Since this is a product that is meant for somewhat causal play but will still be allowed in eternal format, what do people think this set will bring? I'm suspect that we will wind up getting 1-2 new cards that are actually going to be hugely impactful.

This is mostly just a hunch mind you but since it is a casual format it would be entirely possible to see a Phyrexian theme with Phyrexian mana for instance, or some sort of off the rails theme land that winds up being very good.

if cards from it have eternal relevance I would expect tribal cards of some kind; an elf or goblin that fits in somewhat with the existing legacy decks. aside from that, i'd say the usual warning signs that wotc can't got a set without ignoring are the thing to check: cards that mess with the basic mana system of the game(free spells, cost reduction, rituals), cards that generate substantial card advantage for 3 or less mana, cards that are good with such enablers(reanimate/tinker targets), and cards whose effect has no clear precedent and is therefore likely to have not been costed properly in design.

The nature of the product is around themes, so we can probably assume tribal will be pretty overwhelming. I'm thinking we may just see incremental power shifts to legacy underpowered things that may push them into relevance. If there is a Merfolk theme for instance I would not be shocked to see a merfolk tribal land with an island subtype for instance. I imagine each deck would have to have at least 1 new card because people would get annoyed buying product that was all reprint garbage.

Personally as a draft format I think the idea is really cool, I actually do want to play it, but I also look at how undersold something like battlebond was and realize this is a potential goldmine for someone who is paying attention.

@protoaddict said in Predictions for Jump/Start:

I imagine each deck would have to have at least 1 new card because people would get annoyed buying product that was all reprint garbage.

there are 37 new cards and 46 themes, so this will likely require some overlap with some new cards showing up in multiple decks.

@blindtherapy said in Predictions for Jump/Start:

there are 37 new cards and 46 themes, so this will likely require some overlap with some new cards showing up in multiple decks.

If you look at recent design of things like Kaheera, the Orphanguard and Animal Sanctuary I suspect we may see similar designs. It not only allows them to have overlap but it creates synergy between the jumpstart decks.

Views