So, Lord of the Rings and 40k coming to Magic, and legal in Vintage. How does the community feel about this?

Keep in mind these are not standard legal sets (maybe not modern or pioneer either, that was not clear to me) so it is entirely possible we see some cards that are of an outsized power level that could have relevance to vintage. It is almost impossible to believe that the one ring from LOTR would not be a powerful artifact for instance.

Is this an interesting turn of events that will bring properties to the game people love, or the erosion of the brand that will lead to it's eventually implosion?

last edited by Protoaddict

@protoaddict

Sauron's Ring

Artifact

T: Add 2
7T, Sacrifice Sauron's Ring: Search your hand, library, graveyard, and exile for up to one planeswalker card in each zone and put them onto the battlefield under your control.

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them"

How can they print LOTR, Star Wars, or Marvel cards without ownership of those brands?

last edited by LieNielsen

I hate the decision as an adult, but might have loved it as a kid, so maybe it’s the right decision.

I hope it doesn’t become FunkoPop Magic and really wished they had made these separate games (but powered under MTG rule set), but what can you do. I’m sick of complaining with their decisions the last two years (mass secret lairs, banned cards, pushed power, and all the variants). I would have loved to see some of this stuff on slower rollout, but that’s not the world we live in.

I won’t quit, but I’ll probably take a big step back depending how widespread the IP becomes.

If the IP is here and there and doesn't overwhelm the game, I’ll probably learn to accept it like every other decision.

If if becomes Star Wars vs Marvel heroclix, I doubt I’ll maintain interest. I can find infinite exposure to IP everywhere else.

last edited by joshuabrooks

@thewhitedragon69 I have to believe the one ring would be equipment, and knowing WOTC it'll give "corruption counters" whenever it's used or something like that. But the Palantir could be something like this.

I also feel like they will lay off planeswalkers. Maybe Gandalf and Saruman because thats is what they sorta do if you know the stories, but it's too cannon breaking.

The real question is do they bring companion back for Sam?

Maybe this will leave the door open for functional reprints of power 9

@lienielsen said in Magic Universes Beyond:

How can they print LOTR, Star Wars, or Marvel cards without ownership of those brands?

Licensing agreements

Anything is better than the trash they’ve been printing.

I'm excited to play my Rick / Samwise / God-Emperor of Mankind deck at Eternal Weekend 2022!

I for one am deeply unexcited and uninterested and really wish they just made them once a year silver bordered sets and went really crazy with the mechanics. I don't think it will kill the game but if they keep on making FIRE level bad design choices and aggressively alienating the community with greed we may be in for a looooooooooong slow decline.

Maybe this will leave the door open for functional reprints of power 9

I fail to see how they can ever do it. What exactly does a functional reprint of a real mox or dual land look like, and how does that not break vintage when you add+1 mox to the restricted list for shops and PO? The only way to fix the supply issue is actual reprints, either just straight up or as skins like they did with Godzilla, and with the Reserve list as is that can't happen.

Or lets just say they take the concept of the 1 ring and just make it a legendary colorless mox that deals you a point when tapped (To represent the bad part of it). That in no way fixes the problem, it only deepens it.

@protoaddict

They can just print a card like this:

“CARDNAME”
Artifact
Add one green mana
CARDNAME cannot be in the same deck as Mox Emerald

@protoaddict

They can just print a card like this:

“CARDNAME”
Artifact
Add one green mana
CARDNAME cannot be in the same deck as Mox Emerald

This is almost the exact same example that Maro gave some time ago when he was explaining ways they would never be able to get away with circumventing the reserve list. I think he also ruled out doing snow covered true duals.

Even with the extra copy on it that card is a functionally identical reprint because the exclusionary text would also apply to the original card, meaning it by definition also says "this card cannot be included in a deck with the other card". If you made it snow it would not be functionally identical, though it may actually be functionally superior if you did that, but again they said they would not "cheat" that way. It would also have a similar effect on the price tag of the original, which was the reason the reserve list exists.

No to get away with it I think they have to print functionally superior or parallel cards, which is very hard to conceive of. Like I guess you could make the one ring literally be a lotus that spent for 4 mana but you have to exclude other 0 mana artifacts from your deck or something. Or you could print a Space Marines Mox that tapped for rainbow mana but could only be used on Space Marines tagged cards or something.

I mean you could make it tap for:

1G or 1 Colorless

Or do a Dual Land that also taps for colorless.

But yeah, not a lot of upside for them in this direction (at least for the moxes, maybe the duals).

snow/legend/whatever duals would mean, supertypes aside, that you can now run 5+ underground seas, or run a split so you still have lands in your deck vs waste+surgical, or whatever, but that in most cases your legacy deck, and maybe your 4 color CEDH deck, get a lot cheaper.
doing the same thing for moxen just mean the game has more moxen, which is probably not a good idea, and they'd all be banned in commander so wotc probably wouldn't want to do that.
will mtg:40k have some eldrazi temple-level broken mana? will Mount Doom be a legendary badlands? who knows. but we're not getting real moxen.

It looks like this is a good time to dig out my MECCG collection. But seriously, I am concerned more about how much damage MtG can do to the LotR franchise rather than how the LotR franchise can affect MtG. MtG will be just fine.

0_1614403851860_120572946_10158784304672370_2583495364212822952_o.jpg

what about Sprite Dragon and Dorat the Perfect Pet? Couldn’t they do something like that?

We’re all a bunch of old farts that talk game but don’t actually play or purchase cards. It’s not like our opinions weighed on Wizards’ bottom line.

My only request is that the One Ring is so powerful and format breaking it starts on the restricted list.

Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Indestructible

Equipped creature gains unblockable and shroud.

At the end of each turn, if creature is not a zombie, put a +1/-1 counter on creature.

If creature dies while equipped and it is not a zombie then return as zombie and equip.

Whenever equipped creature deals damage to an opponent gain control of an artifact they control.

last edited by vaughnbros
    Views