UW Eldrazi came in 26th at EW Europe. Blue splash for Ancestral and Time Walk is fun.
wappla last edited by
@stuart Nah that splash is all about Energy Flux
@wappla Wow I missed that. You're not kidding - that's a great addition.
I’ll write a detailed SCGCon report this week, but went 9-4 in the Power 9 Series and finished 13th out of 124. Super happy with the weekend. Wins and losses were:
- Stax: 2-0, 2-0
- Paradoxical Oath: 2-1, 2-0
- Jeskai Xerox: 2-0
- Dredge: 2-1, 2-1
- Oath: 2-1
- BUG: 2-0
- Paradoxical Karn: 0-2
- Colorless Eldrazi: 1-2
- Ravager Shops: 0-2
- BR Daretti: 1-2
(Astute readers will notice how little Shops I ran into.)
i_b_TRUE last edited by
@stuart solid results and great job!
I noticed your MB was 1 Card off from the list I got two 5-0 finishes with (only 1 posted). Looks like the difference was the +1 Revoker / -1 Metamorph
I recently started playing W Eldrazi in leagues again with the rise of PO, U Control and Xerox decks I was facing consistently which W Eldrazi is heavily favored imo. I’m from NJ so I normally will not bring W Eldrazi to any local tournaments with the amount of Shops players. Same for Challenges, pending on what I gauge from the players on Shops, I’ll stay away from W Eldrazi.
I think the two worst matchups for W Eldrazi are Shops and Colorless Eldrazi. However, in one of my 5-0 leagues I beat Shops 3 times and each game came down to sequencing and correct attacks.
Also, Glowrider has been and is the right choice to go along with, Thalia 1.0.
Cheers @i_b_TRUE! Funny you mention the similar lists; here's a quote from me back in January:
Cheers to him, and I like his changes. In the main he’s turned 1 Revoker into a Metamorph, which somehow I’ve never considered. In the board he’s turned 1 Kataki, 1 Cage, and 1 Plow into 1 Crypt, 1 RIP, and 1 Trinisphere.
Seems like we were developing similar lists in tandem! Obviously YMMV and I don't mean to sound pompous, but I think you and I have basically arrived at the correct 60. +1 Metamorph, -1 Revoker is a totally fine switch; obviously great for your Oath matchup, and getting to copy an extra Glowrider or Eldrazi can be killer. I stuck with Revoker primarily for its castability, but was also keeping it for Shops (Ballista) and PO (Top and Time Vault).
Agreed 100% on Glowrider. The card is just insane against Blue decks; getting 3 extra Thorn effects is one of the more compelling reasons to play this deck instead of Shops. Wingmare would be an excellent addition to the deck, but our manabase is trash and can't accommodate it. Plus, Glowrider is old frame!
Likewise agree that if you're in a Shops-heavy environment, this is not the deck to play. This weekend, I was on 12 pieces of Shops hate in my board and still lost the match. But assuming you can dodge that matchup, I agree that the deck is well-positioned against almost everything else in the format.
As promised, got a report on SCGCon done.
i_b_TRUE last edited by
@stuart Agreed with you on all accounts! Again, great finish at SCG Con!
Two White Eldrazis top 8'd in the most recent MTGO Challenge:
My main takeaway is multiple Spirit of the Labyrinth in both maindecks. Makes sense in a world of Paradoxical.
A few more recent Eldrazi finishes:
- GodOfSlaughter's list is similar to the ones I posted a few weeks ago: we're seeing Spirit of the Labyrinth and Misstep, replacing some number of Smashers. Interestingly it's also running Lodestone, which has been kinda out of vogue.
- Espiatrianero's list is more similar to the lists @i_b_TRUE and I have had some luck with.
On a different note, what do you guys think of the powered Colorless lists? I keep coming back to Henrik Storm's EU Vintage Champs list as something I'd like to mess around with.
Fascinating list just won Catalan Vintage - much more prisony, with MD Stonies and Spheres. I’d love to try this out - seems great if you’re trying to crush PO.
John Cox last edited by
@Stuart I hope that the list you mention puts out a tournament report or talks about it somewhere. I really like that list.
gRR last edited by
Hey there folks,
I'm Roger, the winner of the Catalan Vintage Leage with White Eldrazi. I'll try to write some thoughts here in the next few days; I don't think I'll write a report, as I didn't take many notes. Just a couple of fast comments by now: Please forget about those SB Holy Lights, they make absolutely no sense (they should be replaced by some targeted removal, probably Swords to Plowshares). Other than that, I felt very comfortable with the decklist as I played it, I've played similar versions before Thorn got the axe last year and I feel very satisfied with it.
Feel free to ask any question in the meantime!
@grr Congrats on the win. I really liked playing White Eldrazi before the Thorn restriction. I'm looking forward to trying out your list.
Seems like you have a lot of tools against PO and blue decks in general. I'm wondering:
- If you've played against Ravager Shops and what you think of that matchup.
- Did you miss the maindeck Containment Priests? The last list I played had trimmed those to two and my feeling has been that we either want to stay at 3-4 (both for dredge/oath and to maximize the combo with Displacer) or cut them completely as without Displacer it just doesn't pull its weight vs. normal matchups.
- Did you have any problems with the white source count, especially for the Stony Silences? I've played Null Rods in the past but maybe that's wrong now with more Hurkyl's in the format.
- Did big Thalia pull its weight?
- I count 31 mana sources, which is 1-2 more than I'd expect. Do you think this is the right number? How do you feel about 2 Horizon Canopies?
Ten-Ten last edited by
@grr Holy light seems good in a Empty the warrens or Pyromancer heavy meta. Any one-sided board wipe is worth considering in Eldrazi decks of all variations.
gRR last edited by gRR
@DrStreetmention : Thanks!
- I've played against a peculiar Ravager MUD version (with Traxos, Voltaic Servants, Forgemasters and Time Vault!) in Top 4 and I won easily, but that was because he was manascrewed in both games. I feel that we should be slightly favored anyway; maindeck Stony Silences and Big Thalia makes life difficult for them, and Displacer is a nightmare for his +1/+1 creatures (Ravager, Walker, Ballista and even Steel Overseer) even without maindeck Priests. I replaced Spheres, Thorn, Chalice and 1x Thalia GoT for 3 Kataki and 3 Containment Priest, but didn't see any of them in match 2.
- I didn't really miss maindeck Priests; there is almost no Oath in our meta (although this time 2 of my friends showed up with Show Oath) and exactly one Dredge player, so I preferred to focus in beating Paradoxical builds. And as I said earlier, against MUD, Displacer alone is good enough a lot of times.
- About the white sources: yes, this might be a problem. I lost Game 2 of the finals against Paradoxical Storm with Thalia GoT, Stony Slience and Kataki in hand and no white source. Anyway I prefer Stony Silence to Null Rod because is way too difficult to remove it (no Hurkyll's, Abrade, By Force nor Smelt). I'm considering replacing an off-color Mox for Lotus Petal to increase the white mana count, but I'm still not sold on it.
- Yes, Thalia HC is great. When you are on beatdown mode, the fact that opponent's creatures enters the battlefield tapped is invaluable. And it takes three full turns for them to actually get mana from the fetchlands. And is a 3/2 with First Strike, so even her numbers when we go aggro are huge.
- 31 sources is a lot of mana, but I'm playing Stonies, Spheres, Thorn and Thalias, so I don't wanna fall under my own taxing effects. Canopy would be a good idea to consider, but I feel comfortable with my 5 basic Plains (and sold my 2xFoil signed Canopies some time ago )
@Ten-Ten : The problem is that Holy Light cost 2W and I won't side out any of my taxing effects when playing against EtW/Pyros, so it will probably cost even more. And I want to be proactive, deploying threat after threat, so it will be difficult to hold 2W+ mana for Holy Light. So the idea is that the opponent won't be able to play so many tokens anyway.
EDIT to list my matches on the tournament:
- Round 1 lose (WLL) vs Jeskai Mentor, on the draw 1st game
- Round 2 win (WW) vs Leovold BUG, on the draw 1st game
- Round 3 win (WLW) vs Jeskai Mentor, on the draw 1st game
- Round 4 win (WW) vs Paradoxical Mentor, on the draw 1st game
- Round 5 ID vs Show Oath
- Top 8 win (WW) vs WUBG Beatdown, on the draw 1st game
- Top 4 win (WW) vs Traxos MUD, on the draw 1st game
- Final win (WLW) vs Paradoxical Storm, finally on the play 1st game
Total: 6-1 in matches, 13-4 in games.
@grr Thanks for the reply!
My mulligan strategy for this deck is that any hand without a white source has to be otherwise very strong in order to keep it. I've tried Lotus Petal before and it was ok but if I remember correctly I was less dependent on Null Rod/Stony Silence before Thorn was restricted. What I really want is exactly 1 (or occasionally 2) basic Plains in a game and that's it. But I really do want that one. I had experimented with Smuggler's Copter before for flying over board stalls as well as filtering but this version feels so reliant on Stony Silence that I don't think that's the right direction anymore.
I managed to play six matches with this list (with Swords subbed in for Holy Light) online last night. They were just Tournament Practice Room matches and there were some rogue-ish matchups but I did win all of them, so that's good. In a nutshell I beat:
- Oops All Spells
- Traxos Shops (with Tangle Wire and, I suspect Null Rod although I didn't see that)
- Jeskai Control
- a strange blue deck with Ancient Tomb, Mox Opal and Tinker
- 5-color Thieves
- Esper Outcome
Every match went to three games except vs. Shops. When this deck works and you resolve two or three disruptive permanents it's amazing and when they manage to deal with those and you draw all lands it just feels so bad and they vintage you.
Anyway, I really liked the Spheres, Stony Silence over Null Rod and cutting the maindeck Priests. I want to test more aginst Ravager Shops, especially.
ssasala last edited by
I feel like anytime anyone says they are favored over Shops hasn't tested the matchup enough. Basic Plains are great in the matchup. I will have to do some testing with Spheres.
I think in preparation for EW I recommend putting Priests back in the 60. Dredge and Oath are inevitable matchups in sanctioned magic.
Nice job on the finish. Did you ever try Serenity in the sideboard?
Sovarius last edited by
@drstreetmention Unrelated sorry, but what was the 5c Thieves like? I haven't heard of a list but if you know it exists and can point it out i would appreciate it.
@sovarius I hadn’t seen it before but it seemed like Grixis Thieves plus Mentor. He had Key/Vault and Tinker/Blightsteel and, at least after board, Balance. I don’t know what the green was for but at one point he had one of each blue dual plus Academy out.