Cards/Decks/Strategies against White Eldrazi

@moorebrother1 I play four basics: three in the maindeck and one in the sideboard. Land destruction doesn't feel too bad.

Bolt and Swords are good, but ideally you'd want three or four total in your 75. Maybe add two or three to that number considering Snapcaster flashback. I think (though my opinions may change) single use removal doesn't create enough advantage to warrant adding more than three or four because of the many two-for-ones in White Eldrazi. Goblin Cratermaker can be very good when it works, but you run into similar problems as with other removal spells. You have a lot less removal than they have creatures, and each of their creatures is designed to prey on your playstyle, while your removal, usually, only mitigates the disadvantage created by these creatures.

Essentially, the problem is that the sweet spot for the number of targeted creature removal in xerox decks is, in my opinion, around three or four, while White Eldrazi has around 26-27 creatures maindeck. Many of these creatures flat out stop your game plan, and you can't stop them from being cast when they're using Cavern. Some of your best cards will be exiled from your hand (!) by TKS as fast as T1 (i.e. too bad if you kept your Mentor hand). Some of your cards will, inevitably, be discarded when targeting Reality Smasher, thanks to its 5/5 body. Your fetchlands will come into play tapped and probably be wastelanded.

The matchup as it is feels too dependent on winning the coin flip. I'm wondering if there are other obscure cards that haven't been tried that could mitigate this.

last edited by Guest

@juice-mane Not sure if it suits your configuration, but if you're running white maybe give Porphory Nodes a try? Obviously it won't be so good if you're also flooding the board with creatures, but if you can win with a more creature-less approach, that might help some.

@hrishi Porphyry Nodes has great potential. Have you tried them yourself? If so, how useful have they been?

@juice-mane said in Cards/Decks/Strategies against White Eldrazi:

@hrishi Porphyry Nodes has great potential. Have you tried them yourself? If so, how useful have they been?

I've tried them before, but not in a Xerox-style deck. They worked fine for that type of deck, but I'm not sure how well it would translate over. That's why I'm not entirely sure how well it would work for you!

@juice-mane When playing Xerox, you have to pick your lane against any deck and against the Eldrazi it is very hard to be a true control deck. You cannot out Aggro them without an early Mentor so you need to go more broken and combo. I know this is not a great answer but most Xerox players do not view this deck as a bad match up.

This deck is not easy to beat but Survival and Dredge are much harder to beat. This deck has no way to use the graveyard, no search and plays are a pure tempo deck. Thought-knot and Smasher make life hard but not any harder than a Ravager with Ballista. Learning this match may mean just looking for the fastest way to win instead of looking for a way to control the board.

Personally, I have been on either Blue Moon or RUG with with 4 Snapcasters and 3 Bolts. I play 2 Niv-Mizzet and when I played against the deck I either push a Blood Moon and race out a Niv-Mizzet either will just win me the game.

last edited by moorebrother1

@moorebrother1 I appreciate your insight. Just racing them isn't a bad option. I don't agree with you that Dredge and Survival are more difficult to beat. Xerox feels pretty evenly matched against Survival (excepting the 'nut' hands), and Dredge is not bad postboard.

I've been under the impression that Xerox and other Blue players were relieved they aren't seeing White Eldrazi as much as they used to. You come across such comments pretty often whenever White Eldrazi is discussed. Fittingly for a deck designed to prey on Xerox decks, think it's the single worst matchup in the meta for Xerox. Shops is a very strong deck, but it is very weak to certain sideboard cards, unlike Eldrazi. Glowrider and Thalia stick way harder than artifact sphere effects.

Blood Moon could easily be fit into a Xerox sideboard. Blood Moon + Null Rod / Ancient Grudge would win many games.

last edited by Guest

@juice-mane I tried it back-when. It was baaaayyyd. Way to slow and if they are running Smasher, which they are. It's way way way too slow. Instead, if you are Xerox, you want a bunch of swords and a bunch of snapcasters. If you really want to go deep then Fire/Ice can be good to try to value town them on a Thalia + Wingmare or a Revoker. Baby Jace is decent too. Basically you just stay alive and grind out a card advantage with draw spells + graveyard value (Snapcaster/JVP). I've found that its about reaching critical mass on cheap removal spells, since they really can't draw cards. If you run them out of their hand and you are alive, then you likely just win.

@topical_island Spot on. The first two turns are rough. I guess with the new cards running around you just can't play the refined control way without getting bashed in the face with tentacles a few times.

As a White Eldrazi player, I’ve struggled to beat token producers. If you aren’t playing Pyromancer, a few of them could help- they really gum up the board, which buys you time to stabilize.

@stuart Yeah, that's a great point. Honestly the "easiest" way is to just drop an early mentor and own the board with tokens. I don't run a lot of pyromancer, but I presume that would be similar? Is pyromancer a SB card against white eldrazi? Strikes me as a slightly odd choice, but could be a thing.

Views