@volrathxp I get it totally. Just commenting on the "I want it now" society we live in. People bitch if they have to wait in line for literally one minute.

I'm not upset that Anuraag and Julian took a while to get this done.

I'm making fun of an eleven billion dollar company that can't live stream their championship when the local webcam tournament is able to do it with a handull of half-drunk dudes at that helm.

last edited by thecravenone

I for one find it funny that people spend their time and energy complaining about this awesome article by @IamActuallyLvL1 but, as a community, say almost nothing about Andreas Petersen being DQ'ed for Bribery.

Cheating in Magic is a tradition older than most Magic players. We're desensitized.

last edited by thecravenone

@fsecco said in MTGO Eternal Weekend:

I for one find it funny that people spend their time and energy complaining about this awesome article by @IamActuallyLvL1 but, as a community, say almost nothing about Andreas Petersen being DQ'ed for Bribery.

What is there to say?

This was one of the least controversial DQs of all time and it's good that Andreas and the other person were held accountable. There's no real question of sleight of hand or sloppy play or marked cards. Literal video evidence, plus the damning tweet. It was disconcerting that some people thought that because this happens "all the time" it's ok, but I think most people were just waiting to see what would happen and were happy to see justice and the 2nd place person get the painting.

If there is one topic worth discussing, it's that MTGO used to pair like in paper during the final round with the 1 seed playing the 2 seed, the 3 seed playing the 4 seed, and so on, unless they already played. They scrapped this when they went to daily events, which awarded prizes based on record and didn't care about seeding (so it was unfair to make top seeds play - you were actually penalizing people for having good tiebreakers by making them play other people with good tiebreakers for the same prizes as people with lower tiebreakers). In top X events, tiebreakers are relevant but if you have random pairings in the end, you get an unequal incentive to play in the last round where one player might be playing for top 8 and one player playing for play points. Returning to power pairings makes for more similar incentives and decreases the likelihood of this happening.

To be clear, MTGO's flaws doesn't excuse bad behavior from players but fixing the system can certainly make bad behavior less likely.

@chubbyrain1 I guess I expected more people commenting this, giving it more visibility. If you compare the reaction to this to the reaction to Weissman's CoP, I think it seems the Vintage community is more tolerant to this stuff than the Old School.

I agree with you on the system stuff.

last edited by fsecco

@fsecco People were talking about it, but not necessarily on TMD. Twitter and Discord tend to be more active with MTGO players and this was a MTGO tournament.

last edited by chubbyrain1

@chubbyrain1 I know. I saw literally nothing about it on Twitter though, while with Weissman it was everywhere. I don't use much Discord for Magic, so maybe I missed it there. Anyway, just though it was odd.

@fsecco said in MTGO Eternal Weekend:

I didn’t find anything awesome about the article, but ok.

@ten-ten Comments like this aren't going to lead to more Vintage content, especially since this was probably not a cost-effective use of Justin's time, and more something he did for the community. If you weren't a particular fan, constructive criticism is going to get you more of the content you're interested in while still being respectful to the time and effort Justin invested in the coverage.

Views