I know that Doomsday is the perfect home for Thassa's Oracle. I have been looking at the combination of Thassa's Oracle and Paradigm Shift and I look this combo. I think Vintage is actually in a place where a deck that focuses on this combo is playable.

My issue is that I don't want to play it on MTGO, mostly because Hullbreacher is stupid expensive. I am working on a paper list and I wanted to see if there were any thoughts on making this deck work in Vintage.

The merfolk decks in Legacy are using this combo and those decks are doing ok-ish, but I think the power level is good enough for Vintage in an Esper shell. I'll post a list once I get something working.

The place this gets the most play is in CEDH as a OTK. You combo it with Demonic Consultation or Tainted Pact and win with the trigger on the stack. CEDH is honestly the closest to vintage power level of all the other formats with the most overlap so it is worth looking at.

While I am not sure if Pact would work in vintage (your whole deck would need to be singleton other than 1 other copy of pact but including basic lands) Demonic Consultation does work though, as does storming out with brainfreeze and breach (though you would not need it then).

Paradigm shift on the other hand seems like a total dud to me because you also have to remove your graveyard and it's only other utility is force pitch.

@moorebrother1 said in Thassa's Oracle:

I know that Doomsday is the perfect home for Thassa's Oracle. I have been looking at the combination of Thassa's Oracle and Paradigm Shift and I look this combo. I think Vintage is actually in a place where a deck that focuses on this combo is playable.

My issue is that I don't want to play it on MTGO, mostly because Hullbreacher is stupid expensive. I am working on a paper list and I wanted to see if there were any thoughts on making this deck work in Vintage.

The merfolk decks in Legacy are using this combo and those decks are doing ok-ish, but I think the power level is good enough for Vintage in an Esper shell. I'll post a list once I get something working.

If you do some research you’ll see that Hullbreacher and Thassa’s Oracle decks have zero overlap in MTGO results.

@moorebrother1

Mtgo player ianmarsh has been playing a deck like you're describing for months. The list has changed around a bit, so you might want to look their their past decks to see the progression, but the most recent result was this deck link

Divining witch tends to be better than shift because it doesn't get pyro'd, and you can activate it to find the oracle, then activate it next turn to win with the oracle. It's also just a risky tutor, which is much better than a dead exile your library card.

@protoaddict said in Thassa's Oracle:

Paradigm shift on the other hand seems like a total dud to me because you also have to remove your graveyard and it's only other utility is force pitch.

Ironically, I just top 8'd the 76 person Vintage Challenge with Esper Shift... Being able to pitch your combo pieces to Force of Will when you need to is good, actually.

It's been settled. Paradigm Shift is the Vintage-breaking tech of 2021! 🐷

@thewhitedragon69 said in Thassa's Oracle:

It's been settled. Paradigm Shift is the Vintage-breaking tech of 2021! 🐷

Well, that seems like a rather bold declaration but I admire your confidence. I typically take the time to play cards and learn their intricacies, but even then seldom reach such a level of certainty.

My own take on Shift is a bit more tempered and can be summarized as “not a total dud”. The point of commenting here was merely to let the OP know their concept is playable if they wish to pursue it.

I have been brewing a Paradigm shift deck for a little while. I have not played much MTGO, so I'm not sure how it would do there but I am testing it in paper in my play group.

This is the best list that I have seen for a Thassa's Oracle strategy.

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Brainstorm
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Daze
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dig Through Time
1 Flooded Strand
2 Flusterstorm
4 Force of Will
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Gush
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mental Misstep
1 Merchant Scroll
2 Mindbreak Trap
2 Misdirection
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mystic Sanctuary
1 Mystical Tutor
4 Paradigm Shift
4 Polluted Delta
1 Ponder
4 Preordain
3 Relic of Progenitus
4 Snow-Covered Island
4 Thassa's Oracle
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise
4 Underground Sea
1 Vampiric Tutor

1 Eliminate
1 Fatal Push
1 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Leyline of the Void
1 Mystical Dispute
1 Opposition Agent
2 Ravenous Trap
4 Steel Sabotage
1 Swamp
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

@moorebrother1

Have you considered doomsdays? They usually do a pretty good job with the oracle.

To pull from different threads:

For a forum that occasionally has more posts from spambots than from actual people, this hostility to brews and the shifting of goalposts are unfortunate and detrimental, IMO.

@chubbyrain1 LOL, love this guy.

I actually have no issue (or opinion) with the brew or Paradigm Shift. Was just a dig at your comment, not the OP - and I honestly don't know why I like picking with you. My troll side comes out 99% of the time with your posts.

The reason for a thread like this one is to stir up interest and some discussion in alternative deck strategies. The meta-game is solved and it is fairly straightforward at this time, just go to mtggoldfish and look at the top Vintage decks.

There is room in Vintage for innovation. Strixhaven offers little to no new cards for Vintage. I look at Vintage almost the same way that I view Old School. The top tier decks do not really change much and those decks can be attacked from different angles but the format as a whole is open to some "new" strategies.

I have built this deck on paper and in MTGO. I just do not get a lot of time to play so I have not updated this thread with results.

last edited by moorebrother1
    Views