What could replace the fetches/duals as a default mana base

@vaughnbros said in What could replace the fetches/duals as a default mana base:

Shroud/Indestructible multi-colored lands. Conditional draw. Making things uncounterable. Producing 3 or more, or filtering for double color. These are effects sometimes worth playing over duals. If they pushed those mechanics far enough, they could be playable over the traditional set up.

For what it's worth, any land with Shroud/Hexproof/Indestructable that produced colored mana could potentially be huge. I mean if you had:

Darksteel Island
Land- Island
This land is Indestructible. When this land comes into play take one damage.

People would absolutely run this over at least one basic island just to protect from decks that recur stripmine. I also think this design is far more likely to happen than a dual with the same stuff printed on it. The issue is without the island subtype the card is very likely not good enough if not just actively bad, but if you put the island subtype on it suddenly it is fetchable and fetches remain king.

@protoaddict

That’s why you take away “island” and just make it “land”. If the lands (without basic land types) in your deck are better than the lands (with basic land types), there’s not a good reason to play fetches.

That’s why I proposed indestructible duals that cannot be fetched. In order to fulfill the purpose of eliminating fetchlands

last edited by Guest

@protoaddict

One color and pinging you is also bad. That card is very tame, and likely unplayable even with fetches.

Man lands that don’t come into play tapped is another. Let’s pile it all into one:

Hidden Leaf Village
Shroud
Tap-> G or W
G/W: Becomes a 2/1 until end of turn

@desolutionist No, you give it island so you can run it as a 1-of and fetch it. But only make it for blue, not the other colors. Because...blue.

@thewhitedragon69 said in What could replace the fetches/duals as a default mana base:

@desolutionist No, you give it island so you can run it as a 1-of and fetch it. But only make it for blue, not the other colors. Because...blue.

I don’t follow your logic. The point is to not play fetches.

How about something basic like:
Volcanic Mana Source
Land - Island Mountain
When ~this~ comes into play, target opponent draws a card (or scry 2 or 3?)
T: Add U
T: Add R

@desolutionist I was being sarcastic - as in every set seems to push blue even further over the top. I'm a notorious blue hater, so I'd never actually want to see that.

@protoaddict said in What could replace the fetches/duals as a default mana base:

@vaughnbros said in What could replace the fetches/duals as a default mana base:

Shroud/Indestructible multi-colored lands. Conditional draw. Making things uncounterable. Producing 3 or more, or filtering for double color. These are effects sometimes worth playing over duals. If they pushed those mechanics far enough, they could be playable over the traditional set up.

For what it's worth, any land with Shroud/Hexproof/Indestructable that produced colored mana could potentially be huge. I mean if you had:

Darksteel Island
Land- Island
This land is Indestructible. When this land comes into play take one damage.

People would absolutely run this over at least one basic island just to protect from decks that recur stripmine. I also think this design is far more likely to happen than a dual with the same stuff printed on it. The issue is without the island subtype the card is very likely not good enough if not just actively bad, but if you put the island subtype on it suddenly it is fetchable and fetches remain king.

FWIW If this was also an artifact it would be way too good.

Views