0_1610479064093_b54015a2-a428-4026-a9d6-5906f00d5b76-image.png
as far as i can tell, the upsides to this over cage, aside from dodging singleton misstep, is that it stops tinker for citadel/jar, goblin welder for noncreature nonlands, sun titan for nonlands, and similar effects.

It’s an uncommon. This is great for budget players.

@lienielsen said in [KHM] Weathered Runestone:

It’s an uncommon. This is great for budget players.

This is not a format for budget players, especially ones who cannot afford Grafdiggers cage.

I actually think the benefit here could make this viable as a sideboard card.

• Diversity - Cannot be extirpated if they get your cages, cannot be named by meddling mage, Dodges MM but does get hit by spell snare (which sees no play), can dodge a CotV set to 1
  • Coverage - Does in fact cover more cards than cage as the OP pointed out. If Lurris was not banned, which at this point is something that could happen, this would stop him.

Doesn't do enough extra to justify the extra cost, IMO.

In matchups where you need Cage, you need it in play ASAP, ideally while simultaneously layering additional hate cards or answering additional threats like Hollow One that Cage doesn't answer. Paying an extra mana for Cage is not compatible with these plans.

@evouga You get 0 hate turn one if it is Misstepped, just saying. For most decks who would use this, 2 mana is not an issue turn 1. If anything the strike against this is that it is still an artifact and thus vulnerable to Force of Vigor.

last edited by Protoaddict

@lienielsen When you really need to save $1.50 on your Vintage deck.

Is this better than cage in a workshop deck?

@john-cox or sun titan it, play it off crucible, etc

@john-cox so did i. cage stops you from sun titaning/crucibling dryad arbor

Eh bro’s whatchu mean Vintage isn’t for budget players?

Vintage 4 every1

In all seriousness, with 10-15 proxy Vintage is the cheapest format to get into. And if I didn’t have any money, I’d probably want to play the maximum number of $1 Grafdiggers Cages/Weathered Runestone and then go from there.

last edited by LieNielsen

Usually not better than cage but if you have a lot of 2 card monte or storm in your meta it might make the cut if you are already running leylines to help conserve slots.

Views