I really enjoy the companion mechanic and am inspired to play more games with companions. I have thought commander to be fun as well, but I don't like the 100-card highlander restriction.

Is there such a format as 60-card Commander, in which power is also legal and I can play 4 of certain cards such as Gifts Ungiven or Brainstorm?

Mostly the Vintage restriction list but with a commander?

The Team Serious Virtual Realm is planning on a U30 event in early July. This is an experimental format based on greatly raising the bar for restriction in Vintage.

If you remember the Mr. Burns Disease analogy from The Simpsons, it's like that. The current restricted list for U30 is below. If you're curious, the response to Lurrus's banning was to add Lion's Eye Diamond to the restricted list. Lurrus is legal as a four-of.

Ancestral Recall
Black Lotus
Demonic Consultation
Demonic Tutor
Imperial Seal
Lion's Eye Diamond
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Merchant Scroll
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Mystical Tutor
Sol Ring
Time Walk
Timetwister
Tolarian Academy
Vampiric Tutor
Wheel of Fortune

Theory behind this is that it's tutors; the best, oldest fast mana; and unconditional, cheap draw-7s. This includes all of the P9, for tradition's sake.

So here's what's unrestricted:
Balance
Brainstorm
Chalice of the Void
Channel
Dig Through Time
Flash
Gitaxian Probe
Golgari Grave-Troll
Gush
Karn, the Great Creator
Library of Alexandria
Lodestone Golem
Lotus Petal
Memory Jar
Mental Misstep
Mind's Desire
Monastery Mentor
Mystic Forge
Narset, Parter of Veils
Necropotence
Ponder
Strip Mine
Thorn of Amethyst
Time Vault
Tinker
Treasure Cruise
Trinisphere
Windfall
Yawgmoth's Will

Do what you want. Vintage cannot be tamed.

Brass Man has suggested five-game matches.

last edited by GrandpaBelcher

Do you have a link to the details?

edit

Awsome. Im in for this

last edited by desolutionist

DM'd. The Discord and tournament are open. We're just not publishing the invite widely. All people have to do is ask.

That’s exactly how I would have the restriction list as well. It’s practically common sense. I think once you start restricting cards like Ponder it sets a weird precedent

@desolutionist Yeah, you reminded me the other day of how much more I enjoyed the consistency of 4x Brainstorm vintage. I know that's not true for everyone though.

There is also Competitive Commander (cEDH) but I have no idea how popular that actually is.

Canadian highlander as well, which has a novel approach to restriction in its points system (https://canadianhighlander.wordpress.com/)

Balance
Brainstorm
Chalice of the Void
Channel
Dig Through Time
Flash
Gitaxian Probe
Golgari Grave-Troll
Gush
Karn, the Great Creator
Library of Alexandria
Lodestone Golem
Lotus Petal
Memory Jar
Mental Misstep
Mind's Desire
Monastery Mentor
Mystic Forge
Narset, Parter of Veils
Necropotence
Ponder
Strip Mine
Thorn of Amethyst
Time Vault
Tinker
Treasure Cruise
Trinisphere
Windfall
Yawgmoth's Will

I get 4 Channel, 4 Karn, 4 Time Vault, 4 Memory Jar, 4 Lodestone, 4 Chalice, and 4 Trinisphere. Yeah good luck ever getting a turn if you play me and don't win the flip.

@serracollector said in Casual Vintage Formats:

I get 4 Channel, 4 Karn, 4 Time Vault, 4 Memory Jar, 4 Lodestone, 4 Chalice, and 4 Trinisphere. Yeah good luck ever getting a turn if you play me and don't win the flip.

Force of will is a card in the format still.

@protoaddict

8 fow 4 gush 4 brainstorm breach sounds about right.

Or you could play 4 Tinker.dec, Balance.dec... so many options

Main:
4 Tinker
4 FoW
4 FoV
4 channel
4 Land Grant
1 Bolas's Citadel
1 Tropical Island
4 trinisphere
4 ESG
4 karn, creator
8 Solomoxcrypt
1 Mana Vault
4 lotus petal
1 Lion's eye
1 Ancestral
4 Charbelcher
4 Serum Powder
4 Veil of Summer

SB:
4 FoN
4 Grafdigger's
1 Time Vault
1 Manifold Key
1 Mycosinth Lattice
4 Leyline of Sanctity

I'd try out something like this 🙂

@thewhitedragon69 if you only have 5 other blue cards in the deck why play force of will?

I'm in the freeform lobby on MTGO waiting for someone to join. "U30 testing"

My deck isn't that scary

4 Scalding Tarn
2 Sprite Dragon
2 Underworld Breach
4 Force of Negation
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Force of Will
4 Polluted Delta
4 Volcanic Island
4 Underground Sea
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Gush
4 Brainstorm
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Merchant Scroll
4 Gitaxian Probe
2 Mental Misstep
4 Young Pyromancer
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Brain Freeze

2 Seal of Fire
2 Yixlid Jailer
4 Pyroblast
2 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Dismember
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Soul-Guide Lantern
1 Lurrus of the Dream Den

edit

I've actually found Lurrus to not be good enough in this format, but the rest of this deck is pretty solid against 4x Trini/Lodestone shops. I got crushed by Flash, though. I should be streaming on MTGO later today

@desolutionist and I just played a set of matches that were lots of fun the 4x Tinker, PO, Vault, Key deck beat xerox but definitely got a bit lucky. And then gush tendrils lost to xerox. Fun was had, this reminds me of vintage in 2014/15. I haven't tried to play against shops yet though. Overall the format is explosive but not like actually that much more insane than some of the versions of the format I actually played in.

Yeah it looks insane on the surface, but once you realize there's 8 Forces, it's not that bad.

We still have to figure out how good Balance.dec and Necro.dec is.

reporting in

Necro.dec isn't good enough.

Sorry if this is hijacking, but I had a question about the U30 format.

@grandpabelcher said in Casual Vintage Formats:

Theory behind this is that it's tutors; the best, oldest fast mana; and unconditional, cheap draw-7s. This includes all of the P9, for tradition's sake.

[...]
Tinker

To me this seems strange. Tinker is both a tutor and fast mana, checking 2 of the restriction boxes. Why is it unrestricted?

As a side note, I feel that Imperial Seal would be a better unrestriction. Has that been considered?

last edited by Joep

you might want to think of Tinker as an additional cost tutor / blue artifact engine card. It’s honestly over hyped. You can just Pyroblast it and then they’re down two cards.

Views