiving, and didn't feel it was too long.

1. The Lighthouse

I disagree entirely that this film was too long. It was the perfect length. It didn't quite reach the heights of the Director's previous film, "The Witch," but it was damn good.

1. Joker

This was agonizing in so many ways, but is a zeitgeist movie for our time.

1. Parasite

Utter original and brilliant characterization, making you root for the protagonist family. Hard to watch, but impossible to turn off. It was worthy of it's awards.

1. Queen & Slim

Riveting and thought-provoking while brilliantly executed.

@Klep , your turn!

last edited by Smmenen

Steve,

Are you sure you meant Homecoming and not Far From Home? Homecoming came out in 2017. 🙂

last edited by volrathxp

@volrathxp Steve was just late to the party. Tune in next year when he reviews The Lord of the Rings Trilogy! 😛

I really wanted to like The Irishman, but boy it did make it hard for me..
Other than that, I loved Once upon a time in Hollywood, and an honorable mention goes to detective pikachu. While not an outstanding movie in itself, it took me back to my younger years before I even knew Magic.
Also, 1917! I love me some good warmovies.
And while technically not from 2019, I saw Thr Green Book just a couple months ago, so I'll make it count for that year. 😄

@Smmenen
Just wondering about "Joker" its numbered 5 but in the 3 position is it 3 or 5? You also call it a Zeitgeist movie. Do you mean Zeitgeist the German word or Zeitgeist the Marvel comic char? -either works oddly enough.

@volrathxp said in Best Films of 2019:

Steve,

Are you sure you meant Homecoming and not Far From Home? Homecoming came out in 2017. 🙂

Yes, sorry I mixed those up 🙂

The first one was very good, but Far From Home was weirder and more surreal. The way that it used visuals to mislead viewers was original and frankly stunning.

@john-cox said in Best Films of 2019:

@Smmenen
Just wondering about "Joker" its numbered 5 but in the 3 position is it 3 or 5? You also call it a Zeitgeist movie. Do you mean Zeitgeist the German word or Zeitgeist the Marvel comic char? -either works oddly enough.

The former.

Views