White Eldrazi

• If i wanted to switch over from shops, would you recommend white eldrazi or white trash? I think white eldrazi has put up more results but there’s a version of white trash I’ve seen floating around that I really like.

Deck: Vintage White Trash.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:28
    3 Containment Priest
    3 Leonin Relic-Warder
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Sanctum Prelate
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Palace Jailer

Artifacts:9
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Null Rod

Enchantments:2
    2 Stony Silence

Lands:21
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Flagstones of Trokair
    2 Karakas
    7 Plains
    1 Strip Mine
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:15
    1 Aegis of the Gods
    2 Kataki, War's Wage
    1 Gisela, the Broken Blade
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Any thoughts? I know TKS is insane but I’ve always felt like palace jailer is also quite strong.

• TMD Supporter

@naixin If you're picking one, I think White Eldrazi would give you substantially better odds of winning matches than the deck you posted. It's more explosive and the overall card quality is higher. I would think there would be a lot of games with that white deck where you draw the wrong hate creature at the wrong time and just get run over.

• Ok, I'll walk right into criticism. I've always loved Eldrazi since it burst onto the scene, though I've never really gotten it to work for me in terms of producing results. Recently, I've been halfheartedly fiddling around with splashing another color via the use of Ash Barrens. I've tried splashing green for Ramunap + Knight of the Reliquary. I tried red for things that don't make sense in this meta anymore. When Thorn got restricted I kinda gave up on the deck, but with the printing of Damping Sphere, it has me wondering again. What are anyone's thoughts on Ashbarrens White Eldrazi with a splash, including but not limited to saying that it's a moronic idea?

• @topical_island I have a knight list that is absolutely nutter butters. I'll PM it to you if you'd like.

• @stormanimagus Please do sir.

• @revengeanceful said in White Eldrazi:

@naixin If you're picking one, I think White Eldrazi would give you substantially better odds of winning matches than the deck you posted. It's more explosive and the overall card quality is higher. I would think there would be a lot of games with that white deck where you draw the wrong hate creature at the wrong time and just get run over.

Fair enough. Would you have a white eldrazi list you recommend I start with?

• @naixin said in White Eldrazi:

If i wanted to switch over from shops, would you recommend white eldrazi or white trash? I think white eldrazi has put up more results but there’s a version of white trash I’ve seen floating around that I really like.

Deck: Vintage White Trash.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:28
    3 Containment Priest
    3 Leonin Relic-Warder
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Sanctum Prelate
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Palace Jailer

Artifacts:9
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Null Rod

Enchantments:2
    2 Stony Silence

Lands:21
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Flagstones of Trokair
    2 Karakas
    7 Plains
    1 Strip Mine
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:15
    1 Aegis of the Gods
    2 Kataki, War's Wage
    1 Gisela, the Broken Blade
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Any thoughts? I know TKS is insane but I’ve always felt like palace jailer is also quite strong.

This is my list (I think I send it to you on Cockatrice), and obviously I really like it 😉 I wrote a primer on it a while ago.

I initially designed it to beat Mentor (when it was unrestricted) and Shops (when Thorn was unrestricted). The Shops matchup has gotten worse since that deck got more aggressive because of the Thorn restriction.

The thing I like the most about it is that it's much better at coming from behind than White Eldrazi and it creates harder locks (because of Spirit of the Labyrinth and Sanctum Prelate), but I agree that the more explosive nature of Eldrazi lists gives that deck some easier wins.

I haven't been playing for quite some time now and I don't really know what has happened to the metagame lately, but I wouldn't have any hesitation picking up that list again. Perhaps it needs some adjustments though. I think the spots you want to look at first are the Relic-Warders and the Sanctum Prelates - and the sideboard of course.

• @topical_island said in White Eldrazi:

Ok, I'll walk right into criticism. I've always loved Eldrazi since it burst onto the scene, though I've never really gotten it to work for me in terms of producing results. Recently, I've been halfheartedly fiddling around with splashing another color via the use of Ash Barrens. I've tried splashing green for Ramunap + Knight of the Reliquary. I tried red for things that don't make sense in this meta anymore. When Thorn got restricted I kinda gave up on the deck, but with the printing of Damping Sphere, it has me wondering again. What are anyone's thoughts on Ashbarrens White Eldrazi with a splash, including but not limited to saying that it's a moronic idea?

If you wanted to splash for a second color, I think I would look towards red. Mainly because of Meltdown but Flametongue Kavu is intriguing to me as well.

• @griselbrother it was you 🙂 Thank you for the response. I've been jamming some games with your list recently. I've found that Relic Warder is really good against Shops where as Spirit isn't as good against the blue decks as warder is against shops. I think that it's because Thalia already taxes them so hard. Maybe i've been playing the deck wrong though. Anyways, I think I would start by making Relic Warder a 4-of and start shaving on some Spirit of the Labys.

• Eldrazi Obligator seems fun in Pink Eldrazi. At least, it’ll teach people for Tinkering into Blightsteel.

@griselbrother it was you 🙂 Thank you for the response. I've been jamming some games with your list recently. I've found that Relic Warder is really good against Shops where as Spirit isn't as good against the blue decks as warder is against shops. I think that it's because Thalia already taxes them so hard. Maybe i've been playing the deck wrong though. Anyways, I think I would start by making Relic Warder a 4-of and start shaving on some Spirit of the Labys.

Interestingly, I've had the exact opposite experience with Spirit. It's a card I always want to see against blue decks. Under which circumstances has it been underperforming for you?

I'm glad you like the Relic-Warders. It was the latest addition I made to the deck. It was initially added to improve the Shops matchup of course, but it's just as much a catch-all card to deal with cards that can otherwise be troublesome: Oath, Tinker, Moat, Time Vault etc., and of course it improves the mana denial plan as well.

Regarding Prelate that's a card I have a love/hate relationship with. I'm definitely a bigger fan of that card than most Hatebear players, but I aknowledge its weaknesses. Sometimes it's just stuck in hand being too slow and you wish it was something else. But when it's good, it's really, really good and can close out games or even single-handedly win you games. I know most compare it to Chalice, but to me it's more like a Meddling Mage on steroids.

• @griselbrother I guess my main issue is I have a problem with spirit sticking. It always gets countered and If I use caverns, it always gets abraded or STPed. I think I just need to re-evaluate my sequencing and use something like Thalia 2.0 or another critter as bait more. I run the odd choice of wanting to land spirit as early as I can to shut down card draw but save it for when they use removal for other stuff.

@griselbrother I guess my main issue is I have a problem with spirit sticking. It always gets countered and If I use caverns, it always gets abraded or STPed. I think I just need to re-evaluate my sequencing and use something like Thalia 2.0 or another critter as bait more. I run the odd choice of wanting to land spirit as early as I can to shut down card draw but save it for when they use removal for other stuff.

I think that's just a testiment of the strenght of Spirit more than anything else. You can't do much about removal other than consider your sequencing and play Mental Misstep.

Currently I'm working on a W/r list basedon on on the mono white list I created. Basically it's just an attempt to improve the Shops matchup, primarily because of By Force.

It also doesn't run Null Rod/Stony Silence at the moment.

• UW Eldrazi came in 26th at EW Europe. Blue splash for Ancestral and Time Walk is fun.

• @stuart Nah that splash is all about Energy Flux

• @wappla Wow I missed that. You're not kidding - that's a great addition.

• I’ll write a detailed SCGCon report this week, but went 9-4 in the Power 9 Series and finished 13th out of 124. Super happy with the weekend. Wins and losses were:

Wins

• Stax: 2-0, 2-0
    • Paradoxical Oath: 2-1, 2-0
    • Jeskai Xerox: 2-0
    • Dredge: 2-1, 2-1
    • Oath: 2-1
    • BUG: 2-0

Losses

• Paradoxical Karn: 0-2
    • Colorless Eldrazi: 1-2
    • Ravager Shops: 0-2
    • BR Daretti: 1-2

(Astute readers will notice how little Shops I ran into.)

• @stuart solid results and great job!

I noticed your MB was 1 Card off from the list I got two 5-0 finishes with (only 1 posted). Looks like the difference was the +1 Revoker / -1 Metamorph

I recently started playing W Eldrazi in leagues again with the rise of PO, U Control and Xerox decks I was facing consistently which W Eldrazi is heavily favored imo. I’m from NJ so I normally will not bring W Eldrazi to any local tournaments with the amount of Shops players. Same for Challenges, pending on what I gauge from the players on Shops, I’ll stay away from W Eldrazi.

I think the two worst matchups for W Eldrazi are Shops and Colorless Eldrazi. However, in one of my 5-0 leagues I beat Shops 3 times and each game came down to sequencing and correct attacks.

Also, Glowrider has been and is the right choice to go along with, Thalia 1.0.

• Cheers @i_b_TRUE! Funny you mention the similar lists; here's a quote from me back in January:

@stuart said in White Eldrazi:

I_B_True just 5-0’d with this list, which is 4 cards off from the list I 5-0’d with last weekend.

Cheers to him, and I like his changes. In the main he’s turned 1 Revoker into a Metamorph, which somehow I’ve never considered. In the board he’s turned 1 Kataki, 1 Cage, and 1 Plow into 1 Crypt, 1 RIP, and 1 Trinisphere.

Seems like we were developing similar lists in tandem! Obviously YMMV and I don't mean to sound pompous, but I think you and I have basically arrived at the correct 60. +1 Metamorph, -1 Revoker is a totally fine switch; obviously great for your Oath matchup, and getting to copy an extra Glowrider or Eldrazi can be killer. I stuck with Revoker primarily for its castability, but was also keeping it for Shops (Ballista) and PO (Top and Time Vault).

Agreed 100% on Glowrider. The card is just insane against Blue decks; getting 3 extra Thorn effects is one of the more compelling reasons to play this deck instead of Shops. Wingmare would be an excellent addition to the deck, but our manabase is trash and can't accommodate it. Plus, Glowrider is old frame!

Likewise agree that if you're in a Shops-heavy environment, this is not the deck to play. This weekend, I was on 12 pieces of Shops hate in my board and still lost the match. But assuming you can dodge that matchup, I agree that the deck is well-positioned against almost everything else in the format.

WAF/WHF