White Eldrazi

• I know that my experience might not really be that valueable, I don't have any tournaments to back it up except local 4-0 and 3-1 with Boin's list.
    Sol Ring is something I rather decided to cut, because usually the deck just simply wanted to play something on turn 1 and if possible not get it countered. I had (still have) Black Lotus in the deck which allows for some t1 TKS or something but usually when I had access to the card a better play was to play a Thorn and following turn I usually had the 4 mana I needed to cast the spell anyway. I lost more games to having Lotus and not a Mox than vice-versa. I run all five Moxen and would not play less. What number of sources is necessary is a question. I think that if the deck won't rely too much on the Eldrazi (Reality Smasher) it does not need to play that many sources, but it still wants to have access to 2 mana on turn one.

I also had Trinisphere in the deck instead of Chalice of the Void and noticed that I managed to win more games because of that Sphere than when I had the possibility to play Chalice.

This deck seemed to want an explosive start the same way Eldrazi wanted and without over 27 sources this deck just can't do that. But it is possible that one does not need that because it is more of a Prison deck than stompy. Sitting behind Thorns works as well and is usually safer than wondering if your opponent has the Force of Will or not. It's not like 1 TKS will certainly win the game.

I actually like Recruiter of the Guard in the deck and will have to try it. It may not be as crazy as in Legacy but being able to find a hatebear seems pretty good (or an additional creature).

I struggle with Shops but maybe I'm doing something wrong. :-/

What I wonder is why Boin likes Vryn Wingmare. I played that before but Thalia, Heretic Cathar often has similar effect since many decks run fetchlands and nonbasic lands but also affects creatures coming into play. The card has First Strike and is quite a beater unlike the Wingmare and can block Foundry Inspectors/Fleetwheel Cruiser and other creatures all day. The only downside I see is that Thalia is a legendary creature so you can't have two in play and it can be bounced with Karakas...

(time to try wappla's list instead)

• Did anyone try thalia v1 + thalia v2 + Vryngmare ? Cutting Reality Smasher (so the aggro part) to emphasize the prison part.

• @CwaM I tried. Honestly not for long because I did not like it from game 1 and I'm not really sure if I want to give it a second chance, but maybe it is just me having a problem with Vryn Wingmare. I was always taking one or the other out when boarding. I usually just put the Wingmares in my sideboard and kept Thalias. In rare occasions I kept both and cut Smashers. (I played 3/3/3 of those). When I was taking out Thalia, Heretic Cathar I usually put in Spirit of the Labyrinth. Thalia usually dies on first occasion while Wingmare stays in play. But I don't usually manage to kill someone with Wingmares, they need help from the Eldrazi creatures.

(I was just trying to figure out which creatures work best for me so my sideboard wasn't really a sideboard but rather cards I considered playing main deck. On the other hand I came to conclusion that I'd rather play 4 Null Rod. )

• TMD Supporter

I maintain that playing glowrider because it is a human is better than vryn for flying.

• @garbageaggro This is one I'm torn on - problem being that one of the decks the flying is better with will just counter the horse as it's not being cast through cavern. Has anyone tried a split?

• I don't think that you should be playing either to be honest.

• I ran into a white hatebears deck with only TKS the other day. It ran Ancient Tomb into four copies of new Thalia, along with the usual suspects. It was pretty interesting and looked quite tough to beat. It also ran 4 copies of Spirit of the Lab, which I'm assuming makes the Outcome matchup pretty good?

• @Topical_Island said in White Eldrazi:

I ran into a white hatebears deck with only TKS the other day. It ran Ancient Tomb into four copies of new Thalia, along with the usual suspects. It was pretty interesting and looked quite tough to beat. It also ran 4 copies of Spirit of the Lab, which I'm assuming makes the Outcome matchup pretty good?

As long as the P.O. player isn't on the play!

• @msg67183 Yeah, fair. I think the list had at least some Moxen, so other than haveing 4 Thalia, 4 Thorn i'm not sure what else can be done in terms of that matchup. 1 Chalice? I'm not sure if it had that.

• @Topical_Island Null Rod or Stony Silence. Still you need to put it into play fast and be on play if possible. This deck has good t1 plays against the deck.

• @Topical_Island said in White Eldrazi:

@msg67183 Yeah, fair. I think the list had at least some Moxen, so other than haveing 4 Thalia, 4 Thorn i'm not sure what else can be done in terms of that matchup. 1 Chalice? I'm not sure if it had that.

Well if I were on White Eldrazi, id play Null Rod AND Thorn AND ThaliaS main AND 3-4 Mindbreak Trap in the board. The matchup is EXTREMELY reliant on the Die Roll it's ridiculous!

• TMD Supporter

Some Eldrazi builds at the LCV 2016 Top8 of the Final tournament.

Stay tuned for decklists!

• TMD Supporter

Oh man, did you see the list from the top 8 of the Japanese Vintage Gods tournament (68 players), had 3 Palace Jailer and 2 Razormane Masticore. Also running porcelain legionnaire Deck list is either super innovative or very lucky, I am intrigued. List here: http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD21550S/

• Palace jailer is interesting, but seems a bit odd against lots of decks. Against decks without creatures, triggered does nothing (but as long as it draws a card each turn, seems fine). Against decks with creatures, it's slow and there is a good possibility that even after you exile a creature, when jailer leaves battlefield you can easily lose the monarch, giving the advantage to opponent. However if these problems don't arouse, the card gives great advantage. Worth trying it in certain metagames.

• TMD Supporter

I will point out the positive interaction with Displacer, which can steal back the monarch by flickering palace jailer.

• I will also point out the interaction with Containment Priest which just leaves their guy exiled.. Jailer is sweet unless your opponent is playing combo; it's too bad it'll never be on MTGO (not that I play MTGO anyway).

• Jailer is interesting and it wouldn't surprise me if more than one resolves because people have no idea there is bolt on card drawing. Definitely an interesting build with the new mens, does the bord need more stony though? Bit of a must have these days I'd have thought, but White drazi builds do like their mana rocks...

• won the quarterly Gatherling tournament with this last week, going 5-1, 10-2 in games. Thought-Knot and Displacer are weak cards. I knew they were weak before the P9 and regretted playing them when I knew better. Replacing them with almost anything halfway aggressive would be an upgrade. This build improved the deck's worst matchup significantly.

Avacyn and Gisela are not very good, but I did win the final game of the tournament by flashing Avacyn through Tangle Wire and dealing the full 20 damage with it. Fragmentize is useless and should be replaced by a card that does something.

Ballista is about to change the metagame significantly, no promises whether this stuff is good going forward.

• @wappla So this is basically a standard deck in Vintage. Pretty awesome. Nice deck man.

• TMD Supporter

@wappla Why do you say that Thought Knot and Displacer are weak? It looks like the Exemplar and Copter push the deck in a more aggressive and less disruptive direction. Is this the right way to go?

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.