alt text

Expressive Rehearsal UR
Sorcery (U)
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put one of them in your hand, one at the bottom of your library, then exile the rest. Until end of turn, you may play the exiled card.

This seems really solid. I would not compare it to a 1 mana cantrip so much as I think I would compare it to something like DDT.

Best case scenario is it is a 2 mana "draw 2" and you put your blightsteel to the bottom of the deck, and that is honestly pretty good. There have been some other reduced cost draw 2's in the past few years that have been pretty good but the conditions on them have not been great for vintage (flying creature, deal direct damage, etc) and DDT is a proven staple but has a built in limiter and choke point.

I think this could be viable in decks that are already playing Izzet colors. Could be just a fun of copy, but it does a lot of good stuff.

DDT? do you mean dig through time?
i would think night's whisper is the better comparison.

@blindtherapy said in [STX] Expressive Rehearsal:

DDT? do you mean dig through time?
i would think night's whisper is the better comparison.

Nights Whisper is close as well, though requiring double colored mana means maybe even sign in blood is closer?

I use DDT as my comparison because A) it shares a color B) shows you deeper than just what you draw.

This is worse than Night's Whisper since land, Mox, this is really bad in comparison - since you don't draw 2 cards, just 1 and you'll only be able to play your 2nd draw this turn if it's a 0 mana card. If you're playing a bunch of Baubles and stuff like that then maybe, but even then the mana cost seems prohibitive.

@fsecco said in [STX] Expressive Rehearsal:

This is worse than Night's Whisper since land, Mox, this is really bad in comparison - since you don't draw 2 cards, just 1 and you'll only be able to play your 2nd draw this turn if it's a 0 mana card. If you're playing a bunch of Baubles and stuff like that then maybe, but even then the mana cost seems prohibitive.

Last time I looked there were a good amount of blue red decks that run a bunch of 0 mana artifacts, and you can also draw them instead and use them to cast the one mana spell you exiled or whatever.

I don't think this needs to go off turn one to be good though, I think that is a lousy metric. as with all cards that provide net positive draw it is a great topdeck later game when hands are drained, and is more likely to get you to what you need than nights whisper/sign in blood (And no life loss).

It's not about "going off". As a turn 1 play this IS worse than Whisper. That's just a fact.
Now, you need a very proactive deck to abuse this in later stages of the game. That's doable but the double colored mana seems punishing to abuse it.

It's not about "going off". As a turn 1 play this IS worse than Whisper. That's just a fact.
Now, you need a very proactive deck to abuse this in later stages of the game. That's doable but the double colored mana seems punishing to abuse it.

Why does it matter if another card in different colors is better in a specific circumstance. Ancestral on the play is also better. The card has it's own niche and usecase and should be evaluated as such. When you play nights whisper, generally a turn 1 play is something you want it for. If you include this in your deck I don't think that is the need at all.

And double color hurts, but looking at some of the other double colorless we have seen in the past few months be playable I think it is not unreasonable to think this is doable.

@protoaddict said in [STX] Expressive Rehearsal:

alt text

Expressive Rehearsal UR
Sorcery (U)
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put one of them in your hand, one at the bottom of your library, then exile the rest. Until end of turn, you may play the exiled card.

This seems really solid. I would not compare it to a 1 mana cantrip so much as I think I would compare it to something like DDT.

Best case scenario is it is a 2 mana "draw 2" and you put your blightsteel to the bottom of the deck, and that is honestly pretty good. There have been some other reduced cost draw 2's in the past few years that have been pretty good but the conditions on them have not been great for vintage (flying creature, deal direct damage, etc) and DDT is a proven staple but has a built in limiter and choke point.

I think this could be viable in decks that are already playing Izzet colors. Could be just a fun of copy, but it does a lot of good stuff.

I don’t know what this card has to do with pesticides, but a two color sorcery is not the next Dig Through Time.

last edited by Sock Puppet

@protoaddict said in [STX] Expressive Rehearsal:

Why does it matter if another card in different colors is better in a specific circumstance. Ancestral on the play is also better. The card has it's own niche and usecase and should be evaluated as such. When you play nights whisper, generally a turn 1 play is something you want it for. If you include this in your deck I don't think that is the need at all.

What deck do you see this playing in then? Because I don't think any "comboish" deck wants this (too low impact for 2 dedicated mana), and I don't think any xerox does either (too expensive for what it does).

And double color hurts, but looking at some of the other double colorless we have seen in the past few months be playable I think it is not unreasonable to think this is doable.

You can't evaluate cards by casting cost simply. All double mana cards I can think of that are played in Vintage now are pretty unique, so I don't think this works that way.
The thing is that you NEED a proactive card in your top 3 or this is useless. Maybe if it were an instant you could even dig for permission with it and make it more versatile, I guess. So what are the chances this fizzles and you just paid 2 for a bad Omen (that's an honest question)?

Also, one important thing: I haven't seen the Oracle text in this card yet. The way it's translated says "you can PLAY the exiled card". If by any chance this was mistranslated and it says CAST, then it's REALLY bad.

Also, one important thing: I haven't seen the Oracle text in this card yet. The way it's translated says "you can PLAY the exiled card". If by any chance this was mistranslated and it says CAST, then it's REALLY bad.

I checked the card image gallery, where wotc puts things up in english after spoilers. it's play.
0_1617232834754_6eb3a213-6230-4502-aa1e-dfafe96023c6-image.png

Views