I have recently been tinkering with a new build of monte I was interested in playing the deck as the recent trend toward graveyard decks make me want some main deck leylines. I built it to be a faster than normal version and since I knew that dodging FOV would be impossible I opted to overload it with targets and play a thoughtcast package. Ritual is present to help speed up the clock and by only playing 2 colors I don't have to worry about making a 5 color mana base work. This results however in a slight deck slots problem where there is simply no space for FOW and the deck is too blue light to take full advantage of them. I chose sphinx for my tinker bot because my playgroup includes a moat control deck sphinx may not be right for everyone but I think it is right for my situation. The sideboard is a work in progress 4 nix for hogaak where it counters every card they cast I care about. 4 trickbind for doomsday because it's REALLY funny when they deck after doomsdaying. 4 steel sabotage for shops and 3 duress for controlling decks. I am not confident in those but that's why I picked what I did. I have been having a surprising amount of success with the deck and in fact the only matchup I find myself consistently losing is shops. I would love some help refining the deck and I am eager to hear if you all get the same results I am having with this pile.

4 Leyline of the Void
4 Helm of Obedience
4 Painter's Servant
4 Grindstone
4 Dark Ritual
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Crypt
1 Lotus Petal
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key
2 Mox Opal
1 Tinker
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
2 Defense Grid
4 Thoughtcast
4 Polluted Delta
2 Underground Sea
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Vault of Whispers
4 Mishra's Workshop
2 Seat of the Synod

4 Nix
4 Trickbind
4 Steel Sabotage
3 Duress

If you have any thoughts I am eager to hear them.

Might try Manifold Key in place of Voltaic, and I would suggest a few Thoughtseize in the board.

last edited by John Cox

@john-cox said in New Build of 2 Card Monte:

Might try Manifold Key in place of Voltaic, and I would suggest a few Thoughtseize in the board.

Manifold is strictly better even if I do enjoy the iconicness of voltaic and would you sub duress for the thoughtseizes or what would you take out?

@botvinik
Depends on your meta, but I would think that I would rather have the discard over Trickbind everywhere but doomsday.
Alot of people play with Voltaic just for the old borders an fun factor. With sphinx in the deck it may not really matter.
Just 0.02c.

Doomsday is the only deck I have found to be faster than me who does not fold to leyline, the matchup was horrible before the trickbinds were added to the board. My sample size was small but if felt like uncounterable disruption was the only solution. 2 of the 3 people I play vintage with regularly play at least some doomsday so I am very hesitant to shave them. Given, if doomsday is a smaller portion of your meta it may make sense to and is probably the objectively correct board. My creature plan so far has been win before they matter and it’s been petty successful so I would love to hear what creatures have been causing you trouble enough to be worth running the seize.

Views