White Eldrazi

• @fsecco Excellent point. And with that, I think I'll just add another temple. :)

• I played White Eldrazi at a 9-man event yesterday. Went 2-2, beating Landstill and Dredge, and losing to Mentor and Moon Stompy.

I'm learning that White Eldrazi absolutely follows the typical hatebears trajectory: it's capable of insane starts, but if your opponent answers what you're doing, you really struggle to catch back up. (For example, in game 3 against Mentor I lead with turn 1 THC, turn 2 Smasher. I got my opponent down to 4, but then he was able to Time Walk, Abrade the Thalia, and Plow the Smasher. From there he beat me down with double Snapcaster and Mana Crypt flips, and I could never draw/resolve anything to bail me out.)

With that in mind, I think I've gotta add Balance to the board, but I'm wondering if anyone has other suggestions for cards that can catch you back up from unfavorable positions? Palace Jailer comes to mind, though I'd prefer to avoid WW if I can.

• TMD Supporter

Could Staff of Domination help by tapping a creature or with card draw, or is it too expensive?

• @ydl I like where your head is at, but Staff seems pretty slow (especially factoring in all the Thorn effects in this deck).

It doesn't draw cards, but maybe Master Decoy?!

. . . Nah, that's dumb. I dunno, I'll keep stewing.

• It seems like there's been a recent trend towards slimming down this deck's manabase; if you look at the past 4 or 5 Eldrazi entries on MTGTop 8, everyone's seemingly cutting a few Wasteland effects for more creatures. I'd been assuming the 23-land configuration (i.e. maxed out on both mana and Wastelands) was set in stone, but seemingly that's not the case. Thoughts?

• As a follow up to my last post, I went 5-0 at our recent Vintage event on White Eldrazi, playing the following manabase:

5 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Strip
    3 Wasteland
    4 Tomb
    4 Temple
    4 Cavern

So I feel like trimming a Wasteland is fine. I'm not sold on the idea of cutting any white mana (i.e. how Montolio moved the Karakas to the board), especially if you're gonna strain your Caverns by including Wingmare.

edit: clarifying that I play good cards.

• @stuart said in White Eldrazi:

As a follow up to my last post, I went 5-0 at our recent Vintage event on White Eldrazi, playing the following manabase:

5 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Strip
    3 Waste
    4 Tomb
    4 Temple
    4 Cavern

So I feel like trimming a Wasteland is fine. I'm not sold on the idea of cutting any white mana (i.e. how Montolio moved the Karakas to the board), especially if you're gonna strain your Caverns by including Wingmare.

Did you use 3x Wastes or 3x Wasteland?

• @chronatog Whoops. 3 Wasteland. 3 Wastes is a bad idea.

• @stuart said in White Eldrazi:

@chronatog Whoops. 3 Wasteland. 3 Wastes is a bad idea.

I see. On a separate note, one Wastes can be useful in some metagames, but in general it is more a puzzle-your-opponent-with-the-content-of-your-deck card :).

• I_B_True just 5-0’d with this list, which is 4 cards off from the list I 5-0’d with last weekend.

Cheers to him, and I like his changes. In the main he’s turned 1 Revoker into a Metamorph, which somehow I’ve never considered. In the board he’s turned 1 Kataki, 1 Cage, and 1 Plow into 1 Crypt, 1 RIP, and 1 Trinisphere.

• @stuart I really like metamorph addition! Going to have to try that out.

• @bscheidemann I used to run metamorph here and there, was great as another way of dealing with robots and oath critters, or just to make another hasty fat man for a finisher. Never cut revoker though.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.