April Vintage Challenge Top 8 Mini-Report: Academy

• Hey there everyone. So I posted briefly in the tournament results section that I top 8'd and finally got around to writing a short report of the event (rounds that had replays at least). This is a copy paste job from my longer more legacy focused report on the source. If you are interested in that here is a link to the entire thing.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?30682-Shortcake-Maketh-Man-Double-Eternal-Challenge-Top-8

Otherwise, enjoy this snippet. I look forward to jamming vintage way more and will be attending the NYSE. Lastly, if anyone remembers anything from the earlier matches or later ones feel free to chime in. I'm a vintage noob so anything is welcome.

... (legacy part of the report)

VINTAGE

Anyways that was pretty long but it’s about to get longer with this free-value Vintage Top 8 report.

I first got into Vintage back around the holidays last year, and was browsing random lists for something that fit my playstyle. I was initially considering 5c Welder shops, then perfect storm, before I stumbled onto a Blue/Red wheel dropping bombs style deck that ran welder by Onkel. It was like a hybrid between belcher and dack thieves and I knew I would love how explosive it was. I sold a ton of chaff in my collection and got the power and forces and stuff and messed around with the list to end up here:

Lands:
    2 Volcanic fetch
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Seat of the Synod
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge

Artifact Mana:
    1 Lotus
    5 Mox
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Sol Ring
    2 Mox Opal
    1 Chrome Mox

Card Draw:
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Thoughtcast
    2 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Ancestral Recall

Wheels:
    1 Timetwister
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    1 Time Spiral
    1 Memory Jar

Other Blue Shit:
    1 Time Walk
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Tinker
    1 Transmute artifact

Artifacts:
    4 Expedition Map
    2 Voltaic Key
    1 Time Vault
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Defense Grid
    1 Trinisphere

Greatest Creature in the History of the Game:
    2 Goblin Welder

A tinker scrub:
    1 Myr Battlesphere

Utility Walkers:
    2 Dack Fayden
    1 Tezzeret

SideBoard
    3 Force of Will
    2 Chain of Vapor
    4 Ingot Chewer
    4 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Defense Grid

I played some dailies and managed to 4-0 them, and jumped into the Vintage challenge a few weeks ago. On the downside there are way more lost replays, on the plus side most games involve drawing a metric shit ton of cards, wheeling, using academy for 8,000 mana and then just vault-keying.

Rounds 1-4 I don’t have any data for but I know that I beat Storm by dropping about ten cards and then getting a Trinisphere down, lost to Doomsday because they had so much permission and then combo killed me anyways, beat some random mentor gush decks because defense grid is awesome, before picking up with replays in round 5. I stood 3-1 at this time

Round 5 vs matori on blue counters dredge

Game 1: I start with a mull and keep 2 probe, minamo, map, welder, thoughtcast and draw a sol ring off the first one. The map gets mindbreaked and he gets bazaar down but isn’t dredging anything good. I’m not too sure about builds but maybe its because of all the counters. I fire off a thoughtcast, get athirst and lay a Key. He does nothing special and I start the next turn off with a welder that gets forced, I ancestral and one of the three is the time vault.

Game 2:I turn 1 time vault while also holding tinker, transmute, thirst, and thoughtcast. I draw two on my turn getting a timetwister as well and prep to win the next turn. However he therapies me for transmute and tinker so I have to reset everything with twister while he has two bazaars ready for next turn. A map sets me up with academy and I start going crazy, welder, top, cage, recall (misstep). Meanwhile a leftover narc and two zombs take me to 1 life. I lay Minamo and wheel and eventually cast infinite more mana and random trinkets, draw oodles of cards and weld in my countered voltaic key to win.

4-1

Round 6 vs Atog Lord on Sylvan Mentor

Game 1: I start out with Academy, time spiral, seat, sensei, thirst, and map in hand. First two turns I lay out artifacts and tutor up minamo prepping for a massive turn three. I play out a trinisphere to bait countermagic and it hits, and then transmute eats a flusterstorm and flips his erayo. I use the last of my mana to thirst and it got me a ruby and a welder. He doesn’t do anything of consequence, I play a random junk card let it get countered, weld in the 3sphere and spiral and untap my minamo and academy. With the new 7 I cast myr battlesphere and time walk and he is low enough that the attack is lethal.

Game 2: I get greedy on turn 1 going volc, sapphire, map (misstep), lotus into thoughtcast which gets flusterstormed. My welder gets swordsed the next turn and I cant recover.

Game 3 I kept a risky hand with only a mox pearl trying to set up a sensei top and voltaic key for a thoughtcast and thirst in my hand if I could find blue mana. I got ancient grudged twice and it wasn’t ever a game.

4-2

However, just like before our hero sneaks into 8th place, seeking redemption.

Round 7 vs becks84 on DPS

Game 1:I win the roll and go volc, ruby, key, opal, recall in there as well, mana vault, untap opal, thoughtcast. He timewalks his first turn then kills me

Game 2: I start off with probe into: mana crypt, emerald, seat, lotus into Jar, then going probe, jet, thoughtcast, key, map, trinisphere. He lays a land, I draw a battlesphere and cast it next turn. Gets there

Game 3: I keep a hand with seat, minamo, ruby, top, crypt, welder, force. He yawgwills and kills me before I take a turn.

4-3

For my efforts in this one I got a time walk. I certainly love Vintage now that I've been playing it and doing busted stuff you could never do in Legacy. I am slowing acquiring the pieces for the deck in paper and am planning on getting out to proxy events. Changes I have since made are dropping the dacks for dig through time and mystical tutor, and cutting the thirsts for windfall and ponder. In the board I chopped the crypt because the dredge matchup is already so favorable for another defense grid, and added in a petrified field for the wasteland matchups since Academy is literally that good and important. You can come hang out in my thread here even:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...453#post947453

Well I hope this didn’t get too long and that it was enjoyable. Always happy to answer questions about either deck and until next time.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.