White Eldrazi

• @Smmenen
    On weekends Steve they only publish one of the events a day.

• TMD Supporter

@Montolio Yeah, this was a weekday event (a Thursday, in fact). It just goes to show that not every daily that fires (even if it's the only 1 that day) is reported.

• @Smmenen Oh that is bizarre.

• @Smmenen hey Steve. That same daily I actually went 4-0 (I think we played round 1)with a list very similar to LSVs Mentor list except I changed the sb -1 Cage, +1 Pyroblast, it was the Thursday before the P9. I messaged an ORC about the community always collecting data for vintage since vintage is in the radar for wotc with the next B&R. They told me they cannot reveal information on why dailies do not post. I wish I knew what that meant, but in reality in seems like an answer I expected to get. The ORC told me to send in a message so I did, with the same response in the email.
    I did stress that we need as much data as possible since another time I went 3-1 a daily didn't post on a weekday but I thought maybe it didn't post due to a glitch. But it seems with that answers there may be more to it...

• TMD Supporter

@i_b_TRUE said in White Eldrazi:

@Smmenen hey Steve. That same daily I actually went 4-0 (I think we played round 1)

You should watch the video ;) We played in round 4. We played in Round 1 of the very next tournament I played in, the P9 Challenge.

• @Smmenen You're right, I got the tournaments and rounds mixed up and I just noticed the link to the videos. So I will check them out. But it is odd that they cannot " reveal " the reason why events don't post.

• I played White Eldrazi in the Power 9 today for the first time figuring I would dodge artifact removal and Mentor hate and prey on slower blue decks, especially Oath. I lost the mirror, beat two Oath decks, lost to Shops, beat Storm, and lost to Dredge. I got more unlucky than not in my losses, and more lucky than I should have in my Storm win.

I kind of hated the play experience as most games I was either crushing or getting crushed with few relevant decisions.

My only interesting decision was match 1, game 1, hand 1 on the play. I drew a 7 of Cavern, Lotus, Thorn, TKS, Revoker, Priest, and Thalia. I'm not sure keeping is correct. Thoughts? I also played the Lotus through an obvious F6. That led to me believe no Force of Will, but I wasn't willing to put him on non-blue as a possible double-bluff (right/wrong?), so I played Caverns naming Human, then Thorn and Thalia over the TKS. I even Revokered a t.2 Mox Ruby, instead of Wastelanding (my draw) an Ancient Tomb - right/wrong? I wanted mana to cast my TKS perhaps next turn. Well, I got run over pretty fast by Priest/Displacer combo, and lost game 3 to a turn-1 Smasher. Both Thalia and Thorn ended up being pretty useless so I definitely screwed up in results-based analysis, but of course I'd prefer logic. Was overthinking the F6 clue dumb? Any obvious problems with the deck choice? Thoughts appreciated.

• No responses? @Brass-Man said he loves responding to the hypos (I offered 3-4 there!).

• Your hand didn't really line up with what you want in the mirror. Thalia and Thorn are almost blanks. Your land is not ideal plus you only had 1 land in your opening 7. So just looking at that hand in retrospect, if you knew your opponent was on the mirror would you have mulliganed? Yes.

Did you consider naming Eldrazi Displacer with your Revoker? Not knowing the exact situation, naming a Mox may have been too slow not having enough mana on your side to land your larger threats.

In reference to your F6 comment, if your opponent let Lotus resolve then why not just play TKS still with Cavern naming Human? TKS will resolve and then you are 1 of your 21 other mana sources from a follow-up turn 2 Thalia or Thorn.

• TMD Supporter

I agree with @ssasala. After resolving Lotus, I would have played Cavern on Human followed by TKS. You're fairly likely to draw the single mana source you need to play one of your many 2-drops on turn two, and this is probably the only way to get your TKS on the board.

• Thinking about sleeving this up. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your insights, it's an extremely illuminating read.

Has anyone been working on developing this deck in the post-restriction metagame? Only list to make top 32 in the Vintage Challenge the past two weeks was hitogoroshi80's 9th place list from August 5th:

MD:
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    1 Karakas
    5 Plains
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Wasteland

SB
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Kataki, War's Wage
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Null Rod
    1 Swords to Plowshares

Given the explosion of Shops - and some Shops lists embracing the Eldrazi Menace (TKS and Smasher) for additional disruption and damage, is Thalia 2.0 now a must-include in the main deck?

• TMD Supporter

@necrogeist The big thing that worries me about Thalia 2.0 is that it exacerbates the fundamental problem of White Eldrazi: consistency.

• @necrogeist said in White Eldrazi:

Thinking about sleeving this up. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your insights, it's an extremely illuminating read.

Has anyone been working on developing this deck in the post-restriction metagame? Only list to make top 32 in the Vintage Challenge the past two weeks was hitogoroshi80's 9th place list from August 5th:

MD:
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    1 Karakas
    5 Plains
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Wasteland

SB
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Kataki, War's Wage
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Null Rod
    1 Swords to Plowshares

Given the explosion of Shops - and some Shops lists embracing the Eldrazi Menace (TKS and Smasher) for additional disruption and damage, is Thalia 2.0 now a must-include in the main deck?

I ran this list almost exactly (-1 plains, +1 mana crypt, -1 thalia, guardian +1 null rod due to what was expected to be a very heavy shops meta). I got beat by shops twice, once 2-1 in 3 very close games and once 2-0 in complete blow outs. In all 4 losses wurmcoil engine dropped and ended the game.

• Echoing cutlex's "consistency" motif, I'd strongly recommend 2-3 Palace Jailer.

I'm also not convinced the taxing elements (Thalia, Big Thalia, Thorn, Revoker, Wasteland) in Eldrazi are good enough. Too much can go wrong on your opponent's first turn (or second, if you're on the draw), or their deck may be designed to ignore it, or they can draw out of it if you're too slow, or they can remove enough elements as to make the plan too ineffectual.

Sometimes it'll come together, sometimes it won't. Be prepared for a frequent 50% result. I'd bank more on the all-or-nothing cards like Spirit of the Labyrinth or Containment Priest or Stony Silence and cross my fingers. If I really wanted to attack the metagame on the taxing angle, I'd just roll the dice with Shops and hope to get favorable draws in the mirror.

• How do you reliably cast Jailer with only 7 permanent non-Caverns white sources?

Wurmcoil is trouble though... Maybe something like Cast Out is better.

• TMD Supporter

If i were worried about wurmcoil i would be looking toward 4 displacer and 3+ Containment Priest post board along side some good removal spells (swords especially). Eldrazi displacer is very good against wurmcoil, and is already an awesome card in the deck. Palace Jailer to me is a max 2 of sidebord card, but is VERY hard to cast. It does amount to a ton of value, when it gets into play, but I would rather have the more consistent stuff.

• Thorn, Revoker, and Tomb are all regularly thrown around as potential restrictions to weaken Shops. I'm currently buying into White Eldrazi, and wondering how a restriction of any of those would impact this deck. Do you guys think we can just make quick swaps (e.g. Tomb becomes City), or would the deck have to noticeably recalibrate?

• @stuart I feel like I'm hearing more discussion of Sphere than Thorn as anti-Shops restrictions, for the exact reason that those restrictions would also hit non-Shops decks* hard.

• @necrogeist I also feel like Sphere's getting some buzz, but mostly just by people who are mindfully trying to find a restriction that only hits Shops. Those who don't seem to care about collateral damage mention Thorn, Tomb, etc. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens later this month.

• There is a solid card to hit that only affects shops...Mishra's Workshop. The card is dark ritual on a stick. It is on a mana-ramp power level comparable to black lotus (and it's reusable!). As a 1-of with tombs and cities and solomoxcrypt and maybe manavault, shops still has reasonable (but not degenerate) ramp. There's also metalworker to supplement the loss of 3 workshops in a deck.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.