@desolutionist @desolutionist Re: Original Riddler - the deck name was a nod to the game play. Face-down had the whole "what am I?" factor. Sometimes it was drednaught, sometimes it was welder (original '04 version)...sometimes it was a drednaught I payed 4 to play with mask so the opp would think they could profitably block a "juggernaut" with their 3/X. Being able to sneak in 1cmc bombs through trinisphere or chalice @1 and being uncounterable was fantastic. Then WotC killed mask's ability, and the whole strategy died. End of an era.

Re: New Riddler - the name seems to be a nod to Riddlesmith, which is a key card in the deck. It uses ovalchase as the card to discard to riddlesmith so that every moxen you cast is a straight-up cantrip. Really good with PO. It also activates the mana reduction on hollow one (which cantrips itself on riddlesmith). The deck appears to be fun and has divergent, but somewhat synergistic lines. The issue comes when you draw multiple ovalchase when you want gas and have no bazaar or riddlesmith...or bazaar and riddlesmith when you have a single moxen and no PO or hollow one. You'll dig into what you need eventually, but should be dead by turn 3 if you haven't won by turn 3.

last edited by Thewhitedragon69

I'd like to see the decklist if anyone is willing to type it up. I cannot watch the video for personal reasons.

@desolutionist said in The Riddler:

I'd like to see the decklist if anyone is willing to type it up. I cannot watch the video for personal reasons.

Same

@desolutionist @Ten-Ten

looks like:
4 bazaar
1 academy
3 blue fetch
3 underground sea
2 island
8 SoLoMoxCrypt
3 mox opal
1 sensei's divining top
1 expedition map
1 manifold key
1 mana vault
1 ancestral recall
1 gitaxian probe
4 riddlesmith
1 time walk
1 demonic tutor
1 time vault
1 merchant scroll
1 tinker
1 yawgmoth's will
4 PO
4 ovalchase daredevil
4 force of will
4 hollow one
1 treasure cruise
1 citadel
2 repeal

SB:
karakas
2 tabernacle
blightsteel
4 surgical extraction
fatal push
4 hurkyl's recall
mindbreak trap
flusterstorm

Didn't @chubbyrain1 invent this deck when riddlesmith came out?

@john-cox

Riddlesmith came out a long time ago. 10 years ago. Before Vintage was on MTGO. I remember testing with the card on MWS.

But Matt definitely has used him a bunch of times over the last few years in online events. I don’t think he used Hollow One or any other aggressive, “madness”, elements.

last edited by Guest

Chubby's riddlesmith list from last year didn't play any POs and was based around echo of eons + riddlesmith as an engine. Wheels were a lot better when Narset was unrestricted. Here's a list he played in a challenge.

Good gosh it’s like Dredge Outcome. Just all the card advantage.

I wonder if a Candelabra of Tawnos is good in this list, or just win more? Being able to untap Bazaars, and Academy, bounce with PO, and repeat the process seems very very strong, especially if your return those Daredevils each time to chuck back with multiple bazaar activations.

@vaughnbros said in The Riddler:

Good gosh it’s like Dredge Outcome. Just all the card advantage.

My two favorite decks in one!

Views