Report for weekly MTGO Vintage Swiss PRE

• Hello, my name is Jenya, I'm a magic player from Russia. My English is somewhat mediocre, so I apologize in advance for all weird mistakes in my posts. It's a report for the MTGO Vintage Player-run Event (sponsored by Cardhoarder, hosted by No_Outs). It's really great event, it's free to enter and even have some small prizes for top performers. It's a lot of fun to play and there’s really friendly environment. Someone may complain that no entry fee means less competition because of budget decks. But in fact, you're rarely paired against more than one budget deck every event. Also there are a lot of good players participate time by time, like recent P9 challenge top-eighter BlackLotusT1, SeaAndRhytm, wappla, No_Outs the host himself and other strong players, so there's a lot of competition. No entry fee also makes it a great place to test new techs. The event held twice a week and have a seasonal structure with season finals and the Grand finale at the end of the year with some really sweet prizes (Black Lotus included). You can find more information here.
    http://themanadrain.com/topic/55/4-26-magic-online-vintage-mtgo-swiss-sponsored-by-cardhoarder
    Now about the last event I played. I was on Brian Kelly's Sylvan Mentor. I’ve made some minor changes with last trends in mind (rise of Eldrazi and other Cavern of Souls decks online). I've included balance and 2nd sword maindeck and added some Canonist to the side to fight storm.
    4 Monastery Mentor
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Force of Will
    4 Gush
    4 Mental Misstep
    2 Dack Fayden
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Balance
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Ponder
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Time Walk
    1 Treasure Cruise
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Misty Rainforest

SIDEBOARD (15 Cards)
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Nature's Claim
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Dragonlord Dromoka
    1 Containment Priest

1st round. The_Unseen with white Eldrazi.
    G1 I've kept 1 lander with a mox, but faced thorn+thalia, which locked me out of game. G2 I've stared at hand of 4 lands, 2 nature's claims and a force. I've clicked to mull and suddenly realized, that i've sided in only one claim, and 2nd green card was sylvan library, so mulliganing it was probably a mistake. But I've got even better hand this time with couple of lands, some draws spells and balance. I quickly dropped a library, balanced away thalia, smasher and 2 lands, then slowly outdrawed my opponend. G3 I've managed to drop library once again, 1for1 my opponent, then cast jace and +2 him for the win.

2nd round. Mikedevoe with RUG Titi
    G1 I've managed to set up Gush+balance with force backup, leaving opponent with no board against my moxes, then cast Dack and digged for all I need. G2 my mentors faced a Thing and Sulfur Elemental. I've managed to resolve a Dack, but it not lasted long.
    G3 I've cast turn 3 Dromoka off a lotus, then fired counterproof gush and ancestral. Mike had some Things on his side, but I've dropped canonist to slow it down, then found some swords and took over.

3rd round. Pkengen25 with UR Titi
    G1
    G2 I kept a risky hand on the draw. I had sword, sylvan library, snapcaster, misstep, force, gush and a blue mox as the only mana source. My plan was to stop early pressure with counters, eventually draw a land and drop a library. But 2nd mana source came too late. My opponent forced some scab-clan berserker through and dropped me to 10. I've found a land and balanced berserker away. I'm almost stabilized with library in play, but he dropped a Thing with 3 cards in hand and cast a probe. I've cast a probe of my own to see a lotus and 2 sudden shocks. He shocked me, untapped, shocked again, cast Gush and attacked for the win.
    G3 I've kept ponder, force, 3 misstep, 2 lands hand and my opponent mulled to 5(unluckily!). I've thrown my missteps left and right, forced a cruise, and took advantage of being on +2 cards from mulls. He cast a Thing, but I've already have a canonist and a mentor on board.
    At the end of the day I was really happy with balance maindeck, it was really one of the best cards in 75. Canonists was helpful against Titi, it's cool because it adds value to have it in sb vs storm. 2nd sword main-deck also was really helpful and I wish there was a 4th in the board. Maybe it's worth to cut a grudge for it. I'm still not 100% on it. 1 grudge is cutable but maybe there's something more useful than 4th sword.
    Hope you enjoy my report. It would be good to see you in future Vintage Swiss events.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.