alt text

Doomsday is very popular and mystic sanctuary seems good. Is this card worth looking at now?

It’s been played in Vintage side events at pro tours the first time Gush was restricted. In a GAT shell of course. I think it’s hard to justify over a 3 mana planeswalker to be honest.

But maybe in Doomsday it could be decent. Personally when I play Doomsday, I don’t play any 3 mana spells (aside from Doomsday which can be played through Dark Ritual) because I try to win before I have 3 lands. Though this can also be played through a Dark Ritual, so there is a possibility it’s worth trying out.

Having to pay mana for a card where one of the selling points is that it is free at instant speed is a hard sell to me. 1/3 body does not really justify that cost, and I'm not sure that anyone would fall for the morph trick because so few morph creatures see play that this would be mostly telegraphed.

What benefit does this bring to doomsday that gush does not already?

@protoaddict

Gush is restricted.

This Fathom Seer would be over a one-of Peak or Street Wraith or two.

The point is you can pay the mana investment up front on a turn that you’re not trying to combo and then on a subsequent turn use the ability for zero mana after you’ve just paid your mana for Doomsday.

In other words, 3 Underground Sea, Doomsday, and Fathom Seer is a 2-turn win that isn’t completely “all-in” on the first turn. If they counter Fathom Seer no big deal.

It’s like paying 1 mana for Sol Ring on turn one and consequently having 4 mana on turn 2.

Or 2x Dark Ritual, Doomsday, Fathom Seer, 2x Underground Sea is a much faster win as well.

last edited by desolutionist

Lemme put it this way. There are SO MANY ways to make a doomsday pile at almost any point in the game, at what point does the inclusion of this work out more in your favor than 1 gush plus whatever else, like a Lab man pile or whatever.

@protoaddict

Fathom Seer is never put into the pile.

After you resolve Doomsday, Gush or Ancestral is on top of your deck. You still need a way to draw it. The cards that recently have filled that role have been Street Wraith, Gitaxian Probe, Preordain, etc. Whatever it is, it has to be free or one mana to cast. Fathom Seer is “free” on the turn you activate it’s ability.

@desolutionist said in Fathom Seer:

@protoaddict

Fathom Seer is never put into the pile.

After you resolve Doomsday, Gush or Ancestral is on top of your deck. You still need a way to draw it. The cards that recently have filled that role have been Street Wraith, Gitaxian Probe, Preordain, etc. Whatever it is, it has to be free or one mana to cast. Fathom Seer is “free” on the turn you activate it’s ability.

So then follow up to that would be is this really any better than running Alchemist's Apprentice or Hapless Researcher or something? Both are cheaper to get into play. You don't return the lands, which I suspect will be irrelevant in a lot of piles, and you don't draw 2 but one again you can stack your 5 so maybe you don't need to draw two. It does seem to me that if Seer was going to be the way to do this it would have shown up before now.

@protoaddict i think if you don't have mana floating you will always need a draw2 to both get into a pile and win that turn with it, while with mana floating a draw 1, even a sensei's top, suffices. that said, putting fathom seer in your deck is likely worse than putting a 2-3 mana tutor that finds gush from your deck for that role in almost all cases.

last edited by BlindTherapy
    Views