MTGO May 2016 Power 9 Challenge

• Here is the metagame breakdown for the May edition of the MTGO Power 9 Challenge:

Top 16 Lists

5-2 or better:

1. Collector - Dredge
    2. Call1Me1Dragon - White Eldrazi
    3. Montolio - Eldrazi Shops
    4. Pubert - Grixis Pyromancer
    5. Mr. Random - White Eldrazi
    6. BlackLotusT1 - White Eldrazi
    7. Lexor19 - White Eldrazi
    8. JdPhoenix - Blue Moon
    9. Diophan - Jeskai Mentor
    10. IcyManipulat0r - UW Mentor with Delver
    11. Ravager101 - DPS
    12. Footemanchu - DPS
    13. Deibler - Jeskai Mentor
    14. Sigaisen - Dark Sylvan Mentor

Metagame Breakdown and Win Percentages:

alt text

Note: Mirror matches were not included for overall win %.

Archetype vs Archetype Win Percentages and Sample Sizes (n = number of wins - for instance, Gush decks went 5-0 against Oath)

alt text

Subarchetypes as promised:

alt text

As always, a major thank you to @diophan , Ryan Eberhart , for his help with this (and condolences on the 9th place finish).

Edit 1: Top 16 decklists linked to above.

Edit 2: Updated the original post with Subarchetypes. We considered IcyManipulat0r's deck to be a "mentor" deck instead of Delver as it had a more expansive manabase (with Sol Ring and Mana Crypt) along with Mana Drains. Obviously, this helps emphasize that classifications are gray rather than black and white and there is no perfect system.

Edit 3: There was a rather odd bug in or google doc that affected a handful of matches in round 4 (for some inexplicable reason, the fill function skipped cell 43 and caused a misalignment of opponents to archetypes for 10 match results or so). This slightly affected the calculated win% against the field and we have updated the initial table.

• Thank you both.

Wow, Gush had a 28% win percentage against Eldrazi. That's pretty funny. But it was also pretty soft to Dredge, unsurprisingly.

I, for one, welcome our new Eldrazi overlords.

Only 14% Eldrazi in the field, but 5 in the top 8 (62.5%) is pretty nuts.

• TMD Supporter

I love seeing a new archetype break out. Hopefully this isn't a flash in the pan and we'll be seeing Eldrazi decks perform well alongside more well-established decks for a long time to come.

• Amazing work here. This is a real service that you both (Matt and Ryan) provide to the community.

• I had a lot of fun (and will admit some insane luck) this tournament. I had a lot more games that felt tense than what you would expect from dredge.

I am still new to vintage so I will be browsing this site a fair amount soon, maybe bring something new (for me) next time.

• Congrats to Collector for the win and massive thanks to Matt and Ryan for the metagame breakdown.

Felt like I was on the right deck (white Eldrazi), but fell apart after a 3-0 start. Putting it down to variance and fatigue. Deck (or mtgo shuffler!) is capable of some horrendous draws, but overall is a lot of fun and a welcome change of pace. Felt hard to come from behind (usually on the draw) and perhaps Tangle Wire is missed there slightly. Look forward to seeing how it evolves.

I can't remember who it was, but one opponent in a mirror I played had Stoneforge for Batterskull/Bitte, which seemed a good way to get an edge there.

• I guess I should have just run my Wednesday list rather than continuing to tinker! Do we know how many of the Eldrazi in the field were white? (Wondering masochistically if it was 5 and I'm the only failure ... :-))

• Congrats to Collecter and the rest of the Top 8.

As ChubbyRain (great work btw) mentioned i went 5-2 with Jeskai Mentor where both of my losses coming from white eldrazi and most of those games (1-4) weren't even close. Seems like the Eldrazi menace has finally arrived in Vintage.

• Congrats Collector! Impressive performance from the Eldrazi, didn't see that comming!

I had the worst run in the long time, dropping at 0-3. 1st match my opponent had Lotus/Necro in g1 and 1st turn Kill in g2. 2nd match, my opponent had 2x Library. 3rd match, my opponent had 1st turn Abrupt Decay for my Oath/Orchard/Mox. I feel like jumping on the bandwagon instead of trying to do my own thing.

I'm so sad that Salvagers are still not playable online. :(

• Congratulations Collecter!
    Thanks for doing this Matt and Ryan.
    Eldrazi must be good.

• I felt so good playing a win and in for the last round...only to get paired vs dredge. :( Brain farted in sideboarding (it turns out that Standstill isn't particularly useful) and got crushed after a couple mulligans. ggs Collector and congrats on the win. :)

• I'm actually a little surprised that Eldrazi did so badly against dredge. You'd think an aggressive deck with Wastelands and maindeck containment priests would have a fighting chance.

• Does 'combo' include Doomsday AND Storm? What about Belcher?

If so, it could be better to give TPS it's own category since it functions fundamentally different than Doomsday and is a favorite in different match ups.

-edit- okay, I see that you will add more in depth later. Thanks

• TMD Supporter

It's actually incredible that I've been playing a deck extremely similar to that white eldrazi for the past couple weeks online in queues. I guess some people picked up on it.

• @RandyBuehler 8/9 of the decks we classified as eldrazi were white eldrazi. The final list did play mishra's workshop, but was super eldrazi focused so we decided to lump it in with the white eldrazi instead of with the shops list.

@desolutionist Combo was just TPS/DPS. There were no belcher players and we put doomsday and tropical storm in with gush. We might do some subarchetype breakouts later.

• I didnt get to play yesterday, but thank you @diophan & @ChubbyRain for posting this each month. Big take aways from this meta and top 8 results... Eldrazi is really good :(

Also, no Mentor in top8 is surprising, but the Matchup vs Edlrazi seems like it can be tough.

But its just awesome that we get to play and see results in this awesome format that changes day to day. Congrats @Collecter on the win!

@ChubbyRain , could we look to post a thread on the winners and their decklists (archetype) for each P9 challenge? It would be cool to have that somewhere to keep track of the winners and progress of decks :)

• Top 16 Decklists have been released by Wizards and linked to in the original post.

Edit: Fun Fact...2 Seeker of the Way in the top 16. That actually is a card that intrigues we as it helps race against Eldrazi and hits the board quicker than Mentor.

Edit 2: Updated the original post with Subarchetypes. We considered IcyManipulat0r's deck to be a "mentor" deck instead of Delver as it had a more expansive manabase (with Sol Ring and Mana Crypt) along with Mana Drains. Obviously, this helps emphasize that classifications are gray rather than black and white and there is no perfect system.

Edit 3: There was a rather odd bug in or google doc that affected a handful of matches in round 4 (for some inexplicable reason, the fill function skipped cell 43 and caused a misalignment of opponents to archetypes for 10 match results or so). This slightly affected the calculated win% against the field and we have updated the initial table.

• @diophan FWIW, I'm pretty sure I beat an Eldrazi list in round {5?}, dealing it a 3rd loss, that was not a White list but instead the list called "Stompy" on MTGGoldfish (Eye, Mimic, Endless, one, etc) so I suspect it's 7 white out of 8. At this point I feel like there's 3 (known) ways you can play 8+ Eldrazi: Shops, Stompy, and White.

• @RandyBuehler What commonly played cards in the meta do you think are already good against any of the known Eldrazi builds?

• @RandyBuehler

Correct me if I am wrong but I have you down as playing Eldrazi once in Round 7 (@sodoyouwearacape). I think I remember watching this match and don't believe it was a particularly drawn out affair (so we don't get to see much of decks involved). Because of this, we try to watch a couple of matches and I believe your opponent played a Thalia in one of them, which is why we considered the deck to be White Eldrazi despite it being more Eldrazi tribal in nature.

Edit: Without having lists, there is only so much we can do.

• @ChubbyRain Ok, fair enough, I am probably biased by thinking of the White list as "mine" so anything with Mimics and Endless Ones feels different. The 3 sub-archetypes definitely blur together, and categorization is hard, and OH MY GOD YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING. Thank you so much for all the great work you do!

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.